Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. Elaine2016

Elaine2016 PetForums Senior

I only used my crate to ensure my pup was safe when being left alone...

To successfully toilet train you want to ensure your pup is not in a position to toilet indoors, set him up for success.. Take him out every 45 mins especially after food / play after a nap etc.

Where does he sleep at night? is there anything that could spook him? noise? neighbours?

spamvicious likes this.
  2. Rachgeegee

Rachgeegee PetForums Newbie

She sleeps in the kitchen in her bed we baby gate the kitchen leave the hall light on for the moment and keep the tv on low been fine but last 3 nights I know I must pass but I’m that tired it feels like it won’t ha! She’s pretty much nailing it she is really good through the day not many potty mistake but it’s night time when we are asleep she will go I know she’s a baby I and their bladders aren’t very big yet!

3. TeddyLou

TeddyLou PetForums Newbie

4. TeddyLou

TeddyLou PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Thing is he will.go to the door 99% of the time. Then tonight he pees on my bed with no warning! He will eat nothing onky chub

5. Pardis

Pardis PetForums Junior

:(
    6th night at home for Boris last night and for the first time he cried... basically every hour for about half an hour. Took him out once for a quick wee when he was quiet for a few minutes, otherwise ignored his screaming and hoped the neighbours won't kill us. He's fine going in and out of his crate during the day, also with the door closed if he's only 'half asleep'. I know we still have to train him to be comfortable and quiet in it while awake as well for certain amounts of time... We're working on that.

In the meantime I could use some reassurance though... Ignoring the crying is... right?

6. Elaine2016

Elaine2016 PetForums Senior

I wouldn't ignore him as he is going to start associating night time = panic and distressing time, where is he at night? if hes not in your bedroom I would move him there immediately, being near you he will feels safe and you can easily reassure him if he gets distressed.. This doesnt mean he will be in your room forever just for a time and then you can slowly move him bit by bit out of your room to where you want him

if your not happy with the bedroom route i would then sleep on sofa, again near him so as he is happy and content.

once he builds up his confidence you can slowly start to put distance and he will before a confident puppy

Pardis likes this.
  7. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

My pup is nearly a year and still has the occasional accident especially if she's in my room (she sleeps on my bed) and she momentarily forgets where she is and wees on my bed. If he's getting it right most of the time then don't worry, you're doing something right. Try to laugh off the accidents. Remember no reaction if he has an accident inside and plenty of reaction when he goes outside. I still say 'good girl' to Star even now when she pees outside.

8. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Just a couple of photos of Marshall as he has gotten so big already and is only 14 weeks old!

He got moved up to the big boy training class today so we're pretty pleased! And he has had a couple times off the lead in an enclosed area and has just followed me walking with me.

Toilet training is still slow

Attached Files:

lullabydream likes this.
  9. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

I haven't been on here for a while!! Nice to see that you're still posting on here @spamvicious

You can try a larger crate or maybe a pen. Now that Star is almost 1, she's probably not chewing much then maybe you don't really need a crate. What does Star do while you're working? Is she by your feet the whole time?