Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy proofing balcony

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by joerosie+billy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. joerosie+billy

joerosie+billy PetForums Newbie

Hi all!

We have our working cocker spaniel puppy, Billy, arriving to our home in a few weeks. We have small gaps under our balcony fence which we don't want Billy trying to squeeze under.
    Does anyone know of any balcony screens or mesh that is suitable? Or have any ideas of how to puppy proof it?
    I've had a good look online and can't find anything suitable.
    Many thanks!
    Joe, Rosie + Billy.

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF :)
    Can you make a barrier of chicken wire or plastic garden mesh attached around the bottom with a wooden frame so it doesn't move. or just buy some wood and fill in the gap in until he/she gets bigger.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

A picture of what you are dealing with would be helpful.

Happy Paws2, Torin. and Dog-dogs like this.
  4. joerosie+billy

thanks for all your quick replies @Happy Paws2 & @lorilu

here's an image of one side of our balcony. Even if I use chicken wire/mesh, I'm not sure i he'd be able to snuggle his way underneath?

What are your opinions?

thanks in advance,

Attached Files:

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Buy a cheap puppy pen and run it along the edge of the artificial grass so he can't get anywhere near the railings. I would be worried he could squeeze through the bars as well as underneath.
    them.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'd be inclined to simply install hardware cloth fencing (I like it better than chicken wire) in front of the entire railing, completely blocking access to it, until he is big enough not to fit through those railings. Or maybe plan to keep it permanent if you think, even after his body is too big to fit, he might try to stick his head through.

7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

A wooden / bamboo screen around the railings?

8. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

I agree with the puppy pen idea. We bought ours from amazon for £30 and use it to block the patio from the grass in our garden as there’s a low brick wall separating the two and our dog prefers to hurdle it than go on the path like any civilised dog should. But hurdling the wall while trying to defend us all from the fox that taunts her from the garage roof means she keeps bashing her front paw in the wall. The pen has done a great job of stopping her.

Lovely view by the way!

joerosie+billy likes this.
  9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I think if it were me I'd go for plastic garden mesh @Happy Paws2 suggested across all of it. It's very robust stuff, and it comes in dark green or black, which is much easier on the eye than the galvanised metal of mesh (US 'hardware cloth') or chicken wire. Lets your eye see through it to the view beyond, rather than drawing your eye to focus on the barrier. Also being plastic it's much easier to cut to size and there's no resulting sharp edges to scratch you.

I have it across the bottom section of my garden gate to stop my dog squeezing out. I'll just go grab a photo for you.
    ETA
    IMG_20200701_163239960_HDR.jpg
    (mine's tied on with garden wire as that's what I had to hand, but matching dark green or black cable ties would look neater)

#9 Torin., Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    joerosie+billy and lorilu like this.
  10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You're going to have to block the top for when he gets older, so it may be worth seeing if you can find a carpenter to make something robust to measure. Will probably look nicer too.

A spaniel will jump that easily.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I like garden mesh (I call it deer fence) too, but didn't know if it would be strong enough for a puppy. It works great on my porch for my cats, I wrapped the whole porch and they are quite secure.

Torin. likes this.
  12. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I got the idea originally from family who breed spaniels and PRTs and they've all been fine. But I guess if they had had problems it wouldn't have been as horrendous an outcome as neither set of people were dealing with balconies or anything else with dogs up high :)

13. joerosie+billy

thank you all very much, its great to get a few other opinions. Isn;t it great to have a discussion and brainstorm like this. really appreciate all your feedback.

lorilu likes this.
  14. Saluki

Saluki PetForums Junior

Tbh I’m not sure I’d be comfortable using it at all for a spaniel if he manages it just doesn’t bear thinking about, puppy I’d use pen it’s solid and can’t be pushed and older I’d have a tether or completely enclosed as someone else suggested. I’d be scared of falling over myself let alone dog, out of all my dogs all would have had a go at some point after a bird etc or even something going on below

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am not sure I would want to risk a puppy or an older dog for that matter anywhere near that. I think, if you want the dog on the balcony, you will have to put up a 5 foot strong barrier that is fixed firmly to the floor. My miniature poodle would last 2 minutes up there. Where her head fits, as doubtless it would, her body follows and she can get over a 4 foot 6 gate effortlessly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice