Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

I only used my crate to ensure my pup was safe when being left alone...

To successfully toilet train you want to ensure your pup is not in a position to toilet indoors, set him up for success.. Take him out every 45 mins especially after food / play after a nap etc.

Where does he sleep at night? is there anything that could spook him? noise? neighbours?

spamvicious likes this.
  2. Rachgeegee

Rachgeegee PetForums Newbie

She sleeps in the kitchen in her bed we baby gate the kitchen leave the hall light on for the moment and keep the tv on low been fine but last 3 nights I know I must pass but I’m that tired it feels like it won’t ha! She’s pretty much nailing it she is really good through the day not many potty mistake but it’s night time when we are asleep she will go I know she’s a baby I and their bladders aren’t very big yet!

3. TeddyLou

TeddyLou PetForums Newbie

4. TeddyLou

TeddyLou PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Thing is he will.go to the door 99% of the time. Then tonight he pees on my bed with no warning! He will eat nothing onky chub

5. Pardis

Pardis PetForums Member

:(
    6th night at home for Boris last night and for the first time he cried... basically every hour for about half an hour. Took him out once for a quick wee when he was quiet for a few minutes, otherwise ignored his screaming and hoped the neighbours won't kill us. He's fine going in and out of his crate during the day, also with the door closed if he's only 'half asleep'. I know we still have to train him to be comfortable and quiet in it while awake as well for certain amounts of time... We're working on that.

In the meantime I could use some reassurance though... Ignoring the crying is... right?

6. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

I wouldn't ignore him as he is going to start associating night time = panic and distressing time, where is he at night? if hes not in your bedroom I would move him there immediately, being near you he will feels safe and you can easily reassure him if he gets distressed.. This doesnt mean he will be in your room forever just for a time and then you can slowly move him bit by bit out of your room to where you want him

if your not happy with the bedroom route i would then sleep on sofa, again near him so as he is happy and content.

once he builds up his confidence you can slowly start to put distance and he will before a confident puppy

Pardis likes this.
  7. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

My pup is nearly a year and still has the occasional accident especially if she's in my room (she sleeps on my bed) and she momentarily forgets where she is and wees on my bed. If he's getting it right most of the time then don't worry, you're doing something right. Try to laugh off the accidents. Remember no reaction if he has an accident inside and plenty of reaction when he goes outside. I still say 'good girl' to Star even now when she pees outside.

8. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Just a couple of photos of Marshall as he has gotten so big already and is only 14 weeks old!

He got moved up to the big boy training class today so we're pretty pleased! And he has had a couple times off the lead in an enclosed area and has just followed me walking with me.

Toilet training is still slow

Attached Files:

Pardis and lullabydream like this.
  9. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

I haven't been on here for a while!! Nice to see that you're still posting on here @spamvicious

You can try a larger crate or maybe a pen. Now that Star is almost 1, she's probably not chewing much then maybe you don't really need a crate. What does Star do while you're working? Is she by your feet the whole time?

10. ChesterOllieEllie

ChesterOllieEllie PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some advice, we have a six month old male cockerpoo pup called Chester. We decided that we would get him some company and rescued a 5 month old female "shorkie" (yorkie/shit-zu cross) called Ellie.
    She gets on fine with Chester and loves following him around and cuddling up to him, she even tries to cuddle up to Ollie our ginger Tom much to his dismay.
    The trouble is, she's very reluctant to leave the safety of the sofa and visibly shy's away from people. To the point where she won't come past us if we are too close. She's also very difficult to get to eat, in fact it was 10pm this evening that we finally got her to eat anything this evening.
    We've had her a week now and we know it's going to be traumatic for her in a new environment but we're seeing very little improvement in her and we are wondering if there is anything that we can do to help her settle in better and feel more comfortable?

11. Ibelive12

Ibelive12 PetForums Newbie

I am using royal canine dry food for puppies and she loves it!! It is a bit more expensive but I find it the cheapest on amazon.

12. spamvicious

She's happy to be in the other room now which is progress lol.

13. spamvicious

You've had her a week and already have another puppy?.

14. ChesterOllieEllie

ChesterOllieEllie PetForums Newbie

No, we got Chester in October and we got Ellie last week

15. spamvicious

Ah sorry I understand now. For some reason I was reading it as that you had Ellie first. I think you could try interacting her with treats. When she’s on the on the couch place a treat in front of her and gently touch her quickly and then leave her. Gradually increase the time you touch her but always have treats.

16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

A week is a really short time, and to be honest the biggest thing you can do to help is initially, do nothing...

If you have in the past week tried to approach her, touch her when she's actually not confident with it, with rewards or no rewards this could have set her back somewhat .

The best thing I can advise is for the next week do nothing. Ideally find her something which can be a safe space, which currently seems to be the sofa, and the same thing happened to my sofa when I rehomed a nervous ball of anxiety coming up to 2 years ago no...although she was more resource guarding it from everyone, dogs and humans a like. Eventually our bedroom became a safe haven too...however since your girl seems confident with the other pets, dog and cat then allow them if possible to interact. So she can learn about the house rules, ie toileting, where the food is, routine. Most dogs coming into multidog households take initial cues from their own species, then look to the owners I have found. Not always but many times. Doesn't mean you never get a brilliant relationship. It's just in rescue situations quite often they have relied heavily on their own species, but dogs truly prefer humans if given a choice and in that initial stage of rehoming are unsure of everything.

So for this next week, do very little to try and connect with her. If she does come towards you, and it's quite a possibility as once she knows it's on her terms then there is nothing wrong with offering her a piece of kibble per se...offering I mean gently throw it close to her or even if she's brave enough to sit on you very gentle strokes but I would err on the side of caution. Sounds wrong I know..I pet my dogs all the time subconsciously idly sitting watching television or doing nothing and there I have in my lap at least one dog on my knee, and I know I will automatically stroke them. My dogs adore it, I find it therapeutic too...however not all dogs do and many small dogs don't and for the simple fact is that small dogs are easy to move by picking up. So if people don't want them in an area, they need them some where etc they automatically pick them up. Something an owner of a medium or large breed dog wouldn't be able to do. So they use other means, they train alternative behaviours, and to be honest regardless of dog size we all should be doing. Small dogs continuously being picked up to be removed from what they see as fun, can make dogs detest being touched and held and for all dogs touch should be a pleasant experience in my opinion. It doesn't take much for dogs to grow wise to if s/he is picking me up fun stops, which can result in behaviour we do not want such as running away when an owner comes close at the very least.

I would also forfeit walks for a week..harness putting on can be quite stressful so keep stress low as possible and next week start by using lots of treats etc when out and about, and also whilst putting on the harness. So it becomes a good experience.

Speaking of walking try and do walks separate at times too. You want your dogs, who are very close in age to become independent and although like to be together be able to manage apart. Young dogs, usually puppies being brought up close in age often fall foul of litter mates syndrome and it can still happen even if not from the same litter, albeit not brought up from being tiny. At this age they are still in a critical learning age, and fear period so you want both to become confident independent dogs. Not reliant on each other and both listen to you. Although yes I said initially that it's helpful that your other dog follows the other, in time it's usually natural the dog looks to humans more. Close to age young dogs, just may not. So separate walks, and training are a must. Of course you can do both together at times. Also down time apart helps too...which helps with separate walking.

Good luck

Pardis likes this.
  17. LG2017

LG2017 PetForums Newbie

Look
    Looking for a bit of advice! Recently got a Westie pup (now 9 weeks old) and he took to his crate no problem for sleeping etc. However we are struggling with potty training... he gets fed 05:30-06:00, 12.15 and 17:30-18:00 and gets taken out straight after, sometimes he does his business, sometimes he doesn't but usually he will poop between 4-5 times in the day. He gets taken out at about 9ish latest and he will usually pee but nothing else. However he is pooping between 3-4 am most nights which is fine but tends to do it when he is in his crate and gives no notice. Even if you take him out to go to the toilet at 3 or 3.30 he will pee and just lie down to sleep. However within the hour he has had an accident in the crate and is then wide awake for the rest of the night and wants to play (or rip apart your slippers but that's another issue!)
    I understand he is only little but the lack of sleep is driving us loopy! He can be fine one night and then off for 3!

Are we doing something wrong?

18. LittleKrystal

Some points to consider and try:

1) Clean the crate out completely! Use an enzymes spray, or if you don't have one use bio washing powder (make a paste and run it all over the crate base). Wash all the bedding with bio washing powder. This will get rid of any pee smell that we can't smell but he can. Any cheap bio washing powder from a supermarket is fine.

2) You might need to take him out more frequently, maybe even every 2-3hrs. It's hard for the first month or two but if you can share the overnight potty runs then it's a bit better. When Kiba was small, we took him out at 9pm, 12am and 3am. He'll be up at around 6:30am. We were able to not do the 12am run after a week or so. Whenever he regresses, we go back to doing more frequent potty runs for a few days or even a week.

3) Do you have him on a leash when you take him outside? After he's had a pee, consider taking him for a walk around the garden (I know it's freezing outside), movement can help stimulate him to want to pee and poo. You can also wait a bit longer after he's had a pee to see if he needs a poo.

4) Is the crate too big for him? Is he able to poo on one side and sleep on the other?

5) Are you rewarding him with loads of praise and treats when he pottys outside?

19. LG2017

LG2017 PetForums Newbie

Hey thanks for your tips! We have followed most of them, cleaned the crate and bedding etc.
    We take him out at those times and he usually goes at 12 but not at 3 and then when we get up between 5 and 6 he has gone in his crate.
    He is always on his lead outside, however we currently have about 2ft of snow and he won't toilet in it so we have resorted to puppy pads for the next few days but always with the same amount of praise as he would get outside.
    We did all this last night and again came down at 5 am and he had pooped again, then today he deliberately ran into the crate and pooped in it in front of us!! He got taken straight out and the whole thing scrubbed again.
    The only thing may be the size of the crate, however I think a small crate would be too confining for him.
    I just feel like we are in a vicious circle with it all and I'm not sure how to break it.

20. LittleKrystal

Looks like he's having a poo somewhere between 3am and 6am. You need to narrow it down as you don't know when between 3am-6am he poos. As horrible as this sounds, I would suggest that you take him out one more time between 3am and 6am, say 4:30am. Hopefully he'll poo during the 4:30am session, or if you find poo then take him out at 4am or 4:15am. Basically, if you find poo in the crate, then you need to take him out earlier by 15mins or 30mins till you catch it.

The crate can't be too big else he'll sleep on one side and toilet on the other. The dog should just be able to stand, lay down and turn around else it'll too big. Take a photo of him in the crate and I can tell you if it's too big or not. Considering the size of a westie puppy, I would say an extra small crate would be fine.

#580 LittleKrystal, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice