Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy problems

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Saralee, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Saralee

Saralee PetForums Newbie

Please help!!! I am really am at the end of my tether. I have a cockerpoo puppy who is just over 5 months now, he is still not clean through the night, have resorted now to shutting him in his crate at night. Before that let him have half of the kitchen and put newspaper down, but he'd mess on that and parts of the floor that were not covered. Now hes in crate he just does it in there, so now every day hes covered in wee were hes been sitting in it!!! I no he can hang on because he has done it on a couple of occasions, even had 4 nights in a row were he'd been clean. And yes he gets taken out before we go to bed and he poos and wees then, and when he has been clean make a real fuss of him in morning. Just the same if we go out will go to the toilet before we leave, come back and he will have messed, almost like he does it on purpose. I have another cockerpoo who is almost three now and he was clean quite quickly and is a fantastic dog. Which is why we decided to get another one. Which i am regretting now. Im finding now im cross with him most of the time and i dont want to be like that with him. Hes never left for long when im out, now i dread going out the house because i no what i've got to come back to. What shoud i do. Please help!!!!!!!!

2. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

He needs to be taken back to square one. Take him outside just before bed, then put him in the crate (fully bedded, not paper). Get up and take him outside a few times during the night. Then when he is doing that ok, just move them 15mins each day so that eventually you are not getting up in the night.

How long is he being left for each day?

3. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I agree with dandogman.

How big is the create it need's to be fairly small for toilet training purposes, as in all covered in bedding and not enough room for them to mess one end and sleep the other. I would set my alarm for the early hours and let him out in the middle of the night at least once a night and see how that goes.

How long are you asking him to hold it through the night ? His still a baby, i know it's hard but try and remain calm :)

4. Saralee

Saralee PetForums Newbie

Hi. He's only left for a couple of hours if out during day. I dont work so with him most of the time. At night left about 7 hours. But as i said he has had some clean nights so he can do it!! Used to leave bed in crate at the beginning and he woud mess at the side, but has bigger bed now which is same size as crate. Plus hes bigger so no room to put one in. Tried leaving a big towel in there the other night, next morning had messed all over towel and cage.

5. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Walking stimulates the intestines to pass stool and urinate to both relieve the bladder and scent mark over other dog's urine.

If you have problems getting your dog to "go" in the garden you can mark a place with the smallest dab of another dog's poo/urine taken from a public space.

Puppies have less muscle control of intestines and bladder than older dogs so when there is the urge to go it's coming out no matter the time of day or if in a cage etc, also their bladder and intestines are smaller then older dogs so fill up more quickly.

So set your pup up for success by feeding asymmetrically during the day. Largest meal for breakfast with smaller portions for lunch and the smallest snack in the early evening with less water.

I strongly suggest that you write and maintain a feeding/poo diary until you become experienced in knowing how long your pup takes from eating a meal until passing it. You can use sweetcorn or broken egg shells to act as a marker in food to see when that meal passes.

As you can see it's not very hard to do - but requires some thinking.

Your pup only knows how to be a pup - you are a human with highly developed brain so use it!

------------edit-----------

IMHO putting a pup in a cage is just wrong.

The fact that passing stool in the cage becomes establish is setting yourself up for problems, you can use bio-washing powder on a cold wash to remove the smell also distilled vinegar to cover the smell, because if the smell is still there it encourages the dog to pass stool there.

#5 Manoy Moneelil, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I strongly disagree with you. Crate training is a really good way (probably the best) to house train your pup and stop it chewing things. A dog doesnt see it as a cage but as a haven and a den.

7. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

hi i have 2 cavalier king charles spaniels and 1 is a puppy she is only 12 weeks old,when i got her at 8 weeks i got up every 2 hours for the first 2 weeks was exhausting but has paid off she is now clean in the house it is hard work in the beginning but it really does pay off for a couple of weeks sleepless nights just think of it as having a new baby in the house hope your puppy sorted soon x

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you still got paper or training pads down? if so that can often be the problem, depending on what environment and how clean he was kept prior to you getting him that can be the problem too. if the litter is given paper and kept in a very confined area it can become an ingrained habit. if you then continue at home with the paper or pads the same and they are again kept in a confined area, to them they are doing no wrong, paper was/is the place to go its what they know. That may be why he poops/pees in a crate too.

Personally I would go back to absolute basics like he has just arrived.
    Out every 30/45 minutes, start to go use a name if you dont already, they associate the name with going and you can use it as a toilet cue later. When finshed praise and treats. Any accidents dont tell him off, it can make them nervous about going in front of you, and also sneak off to try and do it. Any accidents also clean up with a special odour remover smells left can encourage repeats in the same places. Look out for circling and sniffing and scratching, take him out then and after, drinking ,eating, play and sleeping.
    Praise praise and more praise and treats when he gets it right, re-enforce that outside is the place. I know its only certain times he is doing it but by doing a complete re- fresher course it should instill outside is the right place.

Crates are only an aid to toilet training anyway, if they need to go, then they will do it they are left with no choice.
    I would either, sleep downstairs for a couple of weeks (which is what I have done with mine) so that when he wakes or stirs you can take him out to toilet.
    Some people have the crate in the bedroom so they can do it. Or if you dont want to do either of those, then set an alarm a couple of times and put him out that way. I found after a couple of weeks mine were going through until morning anyway.

If after a couple of weeks its still not improving, then I would look at perhaps the toileting being a form of Anxiety when left. I would though cross that bridge if you come to it and try an intense day and night toileting course first.
    No paper just consistently frequent short visits outside for a couple of weeks day and night.

There was a guy on her a couple of weeks ago, similar problem several months of wet soaked beds and crates every night, never took the pup out.
    Took pup out once or twice first night clean crate and bed first time in months.

#8 Sled dog hotel, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. dee41

dee41 PetForums Newbie

i agree with sled dog hotel being cross will just frighten your pup i was standing on the garden at 2 in the morning freezing and praising my puppy think my neighbours thought i was crackers lol x

10. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Are you sure your puppy isn't anxious when left? Anxiety can result in toileting.

I had the same problem with my 9 month old foster pup, she could hold it, but when i started putting her in her crate at times outside of our normal crating routine i'd come back to a mess. I don't crate her unless I have to now but really need to re start crate training her a bit slower. I had to do it quickly as she was coming into season and I have an entire male.

Try restricting water access for your pup around an hour or 2 before bed, although make sure the first thing you do after taking him to the toilet in the morning is offer him water.

Where is the crate in your house? Would he settle more if he was in the crate in your room? Once he's older you can gradually move it further out your room to where you want him to sleep.

Also if he is pooing in the crate at night, look at what and when you're feeding him. I can't feed Cassie any later than 6.30pm else she needs to poo during the night.

11. Livesey

Livesey PetForums Member

As the others have said, go back to basics. I'll second the toileting diary, we put a piece of paper on our fridge and then every 30 minutes we would take Skyy outside and then write down what he had done, this slowly got lengthened to 35-40 mins etc and we started to see what sort of pattern he was having, we'd also note any time that he'd drank a lot of water etc. As for night time, I set my alarm to go off twice a night and then after a couple of nights moved the alarm 15 minutes to the right. Took about two weeks of getting up in the middle of the night but we got there. may seem like it will never work but it does and you will get there in the end :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice