Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy with attitude!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by wench85, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wench85

wench85 PetForums Newbie

I have an 8 week old Samoyed.

I know that is is normal for a puppy to nip and to bite, but when I tell him not to do something, such as chew wires or eat his puppy pad he starts to bark and growl at me and lunges forward to bite my arms/hands/legs/feet anything he can get at really. He doesn't just nibble on my arms but really sinks his teeth in to me. I try and replace the chewing of my body parts with a chew toy of his which will keep him occupied for a few seconds, until I move and then the focus is back on to me, I have tried to ignore this behaviour and withdraw play but he will just follow me and bite at my feet until i'm gone and then he will cry for me to come back. Any advice?

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

He needs to learn bite inhabition. I have never had a puppy, but apparantely you have to squeal and walk away, as this is what his litter mates would do.

I'm sure somebody will come along with experience x

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

If he bites yelp or say ouch and ignore him which is what his litter mates would do. Also try finding a sound that stops him doing something bad hey works on my dogs and use that if he's chewing something you don't want and the reward him for chewing toys. He's very young still and just learning.

4. Marlon

Marlon PetForums Newbie

just a learnin curve

5. wench85

wench85 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I have tried saying ow or things along those lines but this just makes him want to bite me more! I will try using something loud, someone suggested using a tin can with some stones in it.

6. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

Sometimes yelping doesnt help though , ive tried it with my pup and it just falls on def ears!!

yeah try and find a loud noise he doesnt like and use that. ive found out that my pup really hates my hair dryer so if shes near it and does something naughty i quickly turn it on and point it to her and she runs a mile!!!

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Google an article called "The Bite Stops Here".

I think there's a sticky on here on nipping, too.

Oh, and don't rely on "telling him" not to eat wires. Make sure he CAN'T. Or else your cute little white fluffy bundle is going to end up even fluffier ;)

8. wench85

wench85 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, I will google that now.

Hopefully when he has had his injections puppy classes will help with controlling him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice