Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. KPope

KPope MylittleAngel

How we stopped our dog from having accidents in the house, we put her on a schedule. It took time and patients. If you stick to the schedule you come up with, your dog body will become clock work to it. You have to make sure you are in place to take your dog out at the scheduled time. Also, during your puppy teething stage, make sure you have plenty of chew toys and make sure you take your dogs on walks. Walking your puppy help get rid of some of the energy. It is true a tired dog is a good dog. If you dont walk your puppy enough and it gets bored, he/she will damage things around the house. Speaking from experience. Be patient and consistant and you will see things get better.

2. leisurely

leisurely PetForums Junior

For what it's worth, our 17 week old boy is loving pets at home own brand AVA puppy food for medium dogs twice a day and a raw chicken wing once. The thing he loves most in the world is the chicken. He poos two or three times, it's always formed and doesn't smell.
    He was accused of being skinny last week by some ignoramus with an obese labrador. His ribs are covered and he is muscly underneath his shaggy coat. Silly moo.

3. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

The advice now is to limit the amount of on lead walking puppies get whilst their bones are growing. The guideline commonly given is 5 minutes on lead walking per month of age. Sniffing and exploring round a field off lead is different but "forced" walking for long distances isn't a good idea

4. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

I took Star to PetsAtHome today and they made a big fuss of her, even making her "dog of the day' on their facebook page. She enjoyed the interaction and slept when she got home. I bought her lots of toys today and she's spent all evening sleeping on a plastic storage bag :DI'm looking forward to Friday when I can take her on her first proper walk.

5. KPope

KPope MylittleAngel

I would never encourage force walking or long distance for a puppy. When Angel was a puppy, we watch her on how long and how far she could go. When she reached her limit we came back to the house. I was just encouraging walks to help to calm down the energy level. Its up to the owner to determine the time and distance.

6. spamvicious

7. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Trying to tire out a dog physically isn't the best idea IMO. A dog should learn to settle with or without having exercise - otherwise you can end up with a super fit dog who can walk for hours but has no off switch!

Still a human chew toy - I have blood, bruises, holes in clothes... the whole nine yards!! :Shifty:Arghh Yesterday she was much more frustrated but controlled her biting well; by well I mean she didn't cause me to bleed and no hard bites but stuffed kongs saved the day! Today well... we'll see :D

Positives - She will sit before her meal and sits if she wants a fuss - it's kinda transferred to anything she wants she will sit and wait.
    She is happy to be touched all over including tail, legs and paws - trimmed her nails and she was very relaxed about it. Gave her a little groom; not that she will need that much being short coated but gets her use to the process.
    Happy to be by herself; doesn't cry when left or if I'm out of sight and keeps herself entertained with chews and toys.
    Her walking is really improving; no more backing up on the lead - she is beginning to follow and recall is coming along well.
    She is very gentle taking kibble out of my hand.
    She has learnt how to get the food out kongs.

Fairly positive!!

Vaccinations will start in a couple of weeks then once complete Lily and I can join a puppy training class.

How are you getting on? What's your positives? :D

8. spamvicious

Oh what do you use for the kong? I've been using doggy peanut butter and treats but she licks the peanut butter in seconds and can't be bothered getting the treats.

Star is doing much better. She now sits by the door if she needs to go out, not every time but most of the time so there have been much less accidents. Sometimes she just wants to go out to play though, the cheeky monkey. She's also good with being touched, I brush her coat every day and clean her as she isn't great at cleaning herself after a wee and is getting stained down there.

She's not eating much though which is bothering me, I put the food down and she'll have the occasional nibble but thats it. Then I'll pick it up after half an hour. She's not overly excited when I put it down but she does sit and wait. Also not great in the crate during the day. Though last night we put her in the crate while we ate and she settled straight away so I hope it's not a one off.

We can finally go out for walks on Friday so I can't wait for that and I'm currently trying to find a puppy class too. How long before you can go out for walks?.

9. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I started with kibble - encouraged her. Now use her raw food and she will work at it. She had mackerel this morning which she really enjoyed.

That's fab she is doing much better!! See you are making wonderful progress :D

Have you tried soaking the kibble? Might make it a little more interesting for her.

We are going out for walks - risky but a risk worth taking IMO. Mostly I carry her but the odd pavement plod too, we go into town and just watch the world go by. All good fun.

10. spamvicious

Well I think you know the risks and know how to look after her. I take Star on some grass behind the the flat, it's not fully closed off but I'm pretty sure no other dogs have access to it so I'm taking a small risk too but she needs it to go to the toilet now as she won't go on the small patch outside the flat anymore.

What do I do with the kibble? just soak it in water?. When we had a dog many years ago we used to put gravy on her kibble but then we fed her bakers too. However it didn't do her any harm, I just know better now.

11. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Put some kibble in her dish and add a small amount of warm water, leave it to soak and once it's a bit softer then give it to her. Others use wet food as a topper to make kibble more appealing.

TBH I have never had a fussy or reluctant eater so can't advise much.

12. jessicapeige

jessicapeige PetForums Member

You could try filling the kong and then freezing it, I find this lasts them a lot longer! Meat paste, squeezy cheese and mashed bananas are other things that you could try!

13. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I have a few more scratches haha :D but she's been walking on her lead a lot better and like your Star she's started going to the front door when she wants to toilet, although not always. She met her first doggy friends on the weekend, both old dogs but she was really good with them and just followed them around and sat by them.

I'm really glad to see things are gradually getting better for you! With the food thing sometimes Ruby will nibble at her food then leave then I have to remind her it's there, but I just take it as an indication that she's just not hungry at that time, as long as she eats her other meals I don't worry too much. Soaking it in warm water for a little bit might definitely help though! That's how I got Ruby to eat hers plus it gives them a little extra water too.

14. Rocco clough

Rocco clough PetForums Newbie

Hi, totally off subject here but We've put a deposit down on a French bulldog pup and he is due to come to us in 5 weeks. I texted the breeder today to ask how he is going, he replied that he has been giving the pup puppy mousse as he has been getting pushed out at night by the other puppies. I ask the breeder was he ok and he said he's doing fine he just wants to give him plenty of extra.
    Having not owned a dog before I'm abit worried that he has to top him up? I could be over reacting but was just after some advice/reassurance about this topic.

Thanks for any help

15. spamvicious

I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry too much, you might just have the runt of the litter. If the breeder is taking extra precautions to make sure your puppy isn't missing out then they're doing the right thing.

16. spamvicious

yay for doggie friends. I need to trim Stars nails as they're sharp as well as her teeth. Oh if you guys have a pets at home near you they're doing some good stuff for puppies. If you join as a VIP member (which is free) they give you a card that entitles you to a free bag of food up to 3kg, 10% of purchases, a free grooming session and one more thing that I can't think of but it's all free.

17. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Ooo it might be worth signing up to fish4dogs website...they used to send a puppy pack too for free but didn't advertise it as such. Putting your email address, address and registering with the website is worth it just for that!

Plus. I get occasionally the £5 charity bag thing, which is pretty much the puppy pack use the kibble as treats, the mousse is great for kongs. Few treats too in it...haven't bought it for a while might be more expensive now

18. spamvicious

Ooh thanks I'll have a look and see if they still do it :)

19. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Some puppies do get pushed out by the other puppies, especially as they get bigger. There will always be a degree of difference in strength, weight and personality and some puppies simply don't push. If the breeder has noticed that your pup is not always getting their fair share then that is a good thing. I don't know how old your puppy is (about 3-4 weeks perhaps?) but I suspect that they are close to weaning anyway. It doesn't mean that your puppy is small or weak or even the so called runt so i really wouldn't worry. Just keep chatting to the breeder ....

J

20. spamvicious

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice