Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy visit..good idea or recipe for disaster!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bethanjane22, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

So one of my closest friends has just got the most adorable little puppy. She is a 12 week old Cavachon.

She has suggested coming up to visit us sometime soon and wondered if the cats would like to meet the puppy too. Now, the girls have seen dogs out through the window and hear dogs barking from our neighbours on a daily basis. However, they have never come face to face with a dog before.

In the future (probably within their lifetimes) we will likely want to bring a dog into our family, as I've always had dogs growing up and have always wanted a dog of my own. It will not be until my partner and I have more time at home on a regular basis as I wouldn't want to leave a dog alone at home for as long as I feel comfortable leaving the cats.

So my question is, should I allow my friend to bring to puppy to the house for a quick visit? or will it potentially freak the girls out too much that they then associate negative things with dogs.

The girls will be able to get away from the pup if needs be, and if they look to be uncomfortable or scared, then we can take the pup out into the garden, and leave the girls securely in the house where they feel safe.

Am I looking at a potential disaster or could it be ok?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

NO. Your cats have enough trouble with stress as it is. No puppies. I'm shocked your friend even suggested it, unless they don't realize the problems you've been experiencing.

buffie, Treaclesmum and Bethanjane22 like this.
  3. Bethanjane22

My concerns are based on stress for the girls. I don't want to stress them out, especially now they have started to co-exist together quite well again.

I find that most of my friends don't really understand the amount of stress we've been through this year with the cats. Sadly most of the people I know are not cat people, so I get little sympathy from them.

I'll stick to my guns and suggest we meet up away from the house.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Bethan, I do agree with lorilu, that having a puppy visit is not a good idea, in view of the fairly recent upsets in Nova and Luna's relationship. If there is a truce between them now, that is excellent, but I wouldn't do anything that might rock the boat.

Lurcherlad and Bethanjane22 like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My cats are happy well adjusted cats, they even took a recent move in stride after living all their lives in the same place (shocking the heck out of me :) ) but not ever would I allow someone to bring a puppy (or a dog or any other animal) into my home.

People who want to drag their dogs to other people's houses is one of the most annoying things ever. lol

NFC slave and chillminx like this.
  6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Getting your own puppy who will remain a steady, controlled presence within the home, and a visit from a strange puppy/dog are two very different scenarios. I have to say that if I was in your current situation I would definitely not accept someone bringing their puppy/dog to my house. You really don't want to upset the apple cart at this stage. If your friend would like you to see the puppy, and you are equally keen (and who wouldn't be) then you should go to their place instead.

buffie, chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I agree with what others have said, no point stressing them with what will be a very brief encounter.
    I have a dog and cats but would never take my dog into the home of someone who had cats.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have to say I agree totally , bringing a puppy into the house would most certainly upset your girls.
    The strange scent alone would be enough to tip the balance even if they never actually saw the puppy.
    A friend I hadn't seen for years was passing on her way home from a dog show and suggested she drop by to show me her new pup who had been at his first show that day.
    We stayed outside in the back garden but stupidly I forgot Meeko could let himself out into his run , he spotted the dog and became very defensive growling and yelling at it.
    This is a cat who is used to being up close and sometimes a bit too " personal" with fox cubs in the garden and he was not happy at the dogs presence so much so that he spent a good while going round the house after my friend had left just to make certain it wasn't in the house.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Honestly, it’s not worth the risk of upsetting them in their own home (sanctuary) for the sake of a brief visit. Introducing a new pup as member of the family is quite different and you don’t want to spoil your chances going forward.

Be firm if friends think you’re fussing ;)

Your cats, your home, your rules.

Better to meet up somewhere else imo.

Friends don’t always have the same boundaries where dogs (and kids ;)) are concerned ime and it can cause tension if they don’t maintain control.

Tigermoon and chillminx like this.
  10. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

It wouldn't be fair on either Nova and Luna or the puppy and you wouldn't want to do something you'd regret afterwards so I agree with everyone else, it's not a good idea. Meetings between cats and dogs for the first time needs to be on a very controlled basis.

11. Bethanjane22

Thank you for all your replies, I appreciate it.

I’m sticking with my gut feeling, which was telling me it was a bad idea. I need to remember that cats are nothing like dogs!

It seems like the universe has decided for me that it’s a bad idea as my local area has been put on lockdown for the foreseeable, so no visitors allowed.

Now however, the girls will have to re-adjust to me working from home again...just as they’d gotten used to me not being here for most of the day!

chillminx likes this.
  12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So sorry to be reading that things have taken a turn for the worse in your area . It is a worrying time everywhere with restrictions being re imposed in may places .
    Stay safe x

13. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

You’ve made the right decision to be honest. I have cats and dogs, all get along well with the cats being the bosses, but we have had friends descend on us with dogs in toe, much to my annoyance. I am fortunate that I can put my cats in one half of the house so the damn dog visitor is kept well away. My cats are used to dogs but they do not like to hear another dog yapping and it does unsettle them, if they were to meet a strange dog in their house it would upset them for sure.

Sorry your on lock down again! Looks like my neck of the woods will be joining you soon! Stay safe

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice