Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

They seem expensive for what they are! Would you consider feeding her wet food or wet food and kibble? If Star is active and gaining weight I wouldn't be too worried.

2. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

She's currently 4kg so I think her weight is ok. Maybe I'll wait to see how she likes the new food once I've finished mixing it. If not then I'll try adding some wet food in with it.

3. Rocco clough

Rocco clough PetForums Newbie

Ye he will be three weeks. Thanks for that info, put mind a rest

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  4. spamvicious

Make sure you post lots of pictures, have you decided on a name?

5. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

Thanks for letting me know about this thread @spamvicious

I don't have any issues with my 5-month-old puppy atm, but I did go through everything you guys are all going through.

My tip for food is to not create a picky puppy. My puppy is very smart and sometimes tries to ask for something he likes by not eating his meals or picking at it. We take him for a monthly checkup, the vet basically told us he’s trying it on, as he’s completely healthy, and his weight is fine and he’s developing well.

I have to do the whole tough love thing on my puppy, where I put down his food. Give him 30mins to eat it, if he doesn’t then it goes away till the next meal. I give him the same thing every day. He went a whole day and a half without eating once as he tried so so hard to get something better. This is was all because we changed food a few times in the past when he didn’t eat as we were worried so unfortunately, he learnt that behaviour and trying really hard to get us to do it again. I wish I didn’t do that in the past as he’ll probably remember this forever now and will occasionally try it on.

Do check with your vet first to make sure your puppy is doing well before you tough love it out on your puppy tho.

The vet told me that we create picky eaters, and they are not naturally picky :(

lullabydream likes this.
  6. spamvicious

Yay glad to see you here. Glad you're not having any issues, you can always give some tips. I'm having issues with Star's eating. She hasn't touched her breakfast so I am doing like you say, giving her half an hour and then picking up the bowl again. When it does down she doesn't seem interested though. I'm sticking to certain times of the day to feed her but she's never waiting or doesn't seem hungry.

7. LittleKrystal

Is she interested in treats? If not then you might want to get her checked out. If she goes crazy for treats or some human food then she is definitely trying it on!

I have mine on a raw complete diet, sometimes he's can't wait for it, sometimes he's not so interested. Mine is also in full teething mode at the moment so his general appetite isn't too good.

We did try Lily's Kitchen wet food a while ago when he wasn't eating his raw meals, he really loved that!

I'm glad to help! Puppy months can be difficult :(

8. spamvicious

Yeah she eats treats. She will eat cucumber and melon when I give her it so she is just trying it on I think. I'll just have to be tougher on the puppy dog eyes lol. I might start doing half wet and half dry if she carries on. She's 4kg though and has a podgy belly so I don't think she's starving haha.

I hope his teeth feel better soon. What's he called?.

9. LittleKrystal

His name is Kiba. What's yours? He will probably finish teething in a few weeks, he started really early! He started around 3 1/2 months.

10. spamvicious

Aw thats a nice name. Please post a pic :) My puppy is called Star, she's a 11 week old cockapoo.

11. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I swear Ruby's nails are sharper than her teeth so I'll need to do that too! Sadly the nearest one to us is about an hours drive away, one of the downsides to living in the middle of nowhere :rolleyes: but if we travel out there I'll definitely go in to check it out!

12. spamvicious

Star has some black lines in her nails so I'm worried about doing it myself incase it's nerves etc. Yeah it's worth it if you do pop in.

ashelia likes this.
  13. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I've been meaning to ask you guys about baby gates to block off Ruby from some parts of the house. I need to block off one half of our living room (the part that's carpet and has my dad's hi-fi stuff) and the dining room. We can put baby gates on the stairs and the entrance to the dining room but the gap in the living room is between a wall and small sofa (even without the sofa the gap is too big) so we can't put a baby gate there. So I was wondering if there's other alternatives? I tried stacking boxes but she learns fast and can climb up over them or squeeze between any gaps no matter how small (despite how chunky she is).

Not being able to block her from down there is setting back toilet training a little since when she dashes down there I can't catch her to take her out like I usually can. :confused:

14. spamvicious

We've been using cushions to block parts off, do you have any big cushions? Or big boxes?

15. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

Only ones on the sofas so we can't take those off and I've tried boxes but she figures out how to move them to get past :eek: I've got two smaller heavy boxes stacked on top of each other to see if that helps but it's not too high so I think she'll be able to leap over them if she really wants to. I was wondering if there's any kind of sliding doors or something but I dunno what to search for in Google.

16. spamvicious

How about this? https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product...nder10_62876&gclid=CL--1_Lq59MCFSex7QodecIMQw

17. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

18. LittleKrystal

We bought an animal playpen from Amazon for my pup. When we first got him, he would spend most of the time in the pen, we even sat in the pen with him and played with him there. We now use to block off areas we don't want him having access to.

19. spamvicious

I hope it fits!

How are your pups with crying?. Every time someone leaves the room she whines for a good few minutes. Even if someone is with her she still cries. Any tips for this or will she grow out of it do you think?

20. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I'll let you know how it goes!

From what Ruby does I think it's something they need to get used to and learn to do, being by themselves. If Ruby is left alone in her crate during the day while I have to shower and things she'll cry, but recently she cries a lot less as I've gradually left her for longer periods (from about 10 mins to 30 gradually). I leave chews and things for her to be occupied with too which does help.

As for why Star cries even with someone there I'm not sure? Sometimes Ruby cries if I leave but others are still in the room, so maybe it's something like that? Is she out of her crate when she does it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice