Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Do check that any thing you buy is not made in China as there have been a lot of problems with things for dogs from that country. Pizzles are good but remember never to leave your pup alone with chews & what ever you do DO NOT BUY Dentastix ! With what goes into those I am surprised a lot of vets seem to have them for sale!

2. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Thank you, I tried him with a pizzer (is that the right name?) which he loved for a good 30 minutes before he choked on it! No harm done but too scared to give him anything else similar now...

3. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Toilet training, he isn't even trying. I'm ignoring completely when he goes inside and giving lots of praise and treats when he goes outside. But he'll still just go wherever he is, he sniffs for only a second before going so it's really hard to get him out in time. Am I doing it wrong? :(

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Are you waiting until you see him looking as if he might go or are you taking him out regularly every hours or so?

You should be doing the latter. Take him out on waking, after a meal and after a playtime and at regular Intervals so that it's about hourly. Go out with him and wait until he goes. When he he actually toiletting then say a cue word, something like 'go wees' or 'busy, busy' or whatever you feel happy to say. When he's finished go to him and praise like mad like its the best thing in the world and maybe give a treat. I say maybe as Goldens are very food orientated and mine worked out pretty quickly to do pretend wees in order to get a treat:rolleyes: so I stick with lots of praise and strokes.
    The reason for introducing a cue word is so that the puppy associates the word with the action in time. It will mean you will be able to get him to toilet on command which can be very useful in the future.

I wonder if you fancy a bit of reading to help you during the first year of puppyhood. I recommend 'The Perfect Puppy' by Gwen Bailey. You can download it if you have a kindle or the kindle app on a tablet

5. DaisyBluebell

Doing right not reacting to him going inside but Get him out before he actually wants to go. We took Emma outside every 30 to 45 minutes & then waited till she went (we were lucky as it was summer) & as soon as she started to pee said a key word (ours is pee pee) then when she finished, like your already doing, praised her like it was the most amazing thing any dog could do!
    I assume Pizzer is actually Pizzle & they stink but dogs love them, Emma is only allowed the thick ones as I don't trust the skinny ones you get in the packages in case she swallows the last little bit (check on the Zooplus site for Pizzles, you can get most of the stuff you want on there at really good prices including dog food)

6. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Thank you, been taking him out much more regularly and other than one at puppy class we've had no indoor accidents today. It's hard during the week when I have my 3 year old on my own to go out every half hour, though I'll try to do better.

Marshall done really well at puppy class today, he's been moved up a group so I'm pretty proud. His sit, lie, walking on a loose lead and recall is all going well :)

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  7. DaisyBluebell

Sounds like he is doing better than my Emma but then again she has hit her teenage years and what was once excellent now has to be thought about as to whether she actually does it or not let alone how quickly she may condescend to actually do it :Arghh

8. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Ah he isn't always so good, at home he'll quite often ignore me

Almost 8pm and no accidents in the house!

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

We do lambs ears here, I find them less greasy and they’re smaller so not so much of a meal!

Marshall is a real cutie.

Drony likes this.
  10. DaisyBluebell

EXCELLENT news. Your both doing really well

Drony likes this.
  11. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Pizzle, you weren’t for off though just swap er for le.

Drony likes this.
  12. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

We aren't doing so well today :( my 3 year old son has decided to scream anytime I try to leave the room which is making Iife difficult!

And Marshall won't wee outside when it's heavy rain. Is it bedtime yet?!

13. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Welcome Drony, your little bundle is gorgeous. You've already had some great advice from the other guys. I tend to give Star pizzles as everything else she isn't really interested in. I always take the last bit off her though when it gets down to a size she could swallow whole. It's hard work having a puppy so to be doing that while you have a three year old is amazing. Remember to give yourself credit.

14. spamvicious

Star's behaviour has been amazing the past few days. Both me and my mum got flu and it meant that Star didn't get a walk for two days but she was great, we managed to do a bit of training and she seemed to know we were ill. She is chewing a lot though, could she be teething again, even though she's just turned 11 months?.

15. Drony

Drony PetForums Junior

Aw I hope you are better now? :( Well done Star!

We're getting nowhere with toilet training, Marsh is so good with all his other training but just isn't interested with where he wees!

Sit, down, stay and paw are all mastered though. Recall isn't bad so far. So I've signed him up for the KCGCS puppy foundation which starts in a few weeks :)

16. spamvicious

It's still lingering sadly. How often do you take him out?. I think you have to just accept there will be accidents initially and not worry too much, he will get it, it just might take a little longer. Don't put pressure on yourself or you'll just stress yourself out and he'll pick up on it. Maybe you need to try something really high value treat wise that he only gets when he toilets?. Something like liver that he can't resist? Good luck :)

17. KingPrawnNoodles

KingPrawnNoodles PetForums Newbie

Can anyone please let me know what's a good quality treat for an 11 week old puppy? At the moment he's having wagg with chicken and yoghurt. Worried that he may be having too much of a bad thing. Also. He's very food oriented and keeps begging for more food, which in turn makes me feel awful for ignoring him. Thank you

18. spamvicious

Wagg isn't the best for dogs. Try this recipe : https://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/training-our-puppies/dog-treat-recipes/liver-cake/

19. DaisyBluebell

KingPrawnNoodles likes this.
  20. KingPrawnNoodles

KingPrawnNoodles PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice