Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Toilet Training

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DeeDubelU, May 26, 2018.

1. DeeDubelU

DeeDubelU Our special boy ❤️

Hi, we just got a new puppy, and whilst we have purchased cleaning items for ‘incidents’ indoors we are a little curious as to why puppy, after being taken out at the advised times - after feeding, sleeping, playing.......no matter how long he’s out there he seems determined to come back indoors and go to the toilet in the house? Is there a reason he’s does this? Any suggestions on how we can deter this and get him to go outside would be greatly received. Thank you in advance

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What do you do at night time?

How long have you had puppy?

Are you leaving the cleaning products enough time to work before you wipe away? They need time to work to break down urine and odours.

3. DeeDubelU

We have only had him a couple of nights, we are not expecting miracles it’s just confusing that in all we have read and all the guidelines he’s doing this? I wondered if it was something weird doing wrong?
    The breeder told us he was paid trained, and whilst I don’t agree with pads we have put them down at night, we have put his bed in our room and I have got up with him soon as he wakes and taken him outside, but he seems to wait until he comes back indoors before going to the toilet?

4. DeeDubelU

Also, he’s not going in the same place when he does come in? So it’s not like he’s picked a spot he likes and the smell is there and that’s where he’s going, I would understand that. We’re happy to persevere but didn’t want it to be something we’re doing that’s causing it, or whether it was normal puppy behaviour I guess?

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

He maybe just feels more safe indoors. Keep taking him out, a lot, and when he toilets outside make it seem like the best thing ever, with fabby treats and OTT praise. Every outdoor toilet is a step in the right direction. Set him up for success by taking him out even more than he needs.

6. Little-blue-frenchie

Little-blue-frenchie PetForums Newbie

Can you wait longer outside and keep walking round with the puppy? What do you do when they then go in the house? With ours we picked him straight up (didn’t tell him off) but put him outside. We just kept doing this and taking him out ALL the time, not just when they’ve eaten etc, it was like every 20 minutes and a treat when they do it right.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  7. lullabydream

Sounds like you are doing everything right!

Yeah puppy pads give mixed signals.

New puppies are overwhelmed by their new surroundings so quite often they forget when going into the garden and find it all a bit too exciting. It's waiting for them to go. Sometimes it's easier if they are on a lead so they can't wander off and think oh this smells good....oh what's that etc. So they don't have the ability to go far.

I would add a cue so as soon as they start say the word. Praise etc as normal. The cue will take time to proof but helps.

I know the weather is hot but try and keep a barrier between outside and in..ie a door encourages the sphincter to develop to hold again takes time and depending on breed might take slightly longer by weeks.

Try and ignore those that toilet trained their dogs in days..they are either highly skilled..and know a great deal or liars... Most would be the latter.

8. DeeDubelU

Thank you x let the fun begin

9. DeeDubelU

Thank you, I think I just wanted reassuring that it’s normal, I haven’t had a dog since I was a girl and cannot remember x your words are very welcome

10. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

It does sound as though he needs to go out more than your actually doing, Emma went outside every 45 mins when we got her, I even took her out during the night & she very soon got the idea but each puppy is different. You will get to know your pups imminent signs it's still very early days for you both. Check out tbe Puppy Support thread at the top of the page, it's long but you will find invaluable information in there that you haven't even realised you might need yet :rolleyes:
    Oh & pictures of puppies are obligatory on here ;)

DeeDubelU likes this.
  11. DeeDubelU

Thank you. Apologies, I’m new mummy and didn’t know the rules

Attached Files:

12. lullabydream

Gorgeous puppy!

13. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

In short the puppy will have toileted indoors, some breeders start housetraining before puppy goes to a new home but like us we all toilet at different times there are no set times, it is just in the main they will toilet after sleeping, eating and playing. Watch for him sniffing the floor as this is a sure sign he is wanting to toilet.

Even though our dog is a year old we spent most of this morning in the garden with her playing with her while we did a bit of gardening and hubby taking photos, when she toilets outside she still gets lots of praise.

Puppies cannot hold it, a bit like a young child when they ask for their potty they need it now, and can't wait until you get it from the bathroom, the potty has to be on hand.

Everyone has their own way of housetraining their dogs, I note the area the puppy prefer to go and put puppy pads down, the puppy gets praised for using those too. My previous dog Duke was housetrained within a month, Tammy was almost 9 months before she was fully housetrained.

He's a cutie.

DeeDubelU likes this.
  14. DeeDubelU

Thank you,I am in my 40’s and have not had a dog since I was a girl, as I recall he was already housetrained when he came to us. A busy life has meant cats have been our pet of choice. But our lifestyle is now such that we can accommodate the time for a dog and he will be a much loved member of the family. Puppy toilet training is very alien to us. Thank you for your advice x much appreciated

15. DaisyBluebell

Oooh your forgiven for that picture, looks a beautiful little thing - enjoy, it goes so very fast. Does he have a name?

16. DeeDubelU

Oscar he’s beaut and we plan to make the most of every day x

DaisyBluebell and lullabydream like this.
  17. DaisyBluebell

Look forward to hearing all about Oscar & pics as he grows

18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I would worry to much but I do feel your pain. When we had Dillon he would wee outside and then come in and do another one, he was weeing over 30 times a day he was driving me crazy, then after his last injections and we could take him out for small walks, we never had another wee in the house.

DeeDubelU, Karen77 and DaisyBluebell like this.
  19. Karen77

Karen77 PetForums Newbie

I feel your pain, but I am very much reassured after finding this forum and reading this particular post. I have had Ralphie (a 9 week old cocker since Saturday, and the sheer amount of time I have spent in the garden versus the amount he has toileted indoors is crazy. I take him out every 30 mins minimum and he has a tiny wee sometimes, but does it inside again almost as soon as he is back inside. I spend an average of 20 mins outside every single time. I am exhausted but I know (fingers crossed) this should quickly improve. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the scent of the puppy, do you ever get desentitised to it? It's very alien although not unpleasant as I haven't a pup for a lot of years and I worry about cuddling him too much before work incase I smell like him ;)

20. Karen77

Karen77 PetForums Newbie

This is very helpful thank you. I spray dettol floor cleaner and instantly wipe away, I didn't realise I was doing this wrong

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice