Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lifeizsweet, Jun 25, 2009.

1. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Quick question guys, Should you be able to feel a puppy's ribs?

I went to see my friends new puppies yesterday and when you stroked them under the fluff they are very boney.

I know the woman they bought them from was odd, she wouldn't let my friend meet the dogs mother or father?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd be worried if you couldn't feel a pups ribs, but they shouldn't be protruding, they should have a covering over them, so when you run your hands down the side you can feel them through something, if that makes sense.

I'd also be worried about why the person selling the pup wouldn't let your friend see either parent, it sounds to me like either they're a middleman for a puppy farmer, or exceedingly eccentric!

3. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

That is odd about not be allowed to see the parents?? Did she give a reason why? Has your friend got them booked in for a check at the vets?

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

They were pretty much fluff and bones, I dont recal my puppy feeling half as boney when i went to visit him, shall find out on Saturday I guess.

The lady first said the dogs were family pets who got together by accident. Then admitted she was infact a breeder...

5. Pamela

Pamela Guest

What breed is it? You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them. I would not buy a puppy that they wouldn't let me see the parents.

6. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

Ditto. very strange....

7. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Same here, strange indeed

8. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

yes again agree very strange that your friend wasnt able to see parents, and concerning that the lady also lied!! regarding pets then admitting to be a breeder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice