Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy treats and chews

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by merlin39, Jun 9, 2010.

1. merlin39

merlin39 PetForums Member

Hello all i have a 10 week old pup who loves his food! He is fed on eukanuba (if thats how you spell it) lamb and rice puppy food.
    we were guilty in the early days of over feeding him and he got the runs but we seem to have mastered it now! he has about 55/60 grams (is this enough for a spaniel cross?) 3 times a day. we were told by the breeder not to introduce him to other foods, treats etc for a while as it might up set him. we know however he would love a chew or two!
    we have some puppy tubos and he has had half of one of those and been fine, when can we start to give him a raw hide or simmilar to chew on? fortunalty there is someone home all day with him and but we want to get him used to us going out for a few hrs at a time and were thinking if we left him with a chew/rawhide this might help pass the time!
    does anyone have any other suggestions about chewy things he might like? and won't upset him!
    thanks
    Merlin

2. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

I can't remember exactly how old Monty was when we introduced raw hide. Mostly we read what the treats said was appropriate for the age, and bought treats the right size for him (e.g. small to begin with).
    When we first introduced raw hide we keep a close eye on him and he was fine. I think he was about 3 months old.
    He loves the stuff now! Oh and pigs ears, to him they are heaven!
    There are plenty of puppy specific treats out there, oh and a puppy kong is a good idea too :)

3. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

No rawhide until they're at least 6 months old, this is because rawhide can splinter and it also swells up in the stomach, :eek: I don't give it to my dog at all, there's plenty of other chews around. :)

For puppy chews, has your pup got nylabones? They do a great range of puppy chews which are all non toxic and if they swallow the nylon it passes through and doesn't cause damage. I got a set of puppy teething keys and my dog adored them.

Pigs ears would be ok to give, as would pizzle, chicken foot or a stuffed hoof as they're all natural :thumbup:

I'd recommend you get a kong too and get your pup used to quiet time with a kong, they're great boredom busters and some pups like to suckle on them like a dummy.

4. merlin39

thanks guys he has a puppy kong but seems to lose interest fairly quickly with it mind you we put his food kibble in it as we were told not to give him other treats, maybe if i buy the kong branded treats for them he will get more enjoyment?! He also has a nylabone and a treat ball both of which occupy him for about 2 or 3 mins then he wanders off! think his attention spand might be to short him being so young!!
    Will keep trying!!!
    merlin:D

5. merlin39

oh yes and we do have some pigs ears but it says on the packet not suitble for under 4 months?? can we give him one or not??:confused::

6. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

We only tried Monty on pigs ears a couple of weeks ago (he is 6 months old now). Not sure on age limit for them, if you get from a pet shop it might say on the packet.

We found Monty didn't like nylabones, but paddywacks and pigs ears seem to be his choice these days :)

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We got Holly a kong and she hated it, she'd eat the end off of the biscuit and then not try to get the rest out. However now she's getting fed some raw, we squish some raw food into it and freeze it, and she's entertained for the best part of an hour trying to get all the food out :) Just make sure you take the weight of the food off of your pups daily meal intake.

Nylabones are awesome :) Definately something to get your pup into. P@H do a 3 bone puppy starter kit where it has bones aged from 2 months, 3 months and 4 months due to the hardness of the bones. You can also get edible Nylabones, but just make sure your pup doesn't eat them too quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice