Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy sickness

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by farmerjo, Apr 3, 2011.

1. farmerjo

farmerjo PetForums Newbie

I have an 11 wk old puppy who gets travel sick even on very short journeys or riding in the tractor, need to be able to take her with me and I don't want to resort to medication any ideas? any herbal remedies that work?

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

you could try an arrowroot biscuit, one of mine was terribly travel sick when she was a youngster even though we use to take her on small frequent journeys... shes much better now and is only sick occasionally.

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

You might find she grows out of it. Can she see where she's going? Mine were awful the first couple of weeks then just stopped being sick once they'd got used to it. They go in the car every day so had to get used, I suppose. I reckon a tractor, being very chuggy/diesel may take a while longer. :)

4. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

It can be plain motion sickness or anxiety related. I would suggest a period of training... Go out to the car and put your dog where they would normally travel, calmly and quietly, without comforting them. You get in the driver seat and sit down but don't start the engine, wait for your pup to calm down then leave get out and reward the pup. repeat this over a few days then repeat with engine on then going round the block and slowly build it up.

The above advise about dogs being able to see out can also help too.

There is only one medication licensed for this and it is not cheap. (cerenia)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice