Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy toilet training and weeing inside

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sian garland, Jun 24, 2017.

1. sian garland

sian garland PetForums Newbie

Hi, anyone know anything about puppy toilet training??
    I have just got a 9 week old puppy and even though toilet training is going ok, shes had a few accidents inside. I take her outside every hour or so and generally dont come back in until shes been to the toilet. she gets a treat and lots of fuss every time she does go to the loo. However, a few times when she hasnt been and weve come back inside after being out for 30mins ish, she will wee on the carpet! Any ideas on how to stop this? x

Attached Files:

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Toilet training success is when the physical ability to hold her toilet (at the moment her little bladder and bowel are underdeveloped) comes together with the desire to earn the reward she gets for toileting outdoors.

Ideally you want her to not be in a position where she needs to toilet before you have her outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set her up to succeed by taking her out even more than she needs; for example every 45 minutes to an hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. When she toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward her with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make her come to you for the treat so she is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that she wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until she is outside - once she is physically able to control her toileting obviously. If she has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. As she is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words she can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when she is reliably trained you can use these to tell her when you want her to toilet.

Indoors if you see her circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get her out fast.

Overnight set your alarm to get up and take her out. She can't last all night yet.

I don't know if you have them but I dont like puppy pads - they give mixed messages about whether it's ok to toilet indoors and confuse the puppy.

sian garland likes this.
  3. Hepziba

Hepziba PetForums Newbie

It took us months to train our pup but I found that teaching her what 'toilet' means. We said it every time she went outside and praised her lots. Then when she went outside we would say it so she understood why she was outside.
    Also, we found that we weren't understanding her signal to tell us to go outside. Instead of going to the door she would stand facing it and look back at us over her shoulder. I think us not realising this was one of the reasons it took so long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice