Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy showing aggression during training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bekahc, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bekahc

Bekahc PetForums Newbie

I have an 8 week old labradoodle pup and I am beginning to train her. She does great with all the basic commands, but for some reason whenever I try to teach her to come she gets very aggressive. I squat down and beckon her to come, and she will first get defensive and then come but do it while barking and growling - and once she gets to me she nips at my hands. It's difficult because she is technically coming, and I want to reward her, but I cannot reward her for her aggressive little temper-tantrum getting here. I am not using a harsh voice, I don't understand why she is reacting this way. I'm thinking that maybe she reacts this way under frustration and that I am not teaching her correctly? Or is this a puppy trying to be dominant? Any thoughts/advice?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Without seeing what is happening it is difficult to comment but all I will say is that it sounds as though there is some conflict there and you need to identify the cause. Perhaps try not using your hands at all but recall her to a dish of some treats or food

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

At 8 weeks I doubt she is being aggressive, but just being a puppy trying to learn to understand how to live with humans who are so different from her mother and siblings.
    Puppies do tend to home in on our hands which flap about and are just right for biting

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Dogs don't try to dominate us. :)

Maybe she is "speaking" rather than growling, and excited and a bit confused rather than aggressive?

Maybe, shorten the training period and only ask a few times and quit as soon as she gets it right a couple of times. Training is very tiring for pups.

Wiz201, ouesi and Magyarmum like this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's how pups play, it's not aggression. And definitely not dominance!
    Try calling her in to the side of your leg, standing up, with your back to her instead of facing her. There won't be hands as targets but can hold a treat under her nose as she approaches.

Lurcherlad, Wiz201 and ouesi like this.
  6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

But she's a tiny baby puppy who has just left her mother and siblings. It certainly isn't aggression or dominance at that age and she is far to young to start doing formal training IMO.

I've trained many, many puppies over the past 40 years and for the first two or three weeks after they arrive I concentrate on getting a little routine of eating, sleeping and toilet training going and they begin to learn their name. I don't expect anything more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice