Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Training -Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Harleydog, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Harleydog

Harleydog PetForums Newbie

I have a 10 week cocker spaniel who seems really cleaver- we have nailed sit, come (when not distracted), wait, lie down, paw etc.

I am however really struggling with manors...

She is very mouthy and after reading up on how to deal with this, it seems to have no effect. So yelping when she bites hard, doesn’t work, or if you tell her no, she gets even more excited and bites.

Also we have a cat, they get on fine but she barks like mad when she gets excited with her- I’m trying positive training in all aspects but am struggling- any advice would be great full!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

She simply won't understand 'no' - to her it's just another sound. This is just an extension of the boisterous play she had with hher littermates but she needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people do find a sharp 'ouch' works but as you have seen, it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach her that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as she makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - she will learn. You could use a house line to draw her away, which keeps your hands out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Just to add to @JoanneF excellent advice. She's 10 weeks old... It will take time to stop a puppy nipping. A lot of patience, a lot of getting up and moving out the room, a lot of time. Don't change tactics because you think it's not working. It will be, just puppies when aroused, or any dog when aroused can loose their head a bit.

Cockers can be terrible nippy, bitey pups. They don't get nicknamed cockerdiles for no reason

Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice