Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Prices

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Silverdoof, May 21, 2020 at 9:15 AM.

1. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

Has anyone else Noticed how since lockdown the price of puppies has soared? Not just pedigree puppies, the designer bred crossbreeds as well. It is now rare to see puppies under 4 figures. Some breeds they are asking thousands for. These are not rare breeds.

i really despair at humo sapians greed

2. psychund

psychund PetForums Member

I haven’t noticed a jump! Though I’m from the US so perhaps it’s different in the UK. I haven’t even seen many litters in my area surprisingly. I tend to choose a favorite breeder for the breeds I enjoy though, and the ones I follow wouldn’t raise prices of their puppies without a thoroughly good reason.

3. Silverdoof

Crazy where i am. French Bulldogs were £1,000 - £1,800 Prior lockdown and now £3,000

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Member

Yes prices are ridiculous now. The worrying thing is that it proves that there is a lot of demand that wouldn't normally be there, so people are just buying due to being bored in lockdown.

Poor puppies. :mad:

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

There was a 9 month old 'poo' mixed with something (can't remember what, they all look pretty much the same anyway:rolleyes:) sold for £4,500 in my local area last week, & I know of a blue GSD pup who went for 7 grand, only to die of parvo 12 hours after coming into their new home.

Most responsible breeders won't be breeding for the time being, so that just leaves the legions of backyard breeders & puppy farmers to meet the disturbingly high demand for lockdown pets, & they can charge what they like because idiots are paying it.

No sympathy for them when they get stung, just for the poor bloody animals that suffer time & time again, ad nauseam.

lorilu, Lilylass, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  6. Silverdoof

yes agree. terrible that puppy died after costing so much. poor wee pet.

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Just had a quick look at the Champdogs golden retriever puppy’s for sale page. Normally it’s 2-3 pages of puppies, now just four breeders advertising and all four say that the puppies are reserved and none are showing prices (many were before lockdown). Champdogs tend to have the more responsible breeders so I’m not that surprised that there are so few.

lullabydream and margy like this.
  8. Silverdoof

Attached Files:

lullabydream likes this.
  9. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Who has that kind of money to spend on a dog? With the country going into recession and people losing their jobs, it's madness.

10. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

yep it's crazy-I considered a puppy before deciding to adopt and crossbreeds were being advertised for £700 that would have been £200 max before. And the popular crosses are being sold for thousands. It's madness.

Happy Paws2 and lullabydream like this.
  11. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Holy crap! My friend has a pomsky - HOWEVER she's a rescue from an Irish puppy farm where nearly all the litter were taken to be PTS because they were all single colour and not marked like huskies, meaning they couldn't be sold apparently!

lullabydream likes this.
  12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A friend of mine has a bitch that has had 11 pups she was mated before the lockdown. Someone asked if any pups were available and she said she had had that many enquiries she could sell the whole litter twice over. She is vetting all new homes very carefully.

A person in my area has a litter of German Spitz puppies not kc registered for sale for over £1000 each yet the normal price for a KC registered spitz is usually around £750

lullabydream and simplysardonic like this.
  13. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

That's quite cheap for a pomsky, even pre lockdown. Most seem to be on a sliding scale from a grand for the ones that just look like fawn spitz mutts to £3,000+ for the highly prized blue eyed 'teacup husky' ones, which pretty much sums up the mindset of both breeders & buyers.

lullabydream and Sarah H like this.
  14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

They are not pomskies they are pedigree German Spitz a totally different breed they had a litter about 8 months ago of the same parents which they sold for around £800

15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, I meant to quote this post:

I know German spitz, I'm owned by the lovely Vanya & you have us on Facebook;)

Freyja and lullabydream like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I mentioned it on another post - shocked by the price of unregistered and mismarked poodles.

17. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

So two litters in a year, not good breeders!

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  18. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

So within my breed, Weimaraners, we have seen prices double...but all the good breeders are on hold as cannot access studs. All those available seem to come from dubious background, and CNR to make them special...Rescues are going to be busy!

Lilylass and margy like this.
  19. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

No not good breeders at all especially when they say the parents are rescues as well. A friend enquired about the first litter just out of curiosity as there aren't many Spitz around she asked if they are Klein's or mittels as there are 2 varieties of German Spitz and was told they didn't know as the parents were rescues. The thing is if people will pay the price they will keep on breeding the bitch as they own both parents and as Spitz don't tend to have big litters and the big breeders run pups on until they are older people like these charge what they please as people want baby fluffy pups not pups that are 6 months old and going through puppy uglies

NyxTheGSD likes this.
  20. NyxTheGSD

NyxTheGSD PetForums Junior

Yes indeed, rescues will be very busy after the lockdown! Poor pups :(.

I've also seen any meduim/large black and tan pup listed as German Shepherd on Pets4homes. (IMO they mostly look like sighthound or sheepdog crosses to me) and I'm like??? Ok??? That's not alright??? And later, out of curiosity, I check back on the advert and they're all sold!
    Madness!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice