Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Stand always is the most difficult because we get them to sit for everything.

At least she has mastered down...sometimes that's ridiculously hard to train in dogs and puppies and you end up running round with treats when they are naturally in that position at home!

2. lullabydream

Maybe not so with a puppy if 5 months..but in my opinion in safe areas the younger you let them off the lead for recall the better.

Have always started my pups when they are allowed out for walks.

You are a god like creature to your puppy, and they do not venture far at all.

When you call them to you, any treat will do. Simple kibble, as high value treats come in to their own when the terrible teens hit and training goes out the window!

When your dog recalls, hold the collar or harness for a minute, giving the treat and lots of fuss then release. This is essential you don't want check ins to be short and sweet, a minute is long enough to put a lead on whatever the circumstance. Although a minute seems forever, what you don't want is your dog to learn to check in quickly and go again. As this can lead to problems when you do need to put your dog on the lead. Sometimes you can clip the lead on, give praise then off and release too. So lead doesn't necessarily mean that is enough of my free time running.

Hope this helps somebody, even those just lurking.

3. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

I'm struggling with training Star. She does sit but that's about it. She turns her nose up at most treats, even when I try give her one after she's gone to the toilet outside. We've been doing "paw" when she sits but she's not getting it. Also whenever she does something wrong like her favourite thing of hanging onto my clothes by her teeth. If I say no, she stops for a second and then jumps right back on me which is really hard when I'm trying to walk her. I'm starting puppy classes on Wednesday so hopefully that will help. She only does recall half of the time

#103 spamvicious, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    lullabydream likes this.
  4. lullabydream

Your probably overwhelming her with treats..this is why its often best to get puppies to work for their food rather than extras.

No usually means very little to any dogs, but what Star is doing is actually saying I love you so much I want to play with you. Its not done with malice...my JRT used to do it all the time to me and I forgot how many jeans she ruined. Shes just very excited.

5. spamvicious

Yeah I think that's the issue. She doesn't like her kibble though she'll only eat it with a gravy I make out of a little wet food so would be hard to use that as a treat.

6. lullabydream

I think Star would be an ideal dog who if given the opportunity would work for her meals...
    Its not everybody's thing but it works for some.
    Considering shes a mix two very intelligent breeds, she would be clever enough to eat and not starve. However, I wouldn't want your health to take a nose dive, so stick to what you are doing, and hopefully training sessions will help you immensely!

7. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I'll definitely look into it if it seems like she's not improving. Sounds like she's getting a lot more comfy with other dogs which is great! :D I'm sure she'll keep improving too!

I might look into that I only put Ruby in her crate once during the day for about 30 mins and the past two days she's started crying a lot more than she used to, treats and Kongs don't distract her at all anymore. Glad you're doing better though! Luckily Ruby has her mad hour around 7pm so my parents are home by then so I don't have to deal with her nuttiness by myself. :Smuggrin

8. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I can lure her forward into a stand but I am trying to get a nice kick back stand from a sit - perhaps I'm asking to much! :Shy

Spatial pressure isn't working; y'know shoving a treat towards her doesn't make her stand... Instead I'm teaching it through the stair gate or the garden fence - she can't step forward but can still take the treat when she is in position but the neighbours might think I'm slightly odd :p haha!

lullabydream likes this.
  9. lullabydream

The positions people get themselves in to try and do down is mind boggling..fluid stand is lovely.

She's doing really well, so I would be really pleased..stand is commonly forgotten cue..and it is actually really important for things like vets visits.

My lurcher is the second dog who doesn't do 'sit'. My first never ever did a natural sit, he had a long body though, and Maisie has sat with 3 inches from the ground, and still no natural sit and she's been with us since the beginning of April, so stand is her go to stance..or give me a belly rub!

ShibaPup likes this.
  10. morphtastic

morphtastic PetForums Member

I just found this thread and had a good day with my pup so thought i'd join in. Leia is 7 months now, we went to our local park for a walk with all 4 of the dogs. They were all running around when Leia spots a few crows on the field and off she goes. My middle girl Tori chases birds and if you dont call her before she goes she ignores you. But Leia stopped as soon as I called and came straight back, I was so proud of her. Lots of treats for that!!! Then as we were making our way out of the field I noticed that she and our boy Bow were sniffing something, I called them and they came but she stopped about 12ft away from me and wouldn't come any closer, obviously she had something she didnt want to give up!! I could see something sticking out of her mouth and she was chomping on it, i took a step towards her and she took a step away. I put on my frowny face and said 'No. Leia come swap' and showed her a handful of kibble from my pocket. She wagged her tail and come over and dropped the nasty dead mole she had and took the kibble. Phew, it was horrid:Yuck. Then we walked on, she looked back at it once but left it when i said 'no, come on'. Clever girl.

lullabydream likes this.
  11. spamvicious

Thanks. She has puppy class tonight and for the next six weeks so I hope we can make some progress.

lullabydream likes this.
  12. spamvicious

Wow well done. I'm envious of you lol

13. spamvicious

I'm in all day so I've been making sure to go out for an hour a day and putting her in her crate. I use the app to watch her, she cries initially and then goes to sleep. She gets two short walks a day but she really pulls on her lead so need to get on top of that. I'm finding it hard to train her in general cos I'm already giving her too many treats I think.

I got some Wagtastic chewy chicken fillets that Ruby might like. They're supposed to be for over 4 months so I just give Star half, but she really likes them so she gets one very occasionally in the crate during the day.

14. spamvicious

[​IMG]
    Star got a bit wet on her walks yesterday. She loved puppy training, not as much as me though as they had "pass the puppy" so I got to hold and meet 20 odd puppies. The class splits in half next week though so that will be better. We learnt, down and stand last night all by using the treat but no vocal commands so I need to check when we start using them.

lullabydream, ShibaPup and BrightOwl like this.
  15. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

I found it really difficult to train my puppy in the first 6 weeks of having him. Once he was around 3 1/2 month he was much better. His overall concentration level was higher and he wasn't so easily distracted. I think it took him a while to understand what training was. After 6 weeks he started to get bored of his surroundings as it's the same every day and became much more interested in me and trying to please me instead as I was the only thing that was interesting in the room. Over time he also learned that training means interaction and bonding time with me and that it doesn't mean that he can't go and play afterwards, whereas before he wasn't sure when he'll be able to play so he really just wanted to play and explore the room.

My puppy use to pull like crazy as well because he wanted to check out everything. What we did in the first few weeks was let him check out everything, we walked at his pace and let him sniff and look at his surroundings. We use to spend his walks just going up and down the street. We slowly progressed to going a bit further each week. Now he can go all the way round the block in under 20mins, where in the past it took almost an hour. Now that he's seen it all thousands of times, he isn't so interested and pretty much will walk normally. He will stop and pull to sniff at a few places that other dogs have peed on and that's pretty much it.

The puppy school taught us to stop and turn around if the puppy pulls, and they'll quickly learn that pulling means they're going to get further away from where they want to get to.

16. BrightOwl

BrightOwl PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! I've lurked the forums for a while but this thread persuaded me that it was time I got around to joining. :)

My name's Jane and just over a month ago my partner Rich and I welcomed a 9-week-old sheltie boy, Comet, into our home. We adore him and he's doing really well (he's 14 weeks old tomorrow) - we think he's pretty much house trained now *crosses fingers*, he can sit, shake paws and lie down - but we are now definitely in the bitey/chewy phase, and he's discovering his voice... :eek::D This thread seems like a really good place to share questions and experiences (and see pictures of all your adorable pups!), so hope it's alright that I join in. :)

We have our first puppy training class tonight - hope it goes as well as Star's!

ashelia likes this.
  17. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

Congrats on your new puppy! The photo of him on your profile looks so adorable! Love the bow tie. Always welcome to ask any questions here and we're always happy to help ;) We are all going through what you're going through.

And off course you're very very welcome to join in our puppy chat :D

18. spamvicious

Hi Jane, welcome! Comet is such a cool name! I hope you get to do pass the puppy as it's so much fun lol also it's good for the pups to meet new people.

19. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

Ruby is 11 weeks old today and she celebrated it by digging a hole and getting herself covered in mud! :rolleyes: And having a staring contest with the cows again. Tomorrow marks the day I can finally take her out without carrying her! My arms will be thankful, she's so big already. I'm taking her to the woods and into the village, she's still unsure of cars so I figure the small traffic we get there will ease her into it.

@spamvicious Star looks absolutely precious! I'm glad you both had a great time and got to pet lots of puppies, sounds like a blast! I think as their attention spans get bigger than a gnat training will come easier, I noticed Ruby concentrates a lot better these days than she did when I first tried at 8 weeks old so don't stress too much! I've seen those Wagtastic chewy chicken fillets but I wasn't sure if I should get them since it said not suitable for puppies under four months, but I'll grab some next time I'm out and give her half, although I'm sure Ruby will devour it, she goes through chews quickly. :D

@BrightOwl Welcome to the thread! :) Comet looks stunning! Shelties are one of my favourite breeds. I hope you had a good and informative time at puppy class! Let us know how it went.

20. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

SO glad you started this thread spamvicous, as soon as I have time I will read through EVERY post, so much to do before my little Emma arrives,counting down the days now, 22 today and she should be snuggled in my arms (hopefully not being sick on the drive home :()

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice