Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy troubles!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by seratobyflynn, Apr 23, 2011.

1. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

My Flynn is usually a good boy. He's 10 1/2 weeks and chews everything which we are getting resolved with toys so that's getting better. But he has taken to biting me (and only me) until I bleed! It's usually in our playtime he'll put down his toy and come and bite me if I say no and move my hands away he backs up and lunges at me!

I think he is just playing rough which is something he does with me and no one else I also think he is bored (2 1/2 weeks until he can go outside) but what can I do? I think he sees me as the 'leader' as I am here all day, feed, teach, play etc and my mum thinks he might be testing his dominance but any suggestions on how I should counter this?

I want to point out this is only for a short time a few times a day he does this but it's enough for my hands to have a good few cuts on them! The rest of the time he is clever, cuddly and sweet!

Sorry for the long post, it's not a huge problem but I want to nip it in the bud now so it doesn't develop into an aggression problem with age!

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi,

What you're describing really is normal puppy behaviour. He isn't trying to assert his dominance and it doesn't mean he will become aggressive, it's just what puppies do. Although obviously you want to teach him that the behaviour isn't ok :)

An often-recommended way to teach him bite inhibition is to let out a high pitched 'ow' whenever his teeth touch your skin, as this mimics what his littermates would have done in play. This worked well for me with Kenzie, but some people don't find it works. It's a good place to start though. I would also move out of Kenzie's reach (put my feet up on a chair etc) and ignore her for a few minutes when she bit me - she soon got the message that biting ends any attention she was getting. Some people suggest swapping for a chew toy but I didn't do this.

I think it's important that you're consistent though, and it may take a bit of time before you really notice results. Good luck :)

3. seratobyflynn

See that's what I said! Too many cooks make me a worried owner. I can see where my mum was trying to help but I just thought 10 weeks is still very young. Think I will try the techniques as you said and make sure everyone else does too. The consistency thing needs work I think. We tried switching for a toy but by that point he's so hyped up he's not interested! Getting out of the way and making a high pitched noise. Let's see how that goes! Thanks!

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yeah - I think most people here agree the dominance thing is an out-dated concept. He's a puppy, he's not trying to take over the world :)

5. seratobyflynn

I'd like to see him try! I've seen French fries bigger than him!

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

What I always used to do, if you can bear it, is to keep my hand perfectly still when he bites it. You can add the high pitched squeal if you want, but by pulling your hand away you are encouraging him to chase it. He thinks it is all part of the game.

Until he can go out, you could try a game of ball or tug with him in the garden; that should wear him out a bit.

8. seratobyflynn

Thanks! I think I'm going to give yelps a go first. I do try not to pull away but them little teeth are like needles!! Need to build up some callouses!

I will try to do a few bits of training with the play, you can see when he changes from playing to bitey playing so I think it should be easy to gage! He's very clever and I think that's why he's getting bored. He picked up sit, down, leave, wait and more within 2/3 try's and now does them almost every time you say - the only time he doesn't is when he is being nutty!

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I see how moving away could encourage the game, but if you put yourself out of his reach then he can't try to carry on the game because there's no way he can. With Kenzie I found if I stood still and ignored her or didn't pull away, she would still keep nipping me, even if I ignored her. If I put my feet up on a chair and ignored her, she really got the message that I was ignoring her :)

10. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice