Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy problem feeding?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rocco clough, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Rocco clough

Rocco clough PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    We got our 8 week old french bulldog puppy 3 days ago. I'm just a little concerned about his eating. He doesn't seem to be eating a lot? He is eating just seems to pick at it go away then have abit later. It says on the pack to split it into 3 meals which I have and on only one occasion has he ate all the food in the bowl. He is drinking plenty of so I'm not concerned about him dehydrating, the weather at the moment is very hot and he has had some loose poo's so wondering if he just doesn't fancy it in the warm weather? I'm using the same food the breeder used. He is very alert and seems great loves to play I'm just a concern That he isn't having enough food?
    This is my first dog so hopefully I'm worrying about nothing

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yes it could be the weather, it is very hot and as a brachy breed he will suffer in the heat far more than non brachy breeds.

Just put the food down three times a day and lift it as soon as he walks off, don't leave him the option to pick. Alternatively you could try being more creative in the way you feed him as some dogs prefer working for their food, plus it's a great way of keeping them entertained. You could try scatter feeding around your garden so he has to use his nose to find the food, and/or feed from toys; I use Kongs (which have the bonus of being freezable, great in this weather), Kong Wobblers etc.

3. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Ours was exactly the same when he was a pup (JRT Though), isn't much better now, i'd just mention it when your at the vets, we brought it up on every visit and the vet always said he's fine some dogs are just like that and he'll most likely live longer being slim. How much weight in a pack and how much is he leaving, reason i ask is the feeding guidelines on the packs are usually way way to much. I think it recommends 2 or 3 trays at 150g each for a 6kg JRT but he will hardly ever eat 1 full one

4. Rocco clough

Thanks for that I will try, probably my own fault leaving it out for a while because he probably feels he can have it at his leasure

5. Rocco clough

6. Rocco clough

It says 200g split into 3 portions for a 3kg dog which he is. He usually eats 2/3 or the bowl each time at his leasure. To be honest I've been giving him small treats when he does his business outside which is probably not helping, so I've started praising rather than the treats most of the time

7. Rocco clough

]It says 200g split into 3 portions for a 3kg dog which he is. He usually eats 2/3 or the bowl each time at his leasure. To be honest I've been giving him small treats when he does his business outside which is probably not helping, so I've started praising rather than the treats most of the time

8. steveshanks

Thats does sound a lot for a 3kg dog, like i mentioned ours is 6kg adult and gets 150g a day but maybe eats 120g, he does get treats and snacks too. You can get good healthy treats that will supplement his diet rather than spoil it. Pip gets Platinum Click-Bits (treats) and Fit-Sticks and Rocco Chings (snacks). Members with more knowledge will be along to advise on feeding though.

9. Rocco clough

Oh right so yours is eating 150g a day split into 3 portions, 200g for a dog half the weight does seem excessive then. I'll just keep a eye on him so how he goes, he's going the vets in a week for his 2nd injections so I'll ask them

10. steveshanks

He gets it all in one go, eating early in the day was another one of his issues. Yep check with the vet, better safe than sorry.

Rocco clough likes this.
  11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

At 8 weeks of age puppies should be on 4 meals a days... little and often feeding. Remember they are still very young, it's gentler on the digestive system, and vital for blood sugar levels.

Secondly is the food the same as what the breeder was feeding. It's usually best to feed what the breeder is feeding for a short while, as when puppies first come home they have lots of stress in their new life, that keeping them on the same food limits the amount of food.

Which leads me on to the following point...a lot of puppies are lacking 'appetite' so to speak when they first come home. This is rarely due to the food itself, but it's very different feeding by themselves, rather than with their litter mates. Bowls can also be different and the whole experience can be overwhelming and frightening. Puppies at this age need to gain confidence to eat alone.
    Your puppy will be more likely to eat treats, which really at this age needs only be from their daily food allowance, as it's usually the interaction.

Feeding guides can be generous for puppies, however do not forget, puppies need energy dense food, and a lot of it initially...and as they grow it tapers out to somewhat less for their size and so when they hit adult hood they need less.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice