Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy-proof toys?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by katiefranke, Jul 29, 2009.

1. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, Maggie (our 17 week old Border Collie pup) has just started teething from about a week or so ago and has managed to destroy nearly all her toys this past week (and she has A LOT)!!! :(

She seems to be a very strong chewer, as all the toys I have bought specifically for teething puppies are getting destroyed in a 2 minute chewing session!

The only things that are surviving are Kongs (we have an assortment of shapes and she loves them) and the Orbee/Planet Dog rubber bone toys, but the adult ones.

Even the Nylabone for teething puppies didn't last longer than one eve! Although the adult one has lasted considerably longer.

All her stuffed toys are now ripped and I have sewn them all up - she just literally chews and chews at a specific spot until it breaks.

On Sunday night she destroyed three toys one after another within 5 mins each - an apparently 'Invincible rubber ring' had rubber coming off it in minutes, and two toys by a new company I cant remember the name, one was a puppy teether toy that split and one was a canvas type thing that held a water bottle which ripped almost immediately!!

So any ideas on toys that will last longer? I have accepted she is obviously a very strong chewer !! :) So I am going to go online and order some new bits and pieces for her, so any thoughts before I do would be appreciated?

The one good thing is that she is extremely good and only ever chews her toys, never anything else! :rolleyes:

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I will watch this thread with interest :D one of our dogs have chewed all toys even kongs,i have yet to find a toy he can not chew he does not have them long before they are in bits.

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Errmmm dont think one has been invented, despite what the manufacturer says :D :D :D my boy is just as happy with cardboard boxes and envelopes when the post gets opened he sits and waits for them :rolleyes: :smilewinkgrin:

4. rona

rona Guest

#4 rona, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Logan is our 21 week old gsd puppy and he is the same, we have given up on the purpose made toys and resorted to pop bottles without the lids!! he loves throwing them about and chewing them it seems to soothe his gums, obviously we keep an eye on him and if they split (which is rare i have to say) then we throw them away and give him a new one. We also fill them with chicken stock and freeze them then let him have them outside in the garden and it really seems to help soothe his mouth!!! (obviously when you freeze the bottle you need the lid on but just remember to take it off before you give them it!!!)

6. Would go for a kong! but one of my dogs can destroy them beyond use!
    DT

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would say nylabones for hard chewers and Kongs.

Soft toys are pointless, unless bought for the purpose of destroying (I buy then form charity shops for mine) and rope toys are shredded in hours.

8. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, at least it's not just me!! Makes you wonder what sort of puppies these toys are made for then!!

I was so annoyed at how quickly they had broken that I took them back cos I had bought them at Pets at Home only that day! And the woman said well you know that puppies do like to chew!!! Nahh, I didn't know that :rolleyes: I pointed out that yes I did know that funny enough, which is why I had bought the toys that specifically said for teething puppies and strong chewers - plus you would not expect them to break after literally 5 mins! Anyway they gave me a refund luckily cos they weren't cheap.

Thanks Rona, that looks good, will def get one of those for her to try.

And maybe I will just get her more of the kongs and stuff as well but different shapes and sizes.

Yep we give her empty toilet rolls and plastic water bottles without the lids and she loves them, but they don't last long either :p

Well, toy manufacturers, if you are reading this thread, there might be a gap in the market here!!! :D

Any other suggestions from anyone - keep them coming?

Thanks all!

9. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

2 litre coke bottles - great fun and easily replacable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice