Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy ups and downs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dickybirdclocks, Apr 14, 2011.

1. dickybirdclocks

dickybirdclocks PetForums Junior

Spoke tooo soon, spoke yesterday of puppy ridgeback settling down but today it seems he has other ideas. Seems intent on being a nuisance the only time he is not a nuisance is when he is sleeping.Biting more and harder and even came in from yard to pee on kitchen floor after seeming pretty much toilet trained apart from a little overnight wetting .It does wear you down hoping that in 6 days when he has his second vaccination that we can then start getting him out and about more to take his mind of biting and place it more on things around him. Going to take him out for an hour this afternoon and walk round market with him and then visit pets at ho**.He does seem intent on pushing the boundaries a slap on his backside with a rolled newspaper does have a little benefit but with him being so big and strong it must be more of a distraction than anything that hurts him that obviously we dont want to do .Any tips would be readily accepted.

2. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Hi there,

I am having the same issues but with a 5 month lab.... so I feel your frustrations, and will wait here with you for some one to part words to wisdom :D

Just keep repeating, it will get better :rolleyes:

3. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

Are you still going out into the garden with him every time he goes out - and making sure that he performs when out there, then giving praise? You need to keep doing this for some time yet.
    I would NOT suggest hitting him - even with a rolled up newspaper. I would recommend distracting him away from the behaviour you don't want - either with an alternative toy, or by calling him to you and giving him a treat for coming to you. Have you taught him to sit yet? It is a good idea to have several short training sessions a day. Teach him to sit, down, wait, recall, stay etc. If you tire his brain out, you will tire him out. You could play hide and seek with toys with him in the garden. The more time and effort you put into him now, the more you will both get out of your relationship :)

4. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Hiya,

Link blleow give some great insight into pup behavior and how to work at behaviors using reward based methods, I would not recommend u hitting a pup or a fully grown dog at that, it teaches them nowt and u could build on fear by doing so, Dr Ian Dunbar methods below r fab 4 pupsters.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER You Get Your Puppy.pdf

Have u got him booked into a pup class once his jabs r sorted, would also highly reocmmend this as well, great 4 u and the dog to build a relationship and work together, teaches handling skills and giving commands etc, all good fun :)

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, there are plenty of ways to deal with bad behaviour that are kinder and more effective than a newspaper. Perhaps if you tell us exactly what the problems are we can give you some ideas? :)

Someone told me once that puppies aren't trying to make your life difficult or trying to take over the world - they're just being puppies :D

6. golfchick

golfchick PetForums Senior

they're hard work for sure but you just have to stick to your guns with the ridgies and do the same thing every day and one day I think stuff just clicks and sinks in. Our ridgeback just hit 11 weeks and went on her first walk today and has just gone a week without waking us up over night and some days I realise things must be clicking as she hasnt done the problem anywhere near as much as the day or week before.

7. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Apparently if you let out a high pitched yelp when he bites and then walk off and ignore him for a few minutes it's supposed to simulate what the pack would do if playing got too rough....

Our choccie lab used to mouth a lot when she was young, especially when teething and we did the above - it worked but we had to make sure that EVERYONE did it all of the time......

Hang in there - it will be worth it.....

Gimme 3 weeks and I'm sure I'll be posting puppy trials and tribulations on here too when Bodie is home... Thank goodness that there is somewhere to vent and seek advice... How on earth did we cope before this interweb stuff?!? :blink:

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Things got much better for us at the 16 week point although Kilo still has his moments as do they all ;).

The things I found helped were:
    1. Providing as much mental stimulation as physical.
    2. Dividing training up into loads of bite sized chunks, 2-3 mins here and there whilst so young.
    3. Routine is everything.
    4. Ignoring bad behaviour and redirecting reaps rewards.
    5. A crate is brilliant for time out when the behaviour is due to being over tired or over stimulated (not as punishment, put in with a toy and treat and leave to wind down for a few minutes).
    6. Food is GOD to a RR...they will work very hard for it.
    7. No matter how angry or frustrated I feel I keep a nice slow, calm, quiet, but firm tone of voice.
    8. They pick up your body language in an instant, so be aware of your posture etc.

I have read lots of books and really like Patricia McConnell's 'benevolent leader' stance.

Try and get to know each bit of your dog's body language / behaviour and you will work out how to manipulate it to your advantage. For instance, Kilo hates to be ignored...if he behaves badly, he is ignored or removed from the situation and interaction resumes when his behaviour improves. The beauty is they are such an intelligent breed that they learn very fast - although that goes for bad and good behaviours :rolleyes:

I have a little mantra when I have one of those moments where I could scream...'ignore the bad, praise the good'.

And if you have got this far :eek: Kilo's breeder told me to never, never use any physical punishment such as scruffing / hitting with newspaper as they are very sensitive dogs with memories like an elephant's and they never, ever forget.

babycham2002 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice