Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy 'Treats'

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bluesupero, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

My Puppy will be coming to live with us in2 weeks, shes a Border Collie and will be 8 weeks old.
    I would like some advice on food 'Treats' to give her, to aid her training, Toilet, Obedience etc....
    She is on fish 4 pups food.
    I was in pets a t home and they had lots of puppy treats from 3 months , which I must say looked really 'Unhealthy', plus she will be too young for them.
    Is the dried liver a much better option, or is there a similar fish treat on the market.
    I am new to all of this, so your help will be greatly appreciated,
    T I A
    Lol

2. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

I have a Border Collie pup she is 6 months old now though...

With the treats i would steer clear of the likes of bakers and pedigree they are full of nasties and will more than likely give the pup the poops stick to natural treats Fish4Dogs do some really good treats or things like little cubes of cheese or sliced cocktail sausages work great too.

As for the toilet training don't bother with puppy pads or newspaper i did and wished i didn't my carpet was ruined and it just confused her when i started to train her in the garden. Take pup out after sleep,play and food and pup will need to go throughout the night a few times for the first few weeks, I really suggest you get a crate and crate train it really helped me with toileting training, with the theory that a dog won't "dirty or wet" their beds.

For training do it in short bursts not too much as it won't be fun i do 10 min sessions every day or so ...............

Thats all i can think of for now but enjoy your pup! and we need lots of photos...........

3. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

4. bluesupero

bluesupero PetForums Member

Thanks so much for the advice, as I want to make sure I do the right thing, in every way. My friends BC had adverse effects to certain treats, actually having seizures, so that scared the life out of me.
    I won't be doing the newspaper and pad thing, as decided to do constant garden trips, I am fortunate in that I am around every day, so have all the time in the world.
    Thanks again,
    Lol

5. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

we made tuna training treats for Piper when she was little, and homemade biscuits and liver cake. Plus cheese and occasionally sausage.

6. speug

speug PetForums VIP

When Angus was young and gullable he used to get bits of his normal food as treats for training as he was earning so many. When he got wise to the fact that he got all the unearned bits for free at his next mealtime I switched to usually using the pick 'n mix puppy bone biscuits from p@h (often broken into 2-3 pieces as he doesn't actually need a whole one to mark that he's been good) and occasional human treats like bits of chicken or sausage depending what I've had that's not going to cause problems (he thinks he'd like curry but I refuse to let him try).
    In my experience collies can have quite sensitive digestive systems and don't cope too well with rich foods or colourings and I tend to avoid anything by pedigree or bakers

7. Bits of cheese, hotdog etc is perfect

Liver cake is smelly therefore excellent ;)

#7 New Puppy Mum, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  8. brunoblacklab

brunoblacklab PetForums Newbie

I agree Fish4Dogs treats are great but I have recently started treating my Black Lab to Trixie Premio treats. They're light as well which is great for Bruno.

If you look on Pet Plus Essentials Ltd I think they list the whole range pretty much. Banana Chicken, Salmon Cookies, Fish Wraps, they look really healthy and natural

Hope this helps

9. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Cocktail sausages or cheese cut up into tiny pieces always go down really well in this house.

I think the absolute favourite here is the diced ox heart from Morrisons boiled then chopped up really small. They love it but we don't do it that often as the smell when it's cooking isn't great!!

10. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

fish4dogs have an offer on their chews at the moment. Sea Jerky - Fish Bones
    at less than half price.
    bargain deals
    Also check out the recipe thread and you can make your own treats.

11. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

Maybe buy a bit of chicken (thighs are cheap) and cook it ? some of the treats are so expensive and nutritionally not great. Some meats you can even cut into puppy portions and freeze.
    When I was doing puppy training we just had a roast chicken in the fridge most of the time, grab a handful and train. If it was getting near the end it became a meal supplement. They never grew tired of it and even now they will do anything for a fresh bit of roast chicken.
    Mind your fingers though lol

12. Petizen

Petizen PetForums Newbie

Cheese, sausage and sometimes chicken did the trick. I haven't tried liver cakes but sounds like a good idea. He is not very fussy but is always asking for whatever we eat!:)

13. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

fish for dogs stars are great.

But bits of fruit. Blueberrys. Apple. Banana. Cheese. Hot dog. All natural and gives you chance to see what your dog most likes.

Bailey will do anything for a bit of apple. Novak for some cheese.

Oddly enough Novak would walk over hot coals for a brewers yeast tablet lol. Sadly can't use those as treats lol.

14. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

When I had a puppy I used pieces of dried food or puppy biscuits broken up for training. The exception was cooked chicken or ham at training class :D

Now I have adult dogs I get a grip seal bag and put some biscuits in with some cheese and what doesn't get used in a session will get put back in the fridge for next time :)

Always use something of higher value at training class to help keep puppies attention better ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice