Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy weaned onto "Adult" raw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Pieceofcake, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Pieceofcake

Pieceofcake PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We picked up our beautiful puppy at the weekend and he is settling in wonderfully. We got him from a very well respected breeder and she feeds all her dogs raw, and weans the pups onto raw.

She gave us a big bag of the raw food he was weaned onto to take home, but on reading more about it I've discovered it's for "adult" dogs and not a complete food (it's the free flow mince from Natures Menu).

I'm now worried he won't be getting the full nutrition he needs as a 9 week old puppy. I have bought a bag of Gentle cold pressed dog food as I have planned to gradually switch him to that for convience when camping and travelling, but I keep reading that their food shouldn't be changed for at least a few weeks when you get them home, then obviously gradually change. Just worried that in the meantime he is missing out on essential nutrition when he is so young.

Any experienced owners cast some advice please? Can i start adding some gentle to his raw? With a view to him being switched in a few weeks?

Ps. I am all for a raw diet but given my current circumstances I'd prefer to switch him. I've done lots of research and think Gentle sounds like the next best thing.

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Giving the same food as the breeder and being given a bag of food is a relatively new thing as is puppy food. Pups used to do perfectly well being taken home and fed on whatever the owner wanted to feed which was always adult food as that was all there was -sometimes with egg and weetabix or porridge for a couple of the meals and sometimes mince for the other feeds when they were very small..

I really do not see how raw food can be classified as adult or puppy. I would slowly introduce whatever it is you want to try him on. I do not feed a raw diet and I see no advantage to it and plenty of disadvantages (mainly convenience) so just decide what you want to feed and slowly introduce it over a week or so till you have him just on what you want. There are advantages to feeding the breeders food for the first few days as puppy will be having so many changes a change of food could upset them. Honestly, it is nothing I have even thought about when I get a puppy, I have always fed them on what I want to and never had any problems at all.

Pieceofcake likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I feed Gentle, even if you want to continue with raw it's handy to have for training rewards.

4. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Please purchase this little book, it's all about understanding the raw diet. "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". I find this little book easy to read and understand. It can be purchased from Amazon for as little as 1p.

Your puppy will be fine on the Natures Menu products if you vary the product. They also make "complete" meals. Our puppies HATED their frozen "puppy" nuggets, adult is absolutely fine.
    Raw and dry can be fed together without problems. Enjoy!

Jamesgoeswalkies and niamh123 like this.
  5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My pups have all had raw from the start with no problems one of the companies I buy from is the Dogs Butcher they do puppy food the only difference with their adult and puppy food is that the puppy food is minced smaller if your pup is doing okay on what he's being fed I wouldn't worry:)

wee man likes this.
  6. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

No such thing as puppy raw
    I've seen a litter of 6 cane corso, ripping a sheet of tripe apart, at 6 weeks, and then happily eating whatever size portion they managed to tear off
    Only thing to watch is bone content, cos, like adults, if its a little on the heavy side, its owchie to watch them strain, but, unlike adults, one hadn't got such large parameters to play with

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice