UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone set my expectations please!

We brought Maggie home 11 days ago. She is let out in the garden every 40/60 mins(sometimes as often as every 20 mins), she does a wee everytime but will still poo and wee in the house.

She can go out in the garden have a wee, then wee in the house within 5 mins of coming back in. :cryin:

I know it's probably going to be how long is a piece of string but how long did it take your pup to 'get it' ?

Thanks

G

·
I'm in the same boat with my westie puppy Budy. Only he has got better with the seeing in the house is the pooing we are having trouble with. Not sure how long it will take. Try puppy training pads and when she does go outside use one word I say spend as he is doing it then lots of praise and give a treat. I'm using training treats as ran out of his usual but he can only have so many. The praise bit is easy for me it's picking up after him when he is trying to steal the bag lol. My boys just been out.:)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sam at at 7 months has just become completely clean with no accidents for a few weeks however I still expect him to have an accident every now and then. Every pup is different. Make sure you clean where your pup has been thoroughly to get rid of any smell tempting them to go and I would advise against puppy pads as this can just confuse them more.

11 days isn't a long time at all just keep consistently taking her out with treats and praise and she'll get there eventually :)

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Bess was about 5 months before I could really trust her. You need to have eyes in the back of your head, and as soon as you see her sniffing, moving in circles or starting to squat, take her outside. Really praise her when she wees or poos in the garden, but don't be tempted to tell her off if you don't catch her in time and she wees in the house.

If you tell her off while she's doing it she'll just try and do it out of your sight. It's natural to want to tell her off when you find a puddle, but if you do she won't have a clue what you are telling her off for.

I would advise against pads unless you can't be with her all the time.

I'd also advise crating her at night if you don't do that already. You can also pop her in a crate when you're popping out, doing the hoovering etc. She'll soon be clean in a crate as dogs don't like to soil their den.

It will take time, but you'll get there! :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had my puppy 4 weeks she will be 13 weeks old tomorrow and i'm really pleased with how well she's doing.

The only toilet training she had at the breeders was newspaper on the floor and they didn't know which were using it and which wern't. As soon as i got her i started training her to go outside, i've had nothing in the house for her to go on as i just think that gets confusing for the pup.

She had done one poo in the house but she was having a few problems with runny poo that day so that was a one off. In the early days she would wee in the house on average about once a day, sometimes my fault for not spotting the signs she was about to go but now she has only done one wee in our house in the last week. She will go to the door to be let out. She is crated when we are not around and has been left for 3 hours 15 minutes and was fine. She goes about 6 hours through the night without going out for toilet and has never had an accident in the crate. She does have occasional accidents when she has visited other peoples houses but with the excitement and not being sure where to go that's obviously going to happen.

Every puppy is different and it's a lot about you spotting the signs and getting her out in the beginning and soon she will realise that is where you want her to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.