Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy with a bad tum - advice needed?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sophieanne93, Nov 6, 2012.

1. sophieanne93

sophieanne93 PetForums Member

We've had demon a week and a half now and he is constantly having runny poo, I know they do initially as its a change of routine/diet etc but it's not getting any better? The vet advised feeding chicken and rice but he will not touch it and also we were given a paste to feed him which is like a prebiotic to calm his gut and still no better. Any one got any ideas? Or should I take him back to the vet?

2. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

How much are you feeding in one go? Pups should be fed little and often, and it can sometimes be a sign they are being fed too much. Body can't cope and it all comes out the other end. What brand are you feeding now?

3. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

You could try white fish and rice or a wee bit of potatoe, remind me how old wee Demon is I've forgotten the wee darlings age. What was the breeder feeding him and did he have the runs when you got him home or did he develop it after his introduction.

4. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Maybe call the vets.

He could have a tummy bug. Alfie had one from 8 weeks old, he had a stool sample and he had campylobactor, this needs a course of antibiotics to clear up.
    It persisited so he had another sample only to find he had giardia, he could of had this from a pup too or he could of caught it.

I would get a stool sample to the vets to be sure tbh, also is he wormed?

5. sophieanne93

We feed him 3 times a day on wainrights puppy kibble. He has had a bad gut since we bought him home I think the breeder fed them on pedigree which I know is pants and got given cows milk a few times apparently :eek: he's comin up 9 weeks

6. BoredomBusters

I would take him back to the vet, when did you last see him? I'm not a fan of wainwrights, but there's a possibility if the breeder fed her bitch on pedigree all through the pregnancy, while feeding the pups, and then gave it to the pups that he now can't stomach anything better.

I usually advise leaving a pup on what the breeder gave them for the first few weeks so it's not so much of a shock to the system all at once. I'm hestitant to say try changing him back in case there is something else wrong with him and he's so young and tiny, but it's something you might want to think about.

7. sophieanne93

I saw the vet on Saturday whilst having his first jab done. My other dog was fed on beta which as I've seen on the dry food page is naff and she was fine she is now on wainrights and is fine so we tried demon on it too but his gut just won't settle so maybe another vet trip is in order!

8. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Did the vet give you ProColin? (The paste you said you were given) when my pup had a bad tummy i used this and it settled in a couple of days. Try starving for 24 hours to completely clear your pups system, then slowly try a mouthful of cooked chicken every couple of hours. i hope Demon gets better soon!

9. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

As he still only a baby his tum may need a gentler food like naturediet wet or a special one from the vets yes I know the dreaded Hills but sometimes a week of this can work. Once the tum seems ok try the kibble again.

10. BoredomBusters

Please don't starve a puppy.

11. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Im surprised the vet did the jab if the pup has been very bad with his tummy.

Alfie had to wait an extra week to what he was going to to make sure he was back to normal first.

12. sophieanne93

Yeah it was that paste but it hasn't seemed to do much. I'l try starve him for a day and see if that helps but he's a very hungry boy and will be hard seeing that sad little face lol unless I try just feeding him boiled chicken for a few days

13. sophieanne93

Really?? Would the jab also make his tummy funny? If I remember rightly indie was a bit gooey after her jabs. They told me not to worm him until hes better :/

14. BoredomBusters

Please don't starve your puppy! It's okay to starve adults, but not puppies. Please call your vet and get him back in to see them, or at least get some advice over the phone.

15. sophieanne93

I haven't starved him and nor am I going to. I've fed him boiled chicken breast to see if that helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice