Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy walks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PN1892, Jan 8, 2021.

1. PN1892

PN1892 PetForums Newbie

Hello. Having lost my JRT aged 16 in July, I now have a beautiful 5 month old JRT.

currently taking him on 3 x 20 minute walks a day. Wondering if others think that's too much given his age. Personally I think he needs more

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Hi.

Small dogs mature much quicker than large dogs and have far less issues with joints.
    Personally I'd be starting to up the exercise, if you feel he needs it.
    A little warning though, the more you give, the more they want & expect ;):D

3. PN1892

PN1892 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, he defo needs more

rona likes this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well, it depends. Despite being a small breed, 5 months is still pretty young.

Are your walks on or off lead? I would increase off lead walks, but I'd still be wary about doing more than you already are if he's on lead.

If you feel he needs 'more', what are you doing in terms of training and mental stimulation? That will tire a dog out a lot more than walking.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  5. PN1892

PN1892 PetForums Newbie

Cheers. We do about 20 minutes training a day, mainly find at the minute
    .One walk is off lead playing fetch

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Fetch isn't great for young dogs - it's repetitive, and often involves twisting or quick stops, all of which put extra impact on their growing joints. More time where you puppy is off lead, going at their own pace is good, less time on the lead (again, that's repetitive, 'forced' movement) or playing fetch.

There's loads of fun tricks and commands you can teach, in addition to the usual puppy stuff, and mental stimulation particularly sniffing games are good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice