UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1,181 - 1,200 of 1,504 Posts
When my pup is acting up and it's hot, we have a cool coat that seems to calm him down, maybe she's hot? Grasping at straws here. If not then a damp towel draped over her and a cuddle (if she'll let you).
I have a fan going in the living room(which she also tried to eat :Arghh ) and I've rubbed her belly and paws down with a cool damp towel, she herself doesn't feel very warm but although she's normally an extremely cuddly dog, she doesn't want anythign to do with me today.

I have a fan going in the living room(which she also tried to eat :Arghh ) and I've rubbed her belly and paws down with a cool damp towel, she herself doesn't feel very warm but although she's normally an extremely cuddly dog, she doesn't want anythign to do with me today.
Well it sounds like she's having a really off day, is this where a more knowlegable member might say you should take her to the vet in case it's something medical maybe? Good luck, hope things calm down for you both soon x

Well it sounds like she's having a really off day, is this where a more knowlegable member might say you should take her to the vet in case it's something medical maybe? Good luck, hope things calm down for you both soon x
She's finally, for the first time all day, settled down for more than a minute and is currently just chewing her buffalo horn.

Discussion starter · #1,186 ·
Sounds like a teenager! Elliot has days where he just would not settle down and he was so much more naughty than when he was a puppy.

By the way my nearly 9 year old spayed bitch likes to have a good hump of her bed, complete with biting and head shaking. I just let her go for it!

Fun times!

Sounds like a teenager! Elliot has days where he just would not settle down and he was so much more naughty than when he was a puppy.

By the way my nearly 9 year old spayed bitch likes to have a good hump of her bed, complete with biting and head shaking. I just let her go for it!

Fun times!
I did wonder if maybe she was just being a teenager, which would make sense given her age.
Hazel only recently started the humping behaviour(she did it for a short period as a young pup, but that was back when she was 3-4 months old and a side effect of overexcitement I think).

For the record, the earlier calm lasted about an hour. And just now, literally as I'm typing this, she's decided 10pm is the perfect time to chase the cats around barking at them :Shifty Someone shoot me, before my neighbours do, because I cannot get her to shut up. I'm literally on the verge of crying because I've been dealing with her being a pain all day, she finally settled, when she got up again it had cooled so we went for another walk and some play in the field, and while she's been a nuisance after that walk, she's not been *as* bad as she was before she settled... Up until now.

Well hope you all don't mind me sharing. Had a bad night with Dan last night, he was restless at bedtime and kept going downstairs to be let out. Didn't make it in time and there was a pool of poo by the backdoor (luckily it's washable vinyl). Cleaned that up and he settled for 20 mins then started to heave, was sick at the top of the stairs, so decided to bring him down and sleep on the sofa. He went outside and was gagging again with white foam coming up (about a tablespoon), came back in seemed to settle and another pool of pooh the colour of blood, very liquid, by this time (about 3am) I was worried but he again settled and when I woke at about 6 there was another pool of bloody coloured poo. He seemed a bit sorry for himself but came to me wagging his tail as usual and looking a bit brighter. Took him to the vets to be on the safe side as soon as I could this morning (lunchtime), vet gave him an anti sickness injection, some antibiotics and probiotic paste. He was as lively as anything in the vets and as good as gold as if last night never happened! Vet said he's in very good condition (always good to know), gave him a thorough examination, and a course of antibiotics to be on the safe side as there was blood.
OH has now gone out and left me dog sitting - we had planned on going out today - Dan is fast asleep (think I might join him) and I am £70 odd pounds lighter of pocket!
But as long as the little man is okay I don't begrudge a moment or a pound spent. I was so worried must be karma for talking about the things they pick up! Hope fully we won't have to go back and the medicines given will do the trick:Inpain

Discussion starter · #1,189 ·
@DanWalkersmum Hope Dan feels better soon. Nova had a similar tummy upset just after her spay and she got similar treatment and was back to normal quite quickly (her and the pooping :p)

We've really worked on drop it and leave it and it has helped so much- she hardly picks up anything on walks now and if she does she will drop it when asked. It was worth the effort though as sometimes people throw stuff on the ground you might not be able to see before puppy spots it.

@DanWalkersmum Hope Dan feels better soon. Nova had a similar tummy upset just after her spay and she got similar treatment and was back to normal quite quickly (her and the pooping :p)

We've really worked on drop it and leave it and it has helped so much- she hardly picks up anything on walks now and if she does she will drop it when asked. It was worth the effort though as sometimes people throw stuff on the ground you might not be able to see before puppy spots it.
Glad to hear Nova is now back to normal it's reassuring:)
Update on Dan - no sick or poop all day yesterday and he ate a bit and had a bit of playtime and slept all evening settled down for the night and at 1.30 ish woke up and came downstairs then he was up and down and could not settle, OH slept downstairs with him and he was sick in the night and had a watery poo this morning, managed to get some bio paste down him and the tablets (with a struggle), he's having a quiet moment now growling at the animals on tv lol. Will have another quiet day today I think, if he's no better tommorow he'll be back at the vets! I don't know that he ate anything while we were out as he never goes far from us and was within sight all the time so maybe it was something else, he is getting better with the leave it command though.:)

Seeing as there's a few of us here who have young puppies I thought It would be a good idea to have somewhere to vent and ask questions which more experienced members can help with if they want to. The things I'm struggling with at the moment are:

1) Star has no routine with her pooping, it can be any time of day up to 6 times a day. I take her out after she's eaten but I can be out for half and hour but nothing will happen. So she's having accidents in the house. I'm wondering if its the food I'm feeding her?. The kibble is very small so maybe it's not being digested properly?.

2) Whenever I crate her during the day she cries and howls so I find it really hard to do. At night she will go in voluntarily to sleep so I can just close it and it's not an issue. It's making me feel really guilty if I do go out for an hour as I just imagine she's crying.

3)When she goes to sleep at random points during the day, if I move or do something she wakes up and springs into action mode so I find myself just sitting around so I don't disturb her. I know it's the wrong thing to do but then I worry she's not getting enough sleep.

Feel free to add your own issues or solutions.
When the puppy will control this?

Haven’t posted for a little while, but having run into an issue, this site spring to mind.

With it all being new to us... and is being worriers...

We’re slightly worried that the last few times his poo has had specks of black through it.

His poo is the right colour I would say, but is very soft. Not diarrhoea, but... sorry to be graphic... but mushy.

The black spots... there are a good few throughout.

He is bad for eating dirt in the garden, as well as slugs. I try to stop him, but when it’s pitch black, it’s hard to see before it’s too late.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give.

Firstly if he's prone to eating slugs... What worming tablet have you on? This is slightly more worry habit to me as he's at risk possibly from lungworm. Good news he's young so should be wormed monthly.. So certainer wormers used monthly cover lungworm.

How much are you feeding? I would stop feeding treats and just use part of his daily allowance of food for training. See if this helps on the mush of his poo.
Of course if you Google black dots in poo am sure you would come up with blood and its an emergency. However I can't see how a young puppy per se would have an internal old bleed that's caused this..not impossible but not likely. So it could be could be anything

When we were at the vets last week we explained about the eating slugs, and they confirmed that the worming he was given a few days prior covers lungworm.

Their advice, just try and stop him from eating them.

So a common scenario.... 10 minutes ago... he’s by the back door, scratching. Ok, good boy... he wants out for the toilet.

Me and my wife both go out with him, both with torches equipped...and within around 5 seconds.. he’s found a slug, and has chewed and swallowed it.

Then we bring him in, and a few minutes later, he’s peed everywhere in the house.

Just an impossible situation.

With regards to feeding, I’ll be honest and admit, it’s somewhat variable. He will have food around 6/7am, then around lunchtime, and then at 5/6pm.

He will have dry food, with a little wet in it, or sometimes just dry.

Treats vary... sometimes now and again, sometimes in a kong.

So yes, I’ll hold my hands up and say that’s something I really need to improve on. Getting him on a really good routine with food.

I had heard to feed puppies only twice a day, but 6am when he’s up, and then say 5pm... that doesn’t seem much?

He has his final injections Tuesday, so we shall ask the vet about the black spots, see what they say.

Thank you for replying, and for your help. It’s very much appreciated.

No puppies need little and often feeding..

8-12 weeks 4 meals a day
12 weeks- 6 months 3 meals a day
6 months plus, and hopefully for lifetime 2 meals a day.

If you are not feeding small appropriate meals, this could mean that you are over feeding per meal which can lead to problematic poos.

Also feeding guides are usually generous too. So the amount you feed per meal might be less.

I would start teaching a drop and leave.

Your pup has taught you well to show you he wants to go outside. Rather than toilet.

To get him more focused on going to toilet I would use a lead with him. Gardens are really exciting with lots of outside smells, things that move like slugs and it helps if you have your puppy on the lead if they have too much interest. It might mean you pop in and out the house to refocus at times.

Discussion starter · #1,197 ·
Puppies get easily distracted. Nova is 8months and I still take her out on a lead to toilet and then let her off to explore and play in the yard.

Seeing as there's a few of us here who have young puppies I thought It would be a good idea to have somewhere to vent and ask questions which more experienced members can help with if they want to. The things I'm struggling with at the moment are:

1) Star has no routine with her pooping, it can be any time of day up to 6 times a day. I take her out after she's eaten but I can be out for half and hour but nothing will happen. So she's having accidents in the house. I'm wondering if its the food I'm feeding her?. The kibble is very small so maybe it's not being digested properly?.

2) Whenever I crate her during the day she cries and howls so I find it really hard to do. At night she will go in voluntarily to sleep so I can just close it and it's not an issue. It's making me feel really guilty if I do go out for an hour as I just imagine she's crying.

3)When she goes to sleep at random points during the day, if I move or do something she wakes up and springs into action mode so I find myself just sitting around so I don't disturb her. I know it's the wrong thing to do but then I worry she's not getting enough sleep.

Feel free to add your own issues or solutions.
My beau is exactly the same, she could be fast asleep and as soon as I even breathe differently she is up and ready to follow me. I also find myself not dareing to move so as not to wake her.

Hi,

This I've only been on here for about 19 minutes so I don't even know if I'm chatting in the right bix, but here it goes.

I decided to get a puppy to train as my ESA for a while. I watched the videos, read books, bough all the supplies, ect. I was ready and honestly still believe that if I was living on my own then I would be fine. But, I'm living with my long time boyfriend and I believe the puppy is tearing us appart.

We got a 4 month old pot mix on Thursday. I new eveeything would be hard. Potty training, biting, and all the other stuff that brings on the puppy blues. As I type this he's sleepong on my stomach while my bf is in our bedroom sleeping.

I feel like I made a bad decision. I love my puppy, but I feel like I have no time with my bf anymore. I feel like a failure with potty training. And I've cried every night since we got him. I feel like I should give him back. He's still young enough to find a good home but I think doing so would be betraying him. I took him home and he's already so attached to me. And I love him. But I don't think it's worth losing my relationship over.

I just don't know what to do. I guess I should have gitten an older dog, but I thought I could handle it all. But I don't think I can.

I also don't want to go through the shame of returning him either. I hate myself for keeoing him and I would hate myself for giving him back. I'm just so lost. I wish I would have just looked for an older dog.

Hi,

This I've only been on here for about 19 minutes so I don't even know if I'm chatting in the right bix, but here it goes.

I decided to get a puppy to train as my ESA for a while. I watched the videos, read books, bough all the supplies, ect. I was ready and honestly still believe that if I was living on my own then I would be fine. But, I'm living with my long time boyfriend and I believe the puppy is tearing us appart.

We got a 4 month old pot mix on Thursday. I new eveeything would be hard. Potty training, biting, and all the other stuff that brings on the puppy blues. As I type this he's sleepong on my stomach while my bf is in our bedroom sleeping.

I feel like I made a bad decision. I love my puppy, but I feel like I have no time with my bf anymore. I feel like a failure with potty training. And I've cried every night since we got him. I feel like I should give him back. He's still young enough to find a good home but I think doing so would be betraying him. I took him home and he's already so attached to me. And I love him. But I don't think it's worth losing my relationship over.

I just don't know what to do. I guess I should have gitten an older dog, but I thought I could handle it all. But I don't think I can.

I also don't want to go through the shame of returning him either. I hate myself for keeoing him and I would hate myself for giving him back. I'm just so lost. I wish I would have just looked for an older dog.
Please don't give up, I also had days when I cried with frustration and I also wanted to take my beau back. She is my first puppy and I didn't realize how hard it was going to be. The toilet training just kicks in, they get it in the end, some are quicker than others. My beau is 8 months old now, she's still a little Tasmanian devil but my life is so much richer with her in it. Just have patience the puppy stage will soon be over.❤

1,181 - 1,200 of 1,504 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.