Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

It can be any time. For example we were in the car today and my mum got out to go into the shop and she was crying even though she was sat on my lap. My mum said she did the same when I left the car. She cries in her crate when we leave the room but she must settle down eventually.

2. spamvicious

I've just given Star a pizzle. Wow I wish I had heard of them before. She's been eating one for 20 mins with no signs of stopping. Gonna have to stock up on them.

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Love Pizzles all my dogs do...but for a puppy they are mighty filling so take the pizzle into account when you feed her...

Zooplus has a great array of dead animal chews...mine love cows ears too as staples then whatever else I fancy in my basket!

Chewing is great for relaxing

4. spamvicious

Do you mean appetite wise or nutrition wise?

5. lullabydream

I was trying to find the poster I saw at my emergency vets...but I cannot.

It listed things like cows ears and how much part of the diet they can take up...a bit like on our food saying this has so much % of our daily food allowance. It was based on a medium dog at 18kg I think...as always any treat or chew eaten, part of their daily allowance of food should be removed.
    For a puppy, a pizzle..could be quite a big chunk out of their food allowance. So if your puppy is happy to eat it all...no reason why not unless you get a runny bum in the morning. Then just be aware...it would never stop giving me them to young dogs, or my toy breeds who only need a few pieces of extra kibble and they could be barrels on legs. Everything in moderation is fine...and I find they help with teeth cleaning too.

6. lullabydream

Forgot to say...so yes it could affect appetite too

7. spamvicious

Ah ok thanks. I took it off her for an hour to have a break and gave her it back. She's chewed the end but I don't think she's actually eaten any of it yet.

lullabydream likes this.
  8. lullabydream

My 4 demolish them..3 toy breeds one with a fair few teeth missing too...although she takes forever!

Hope it helped to calm her though, and gave her time to relax, and you time to chill.

9. spamvicious

It did calm her down, she's now snoozing. Thanks for all your help. I'm gradually getting better with all my anxieties.

lullabydream likes this.
  10. lullabydream

You are doing well...Star sounds a typical playful normal puppy...and your just a typical new owner. Star is living up to her name and she has you to thank for that.

ShibaPup likes this.
  11. spamvicious

Thank you. This forum has helped so much with its lovely members like you.

lullabydream likes this.
  12. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

That's totally normal. My puppy does that too. He'll whine for a bit when someone leaves the car, he basically wants to tag along. He also whines a bit when one of us leaves the room, probably again the same reason, he just wants to be part of whatever is happening. It's nothing to worry about. They'll all eventually get over it.

13. spamvicious

That's reassuring thanks. Hopefully she'll grow out of it.

14. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

GCDS Puppy foundation course all booked - we start in July!! :Bookworm:D

15. spamvicious

oooh exciting. I'm currently looking for a course. I found one but they wanted me to go without Star for a 2 1/2 hour talk which I didn't see the point in.

16. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Do you know what the talk is about?

I sat in and observed a couple of training classes on my own before booking with them - to ensure I was happy with them and their training methods.

17. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

She'll probably grow out of it I think from what others have said, Ruby is only 10 weeks and already she cries a whole lot less.

I'm glad to see Star likes pizzles! I'm hoping to find some tomorrow at our local pet store or garden centre :)

18. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

That's awesome! I booked a puppy foundation course for July too! Ruby will be 5 months by then, I'm hoping it's not too late to start but it's the only time I can get reliable transport :confused:

19. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Lily will be around that age when she starts in July - going on the estimate of her age.

ashelia likes this.
  20. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

Ruby is fast asleep on my feet atm (attachment) but it reminded me to ask how does your puppy handle grooming? Ruby sees her brush as a toy and will try and grab it and chew it. She doesn't mind being groomed but she just wants to play with the brush :rolleyes: any tips how I could distract her long enough? Would trying while she's eating her dinner be a good idea?

Attached Files:

ShibaPup likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice