Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Training Classes?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by millybultitude, Nov 29, 2013.

1. millybultitude

millybultitude PetForums Junior

Just wanted to know if any of you had any good or bad experiences with puppy classes?
    My class is good, but my puppy, who's only 13 weeks…is being so naughty, biting, barking, growling, we've been there for two sessions and the whole things lasts over 6 weeks…I hope she'll get better over the sessions though...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AOTN1984

AOTN1984 PetForums Junior

I took Teas to her first training class at 13 weeks. It was one of these classes where they don't use treats or clickers. I wasn't completely against this and, as the class was just round the corner from us and the first one was free, I thought I would give it a try. I hated it. As well as no treats, you weren't lowed to praise your dog. Tess didn't respond well to it and I found it really hard not making a big fuss over her.

So, we enrolled in another class. This one uses treats. The classes are also much smaller - six dogs rather than 18. Tess has learned a lot, as have I. She was manic on her first two classes and just wanted to play with the other dogs. Calmed down by week three. We still have two weeks to go but she is doing really well. Can now to sit, down, drop it, leave it, recall, walk to heel, lead walking and stay. I have loved the classes and Tess seems to really enjoy them too.

Tess was terrible for biting but she has really improved over the last few weeks - she is four and a half months now. Growls when she plays and barks when she hears a noise outside. Definitely getting better though and she is, 99% of the time, well behaved. I've been trying hard to allow her to spend plenty of time with other dogs - puppies so she can play and learn social skills, and older dogs so she can learn from them.

Em

3. millybultitude

Yeah we're having our third session on Monday so I'll have to let you know! But she's a good girl really just naughty in classes, she's easily distracted. Can't think of how you train them without praise or titbits.. bit silly in my opinion

4. AOTN1984

I can see the logic behind the no treats rule, but the no praise just seemed so harsh! I make a massive fuss when Tess so much as thinks about being good lol.

Hope the third class goes well :)

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Can you? How do you mean?

I greatly contribute to Tescos massive profits the way I go through packets of their cocktail sausages....LOL

6. staffgirl

staffgirl PetForums Senior

OP - Sounds like you're doing OK. It can take weeks for adult dogs to settle into a new class, let alone a young puppy for whom everything is just so exciting! If you like the teaching techniques and culture of the class, keep at it.

Personally I too train with treats, as well as other forms of praise and reward. For some dogs it's a game with a favourite toy rather than food, depends what floats their boat. Once your dog has really understood what you're training them to do (for which food lures/rewards can be massively helpful in getting you to that point) you can then begin to phase out and randomise the treat. It's no big deal.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I took my pup to 2 different training classes. On Mondays we went to a small 'private' trainer to go in a class of about 8 pups for a 10-week course. I knew the trainer from my agility club, and clicker-training was encouraged. All positive methods and treats.

On Wednesdays we went to a KC registered dog training club with volunteer trainers. There could be any number of pups there, and were usually around 15-20. That was positive methods too, but didn't encourage clicker training (though I used my clicker there anyway). You could stay in that class until you were 'moved up' to the next grade or decided not to come any more, or the dog got too old to be a pup, which would be around 7 months.
    I knew the club too, from joining it with my older rescue dog when I first got her. I still go most weeks in winter, to give the dogs something to do. Both are in 'advanced' class now.

Kite was a very easy, calm pup and did well at both classes.

8. AOTN1984

When we started training, Tess really wasn't that interested in treats. Hence I could see the benefit in not using treats. I had assumed, though, that the treats would be replaced with praise, loads of fuss or a game of tug with a toy.

Anyway, we are now well and truly into training with treats and it is going really well. Had a lovely walk this morning. All off lead. Lots of recall. Worked every time (except one when she saw several dogs and wanted to play. We had to call for her a few times then!).

We are slowly replacing treats with loads of fuss instead. So far so good!

The local pet shop owner has just bought a beautiful new house and car thanks to the number of treats and toys we bit Tess!

9. millybultitude

Haha! I bet, yeah she's getting there so fingers crossed thanks x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice