Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Swallowed sock!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amber_springador, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Amber_springador

Amber_springador PetForums Newbie

My 16 week old lab puppy has swallowed a sock when in the care of another family member. Luckily it did come up this morning in her vomit.
    However, she is still coughing like something is still stuck. The other sock from the pair was prevented from her getting hold of, so nothing else inside her (that we know about) as we’re all usually super careful and can’t believe she managed to get hold of a sock!
    Could it be that she might just have a sore throat now from it and is still having the occasional cough. She’s eating and drinking plenty. She is her normal playful self when awake but has been sleeping a bit more than usual today after being sick this morning.
    Would anyone recommend we take her to vet to cancel out any chance of kennel cough etc. Or should I wait see how she is through the night and then decide incase her throat is sore from the vomiting.

Thanks.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I would definitely seek medical advice could be a number of thinks I wouldn't want to chance it. I'd phone and explain see what they say.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Personally I would monitor the situation. It may well be that the sock was lodged and that the regurgitation has caused her to become sore and thus the cough. Watch to see if she wee's and poo's ok - if there is any blockage then this prevents this process. If she shows any signs of lethargy or of course further sickness or pain then I would definitely make an appointment at the vet.

If you think she has come into contact with Kennel Cough then of course take her to the vet.

As the owner of Labradors, can i also suggest that you start to work on using high level rewards to swap for any items that your puppy picks up/steals. (Teaching her to give them to you in return for a high level reward). Labs will eat things like socks but are less likely to do so if they are always rewarded well for handing it back to you.

J

O2.0, Bugsys grandma and niamh123 like this.
  4. Rachel4234

Rachel4234 PetForums Newbie

I'd definitely go to a vet and get a professional vet opinion on this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice