Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppy support thread

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, May 7, 2017.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Seeing as there's a few of us here who have young puppies I thought It would be a good idea to have somewhere to vent and ask questions which more experienced members can help with if they want to. The things I'm struggling with at the moment are:

1) Star has no routine with her pooping, it can be any time of day up to 6 times a day. I take her out after she's eaten but I can be out for half and hour but nothing will happen. So she's having accidents in the house. I'm wondering if its the food I'm feeding her?. The kibble is very small so maybe it's not being digested properly?.

2) Whenever I crate her during the day she cries and howls so I find it really hard to do. At night she will go in voluntarily to sleep so I can just close it and it's not an issue. It's making me feel really guilty if I do go out for an hour as I just imagine she's crying.

3)When she goes to sleep at random points during the day, if I move or do something she wakes up and springs into action mode so I find myself just sitting around so I don't disturb her. I know it's the wrong thing to do but then I worry she's not getting enough sleep.

Feel free to add your own issues or solutions.

2. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

1) I doubt it's the size of the kibble. The smaller it is the easier it should be to digest. What are you feeding her? It can also be the treats/ any other food that you give her. Are her stools looking ok? not too runny or weird colour? If not, then I wouldn't worry but would consider trying a different food. There is a very informative and a good thread about different brands of dry food in the dog health and nutrition section of the forum.

2) If you're worried about her when you go to the shop or somewhere, just leave your laptop or phone with the camera on, go for a walk around the block for 20-30mins and look through the video when you come back. If she is unhappy in the crate during the day, give her a frozen kong or some interesting toy in the crate to keep her busy.

3) My dog is 4 and still does that.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im only going to answer point one, cos im lazy.

If she is having indoor accidents, you probably arent taking her out frequently enough. All the time she is awake, then its out every 20 mins, and watching her like a hawk when inside so she simply doesnt have the opportunity to have an accident. Just think of it as great exercise, as you'll be up and down constantly.

Rott lover likes this.
  4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

1) What are you feeding her? Lily goes around 2-3 times. If it's formed and firm I wouldn't worry.
    I'm using incontinence bed pads in Lily's room, she goes on them every time. When she is able to hold herself better then I'll work on house-training properly but living in an apartment I can't get her downstairs on time, every time. She is heavily rewarded when she does any mess outside.

2) Build up to shutting the crate, the amount of time she spends in there and you being out of sight gradually.
    Feed her in the crate and leave the door open. Once she is comfortable with that, give her a kong shove some kibble or food inside or a chew and let her work on that inside the crate. Shut the door for a few seconds, then open. You can steadily increase the amount of time.

3) When Lily is overly tired I put her in her own space behind a stair gate - pup free zones are a blessing!! That way she knows it's time to settle otherwise she would go until she dropped. She has toys and chews to entertain herself too.

My issue is the biting! :Arghh
    At the moment I'm saying "owww" and ignoring her until she calms down then reward or for hard bites "owww" and walking away, I go back to her after a couple of minutes and try again.

5. spamvicious

She's on purina pro plan, which I'm gradually changing over to something called healthy option pet food which I get in my local pet shop. Yeah it's completely formed but just so often, I walk her on the grass but she doesn't do anything most of the time so I have to wait for her tell tale sign of darting back and forth but I don't always get her out in time as like you I'm in a flat.

ooh no problem with biting here yet. She catches me a lot when she's trying to bite her toy but doesn't intentionally bite me but I'm sure that's gonna come. You sound like you're doing the right thing with her though.

6. shadowmare

Personally, would look for a better quality food as the healthy option doesn't sound like it's worth the money IMO.

7. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Healthy Option pet food seems to have white and brown rice as the main ingredient minimum 55%? Seems expensive for what it is!! Personally I'd look for a puppy food where the main ingredients are meat/fish - Star should have less frequent, more firm, smaller and less smelly stools as a result. Only saying because you seem concerned about the amount she is producing
    Lily is fed Nutriment puppy formula for her meals and Akela kibble as treats which are suitable for all life stages.
    If you want to look at better foods All About Dog Food is a good resource www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Lily loves tugging on my clothes! :rolleyes: BUT she hasn't bitten my skin today yet so that's something!! :Smug

8. spamvicious

Yeah I just looked up the healthy option food and I didn't realise it was so high in carbs so I'll look at something else, thankfully I only bought a small bag so no loss really. I'm torn between james wellbeloved or burns for the puppy food. I want something I can buy in shops.

9. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Don't feel like you have to just buy puppy foods, most are the exactly same ingredients as the adult version and the only real difference is the price.

10. spamvicious

Oh ok thanks for that. Do you have any suggestions for dry food?. I had heard good things about Burns and JW but when I looked on allaboutdogfood.co.uk they don't have the best reviews.

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

There's a sticky thread in the health and nutrition section with a list of good dog foods. I quite like pets at homes wainwrights grain free, they go on offer a lot so it works out pretty good price wise and mine did well on it. Mine are now on Millies wolfheart trout and duck and they love it.

With food it's definitely a shop around trying different ones (buying small bags) to find one that suits your dog.

12. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Actually that isn't true.

The majority of puppy foods are more calorie dense - after all growing pups need more calories to support their growth and development. They also need more protein, fat, certain minerals and trace elements than some adult foods provide.

Large breed puppy foods also have the correct amount of calories and calcium since excess calcium intake has shown to have adverse effects on skeletal development in large breeds.

I would always feed an all life stages food or puppy food - follow the manufactures guidelines as to when to move onto the adult version.

13. shadowmare

14. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

The best food is what your dog gets on with, your budget can afford and what you can get easily.

That said I really like Lovejoys.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  15. spamvicious

16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Its the calcium and phosphorus ratio that's utmost importance in puppy food and foods for giant breeds especially..

All lifestages food as you have already said adheres to the correct proportions although for giant breeds I would prefer a giant breed puppy food.

Feed whatever suits your lifestyle, your budget and your dog. Too much change on young puppies can make them fussy. The higher 'meat' content usually the feeding amount is lower.
    Remember feeding guidelines are just that...usually generous..but a good starting point for puppies.

17. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

That is such a perfect comment for a puppy thread :D

And so true as we wait for them to grow up.

My advice for food is relax ....and as has been said so well ...feed 'whatever suits your lifestyle, your budget and your dog'. There is no one right answer. I stay on puppy food until I think the majority of super fast growing is done (about 7 months of age). Some puppies are picky eaters. Don't worry ...they'll probably (not) grow out of it ;) but don't spend time (and money) stressing over it. Others are born hoovers.

J

18. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I did say most not all. There's no reason for puppy food to be so much more expensive than their adult food other than them charging more because they know people will pay it.

There is a lot of good quality food where they don't do life stages food and their food is complete and appropriate for all life stages. So just looking at puppy food cuts out a lot of good food options.

tantrumbean likes this.
  19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Regulations means if its suitable for lifestages it has to state it somewhere on the packet...

I used to think adult food was suitable till I read more into it...and its the calcium phophorus ratio that's important in it..

Hence why dog food companies do puppy food, and not all are more expensive.

20. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

It must be difficult to toilet train if you have no direct access to a garden and it will take a little longer but it will happen.
    Pooping 6 times a day is alot....My preference is Arden Grange puppy chicken and rice and Ellie will poop 2-3 times a day and will stay on puppy AG untill she is 7 months.
    When I leave my pup she is crated as other adult dogs here and its not safe to leave her alone with them, she is left with a treat ball containing kibble and its a very small hole so entertains her for quite a while when I leave and I leave the radio on.
    As for her sleeping during the day I do not tip toe around her but do all normal things and she just excepts it when she's tired as I just ignore her if she wakes.
    Ellie is 6 months now and has grown into a lovely young lady and so will your star when you get through the young pup stage.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice