Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy running away when called

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by dagny0823, May 5, 2010.

1. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Hi all! I hope someone can help with this little issue.

Ragnar is now 5 1/2 months old. He's a joy. He's sweet and affectionate and mostly comes when he's called, but he has recently discovered the game of running away. We may have introduced him to it, but when he's outside in the garden he likes to run laps and go under shrubs and we run around with him and chase him a little to encourage him to blow off a little more steam while he's outside. Sometimes we get a ball, or run with a stick. He has a great time and when he's tired, he gets carried back in (there's a lot of steps and he's afraid of the uncarpeted ones so he gets carried.

However, he here recently has decided the game is so much fun that he likes to run away sometimes in the house--usually when he has indicated he needs to go out. We ask him if he has to go "out" and he barks and then we have to chase him around to catch him. Same thing after he's gone out and done his business. Sometimes I can't just sit for 30 minutes waiting for him to tire out--I have to get to work or whatever and he needs to go inside, but he insists on being chased.

I've tried not to encourage him by ignoring him when he runs. I've tried going inside hoping he'll follow me. I've tried any number of ruses, such as squeaky toys and treat lures. He's not very food driven, so I've yet to find something he'll come running for. I want to stress, too, that he's not afraid--he never gets punished for running away, and I try not to get stressed about it. I reward him when he comes to me. I just think his little game is so fun to him that he wants to play it.

Any suggestions about getting him to understand the boundaries between play time and needing to come when he's called no matter what? Or will he just grow out of it if I keep doing what I'm doing?

Thanks!!

2. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Oopsy! I clicked the wrong link on the main menu--meant to put this in training and behavior. Long day---sorry......I'm reposting there. Hopefully the mods will just delete this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice