Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy sleeping through the night

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RowCae, Apr 15, 2019.

1. RowCae

RowCae PetForums Junior

Hi everyone

We brought our puppy home yesterday, she is an 8 week old Lab. She settled in really well and her first night went as could be expected, she woke 4 times but settled back quite well back in her crate.

I just wondered what the consensus was on how long her crate should be in our room and how long it will take for her to start sleeping longer periods of time?

Thanks!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't want to disappoint you but puppies do sometimes sleep.well on the first night because they are so tired after their big day!

I would try keeping the crate in your room for a couple of weeks then try moving it to just outside the door for a few nights, a few feet further away for a few nights and gradually keep going step by step until she is where you want her.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How long is a piece of string? ;)

Let her set the pace. If she gets anxious then that could backfire big time for the long term.

The more comfort and support she gets now the better imo and she should gradually and naturally become more independent and confident as she grows.

picaresque, RowCae and lullabydream like this.
  4. RowCae

RowCae PetForums Junior

Ok thanks :) my husband is going to stay in a different room with her tonight because our toddler is still in our bedroom and they kept waking each other up!

5. Allybean11

Allybean11 PetForums Junior

Depends on the dog, but our lab x (9 weeks) she’s now 3 years, had a week in a crate in our bedroom, then a couple of weeks just outside our bedroom door with our door open, so we could comfort her with our voices from the bed, then downstairs. There was whining at first and a couple of set backs, but over all, she was happy downstairs after that :) hope that helps! Pics would be great of the new addition!

RowCae likes this.
  6. RowCae

RowCae PetForums Junior

Thank you! We are going to see how she gets on over the next few nights! Here she is, shes a little cutie 20190414_162905.jpg 20190414_151951.jpg

Boxer123 and lullabydream like this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Stunning puppy!

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness she is cute. My puppy slept well through the night early on but I did keep him in with me.

9. RowCae

RowCae PetForums Junior

She woke 3 times last night and was easily settled except for one time where she played for about 40 minutes!

We are worried she isnt getting enough sleep during the day, we read puppies need 18 hours of sleep a day but our kids are quite noisy and I'm worried they are disturbing her so we are going to try letting her nap in her crate in another room we can see so she gets some sleep

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice