Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy suddenly started crying at bedtime

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Winniethepoodle, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

Winnie has been excellent going to bed and going into the crate without a fuss every night. We normally wouldn't hear a peep once the door shuts. Lately she has been whining for a few minutes before going quiet and the other night it was louder and went on for about 10 minutes before she fell asleep. She was overtired on that night and we put it down to that but the other nights she was just her usual tired. She doesn't do it every night. The night before she was quiet but last night there was a couple of minutes of whining . Its like she doesn't want to go to bed even though she is getting sleepy. Should I just ignore this?

#1 Winniethepoodle, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Can you sit with her until she drops off offering comfort?

Torin. likes this.
  3. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

sorry i dont know much about winnie... but how old?... could be just pushing crate boundaries a little... seeing if you would come?

Personally yes i would ignore it if its only for a few mins or so, however if the whining turns into distress then go to her... luckily biff still loves his crate at 16 months apart from a few mins of barking around 12m onths he never has caused an issue so hopefully others may be able to advise further...

done anything different prior to her going into the crate the nights she has whined? ie playing a little before hand so she doesn't want to settle yet?

4. Winniethepoodle

She is a week over 4 months and it is very odd because last night she didn't whine at all. I follow the same routine each night and she certainly knows the routine herself as she does things before I do. She seems resistant to get in to the crate as she was last night and I have to encourage her to get in. This has only happened recently as she used to get in herself quite eagerly. So last night she needed coaxing to get in the crate and I shut the door and covered the front as I have always done and she didn't make a sound. In the morning there is no mad dash to get out. She lies there calmly and when the door is opened she slowly comes out stretching and yawning. Apart from the one night when she was overtired the other times she was quite sleepy and ready for bed. I avoid playing for the last hour before bed and any playing before that is gentle play. She normally just has a chew on her cuddly toys. We had to deal with zoomies at night when she was a bit younger so I try and avoid a zoomie situation now and she doesn't have them now at night and has the occasional one during the day but not always. I don't understand why the eagerness to get in without coaxing has happened and the occasional whine which is literally a couple of minutes.....I can hear her when I am in the bathroom and by the time I get out its stopped. I just don't want it to get worse.

5. Winniethepoodle

It's usually only a couple of minutes. Last night there was nothing. I can't work out why its only sometimes.

6. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

My pup is 4 months and some days he whines a bit at nighttime some days he doesn't. I just ignore him when he does and he settles after a few minutes, she probably just doesn't always want to go to bed.. Like a child! You could try giving her a tasty but safe chew at bedtime or a Kong to help her settle?

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  7. Winniethepoodle

She does get a bedtime biscuit as part of her routine but if its something that your pup is doing then my mind is more at rest. I think my worry is that it will go on for longer at some point so keeping fingers crossed it is just a short whinge about not wanting to go to bed.

8. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Sounds like she is happy with the crate when she is in but like I said poss pushing a few boundaries.. personally I would so some more crate training games during the day and early evening like you would have done at the start to to reassure the positive .....or some people suggest bit of music in the background ....now Biff just puts himself in his crate whislt I'm usually doing tea with something playing on the echo.. just an idea based on my experience

Or some people may suggest a small Kong and something nice to lick out so it relaxes and soothes her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice