Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

I think it would be fine as long as you're not giving your pup loads of it.

2. Babybear

Babybear PetForums Junior

So last night bear found a hole in my garden fence right at the back must be where the foxes have been coming from...

We was out there doing a little lead training and he just must have caught a scent. Ended up dragging me along the garden and into a thorn bush lol little shit it’s so hard not to scream sometimes!

3. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Par for the course with a puppy - be careful being pulled sharply I have been suffering with Tendinitis for the last 6 weeks due to having been suddenly pulled when Emma attempted to do a runner before Christmas and believe me it really really hurts :Bawling

4. Babybear

Sorry to hear that DaisyBluebell, sounds painful :-(

In his defense I could have used the long line so was my fault really, I guess these things have to happen once for us to learn.
    Will def start working on impulse control/ recall more I think.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I missed you had tendonitis...it's horrible! Hope you feel better soob

6. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Workman accidentally left the front door open. Then I realised that Marshall was nowhere to be seen, cue the panic... Found him out in the street playing football with the kids!

Pardis likes this.
  7. DaisyBluebell

OMG thank goodness he was not run over or snatched - workman needs a good rollocking !

8. DaisyBluebell

Thank you, thought I had just pulled a muscle but after 6 weeks and hand starting to go cold or pins & needles thought I had better see the doctor "you should have come to me earlier" - yes hindsight is a wonderful thing. Now physio until it improves but go on holiday next week to a very snowy Quebec :Arghh

9. Babybear

I took some new pics today, I think it finally hit me how much he’s grown

Attached Files:

Pardis likes this.
  10. DaisyBluebell

Oh my goodness he is so handsome, hasn't he grown. Looks a beautiful calm dog too, aren't you the lucky one! seems like he has fallen on his feet as well.

11. Babybear

He really is so calm, everyone comments on it lol. I’m paranoid but it’s like the calm before the storm ;)

12. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Oh he's lovely! Mine is definitely not calm

13. spamvicious

So I still haven't cracked the separation anxiety with Star. She is with me all the time apart from when she goes to doggy day care twice a week which she loves. I work from home so I am always forgetting to actively leave her alone regularly so I'm going to make a conscious effort to start doing this. I was just wondering though, whether to get rid of the crate all together, she only goes in her crate now as she knows she will get a treat for it, then she just comes back out. We have a baby gate on the kitchen which we often put her behind when we're eating and stuff and she will sit by the gate for about 5 minutes before she gradually starts to grumble. So I was wondering whether it would make more sense to make the kitchen her 'area' to stay in or the crate will be better?.

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would. It may be she dislikes being so restricted. It will also make it easier to leave and return without too much fuss.

15. TeddyLou

TeddyLou PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone

I have a 5 month bichon. And he's proving to be alot of work. He is peeing in the house because it' cold outside he won' go out! Also. He wont eat dog food!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

He is crated when I am busy but when he is out he has the run of the house. If he does his toilet in the house he knows he' been bad and goes straight to bed (crate)

16. TeddyLou

TeddyLou PetForums Newbie

Also forgot to day he love weebox chub roll but I suspect this isn' the best food!!

17. Rachgeegee

Rachgeegee PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone I’ve just signed up to this forum so nice to meet you all! I have some similar questions to this as well but I don’t know how to a post or thread?

18. Rachgeegee

Rachgeegee PetForums Newbie

Hi guys hope you are all well! So.... my two questions i have

Has anybody potty trained their puppy without crate training? She’s 11 weeks old this week, my partner doesn’t like the idea of crate training and my mum is very very against it for some reason! So trying to give it a go without the crate before my idea of using it? Don’t get me wrong she is doing well at 11 weeks she will go outside she does let us know with scratching door or a bark...but the night time we have no control over does this take time?

My second question is she has been sleeping brilliant put her to bed at 10 not a peep out of her until I actually have to go wake her up between 7 and 8! But last few night the barking is unreal! Half 1 then again 4ish and I mean it doesn’t stop anyone experienced this? Could it be teething ?

TeddyLou likes this.
  19. spamvicious

Don't use the crate as punishment. If he wees in the house then you shouldn't show any emotion. I know it's difficult and very frustrating but if you show you are angry then it could make him hide when he does need to wee. If he goes in the house then take him outside, don't shout at him or put him in the crate. Take him out every hour on a lead and wait till he wees, then give him huge praise and a treat. Webbox isn't good food for dogs, what do you feed him? wet or dry food?.

20. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

please don't punish your pup for toileting in the house, this is not their fault as frustrating as it is for us. Please look for signs ii.e. sniffing / circling etc and take him out immediately and also take him out more regularly i.e every hour to ensure you set him up for success.

I would take him a quick walk if hes not fussed in just going out the back or use treats to get him outside in the rain and make a big fuss when they go.

if he pee's in the house also use enzyme cleaner as you might find they find a particular place in the house where they like to go and can smell it .