Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy vulva irritation/infection?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Bluebellacres, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluebellacres

Bluebellacres PetForums Newbie

Attached Files:

#1 Bluebellacres, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Bluebellacres

Attached Files:

#2 Bluebellacres, Jun 25, 2019
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Is it actually her vulva or just the skin on her tummy?

If it’s just her tummy it looks like a general skin infection. Unless she’s sitting in her own urine then it shouldn’t be that. The steroid and antibiotic gel sounds like a fairly usual treatment, if anything I wouldn’t expect the Metacam necessarily. What were you hoping for from the vet visit?

If you’re not happy with your vet’s response you could get a second opinion from another vet.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Bluebellacres

#4 Bluebellacres, Jun 25, 2019
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

In that case I guess it could be the urine. I’ve never heard of a dog sitting down to pee.

Sometimes with generic things like skin infections the vets just don’t know the specifics without running tests, or even if they did, the treatment would be the same. But if you’re not happy with you vet then do find a new one - vet care is far to important to not have a vet you can trust.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never heard of a dog sitting in its pee either. Why are you using puppy pads, your pup should be going outside to pee. I would go ahead and do as the vet has advised otherwise why did you go and not just keep the area clean and put something soothing on it and see what happened.

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Bluebellacres

#7 Bluebellacres, Jun 26, 2019
  8. Bluebellacres

Just a friendly tip. It would be helpful if you could use question marks, commas and full stops in your post. Your response was hard to read. I didn't know if you were asking something or just making a statement.

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Friendly tip... If you want to go au natural with your pets, then maybe having pets isn't the way to go.

From the picture that is more than a rash.

Steroids have a valued place in medicine.

Natural remedies, like pharmaceuticals also have things called side effects. Which can be detrimental to health.

To be rude to a long standing member, who also is a vet nurse and gives straight forward advice here wrong. You could do with using semi colons yourself, but it's a forum it's not that deep!

Blitz likes this.
  10. Bluebellacres

#10 Bluebellacres, Jun 26, 2019
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would call your post criticising another member's lack of punctuation judgemental.

I have no difficulty at all interpreting Blitz's posts.

I found your comments rather rude.

lullabydream and Blitz like this.
  12. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You got given great advice why you were given the treatment... It's pretty standard treatment and works a treat as a rule on most skin problems. That 9 times out of 10 never come back, or will never know exactly the reason why. Even if treated.

What Blitz said clearly was why ask a vet get treatment and then not give it a try. If you are unhappy with the said route, things like this need to be asked to the vet at the time. That's what they are there for. This is what she can't understand, and why others can't who probably read your posts, rolled their eyes and said nothing.

Then to criticise steroids that many dogs have as par for the course of certain treatments. Well nothing like scaremongering people and suggesting going natural. If that's what you want go to a homeopathic vet.

Blitz likes this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Just got back on here. Crikey, I have never been accused of bad grammar before. Thanks for the support @lullabydream and @Rafa . Hopefully the OP will sort her dog out without our help.

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

It would appear that the OP has deleted several of her posts so closing this now.
    :Locktopic

lullabydream and Blitz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice