Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy prices extreme

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by luckyboy2008, Feb 13, 2008.

1. luckyboy2008

luckyboy2008 PetForums Newbie

hello everyone i hope i am making my first post in the right place ,however doesnt anyone feel that the prices of puppys are rocketing out of control my wife had a tiny yorkie wich now people call teacup size ,however now they want to charge nearly a thousand pound for a similar size pup when she got holly our dear little girl she was the runt of the pack but sadly we lost her quite a few years ago and their is no garantee that the pupy will stay under 3lb so you buy a puppy for the size you want pay all this money and end up with a full sized yorkie with no comeback against the owner although they advertise as teacup you feel robbed ,me and my wife are not in to small yorkies for the fashion side of things as we had our holly ten years ago before it was now fashionable we just like the underdog so to speak it suits us as we could take her every where with us but now breeders seem to see pound notes instead of future loving homes

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Hi to you, and yes unfortunately the tea cup yorkie is now in the designer dog price range!!!! Good luck in your hunt for your little dog.

3. luckyboy2008

but realisticly the breed tea cup doesnt actually exsist as abreed they a very small toy yorkies ie runts of the litters its a shame that people are throwing together x breeds for fashion and expecting top money for all intense purposes a mungrel any more veiws on this subject welcome

4. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

I think its totally wrong in breeding dogs for profit, why should a smaller dog cost more than any other? Its not as though these dogs cost more to look after before they leave home.

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I totally agree with you and with the fact that they are actually runts of the litter, we sometimes will have a runt and yes we do sell them cheaper than the rest of the litter. We do not breed for profit and will normally only have a litter to enable us to keep one to further our lines, when all outgoings are totted up they very rarely are covered by the sale of the pups if lucky we break even. And yes, it is paramount to us where our pups are homed. I wish you luck in finding your pup - have you tried some of the bona-fide breeders as oppose to those in the local rag, yellow free ads etc.

I will be with a friend who breeds and exhibits yorkies this weekend and will find out if he knows of anything if you would like

6. luckyboy2008

my thoughts totally you expect to pay around three to five hundred if its a dog that you really want but how can anyone justifie(excuse spelling) a thousand pound and a lot of the sellers now are saying pedigree but not kc registered how can they get away with it im o doogy expert i loved my holly for her not what lineage or breeding so not up to date on non kc registred dogs are but as a lay person i would say a non kc registred dog should be cheaper

7. luckyboy2008

hi yes some more info from your friend would be helpfull, but furhter to your point over cost if a litter has average four to five pups depending on the dog ect you say 650 per dog at five dogs thats a total 3,200 you take off say two hundred for stud fee and lets say 600 for inoculations ect your still left with enough to cover fees im not having a go at you im just trying to see were the justfication is in the extreme prices and how people can say they just scrape by my sister knew someone who bred dogs on a regular basis and made a very comftable living out of it and im sure that would count for a lot of dog breeders

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

trouble is its not just the small breeds that get well over priced as well
    the wolfhounds do and danes
    and its mostly all to do with fashion and the fashion of cross breeding is mad at the mo
    some are asking more for them then a pedigree.
    but as ive said while people are willing to pay these prices for dogs there are people willing to pay that price.
    they must have more money than sence

9. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Stud fees are now in the region of 500 - 600 pounds, I know you are not having a go at me and agree with you completely about the prices of pups and if they are not kc registered that is even worse - I can't help you at the mo with the correct prices for a yorkie but will speak to my friend this weekend and hopefully have some news for you on Monday!

And your sister is right some people do make a living out of it but and big but the puppies are probably not raised the same way that most breeders do which is with the feeding etc.

Just hold in there the right dog will come along for you when you least expect it.

10. luckyboy2008

im sure it will and look forward to see what information come up after the weekend nice chatting with you all

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Just out of interest what area are you?

12. Ferret

Ferret PetForums Junior

Certainly prices seem high! But if that is what the market will pay then, I guess that is the price... I have to say though I am astounded, as someone only embarking on my canine adventure... I am amazed to find that a bulldog puppy costs about £2000. Can this really be the price of a dog? Does anyone know if this price is reasonable?

13. griffpan

griffpan PetForums VIP

Hi all

I agree that breeding dogs shouldn't be done for profit making and i myself have never bred a litter.

However not all breeds are the same and some need health tests and also some breeds don't have easy whelping, like the bulldog just mentioned. Quite often a caesarian is needed.

I would expect a puppies price to reflect what the breeder has had to lay out in the first place. I would rather pay more for a pup knowing that the breeder has done all the prep work (eg relevant health tests for sire, dam etc, etc) than pay less and take a chance, even if it meant me saving up for a little bit longer.

That said my breed is a pretty hardy one and the pups can sell for up to £850 in some cases.

14. luckyboy2008

hi tashi my area is essex

15. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

When purchasing a pup I expect to pay not only my share of the healthtests, stud fee, equipment, but also for the breeders time in rearing the pup, I don't see why they should do all that work for nothing.
    Some of the prices for dogs do seem high, but while people are willing to pay them, they will remain that way.
    I would rather pay more and get exactly what I wanted, and if I couldn't afford it I would rethink, I like Collie's, so they do not command a high price, they are very common, even my husbands dual registered bitch, from strong working lines, with sire and dam health checked was relitavely cheap

16. luckyboy2008

i take your point but as abreeder either home or dare i say it puppy farm they have all the equipment they dont keep buying new equipment every time they breed their dog,and the fact is although they may love their dog they still dont mind huge profit from the litter its their hobby if you like and enjoy it and also if again its a puppy farm its a buisness and they are breeding for profit.and also its ok saying well i pay for what i want but a friend of our brought a puppy from a lady and she said he would stay small and he was the smallest in the litter in three months he was a full sized yorkshire terrieryet he was supposed to be a toy and they had no come back and they spent six hundred on him so infact they didnt get what they wanted,and as its sort of hit and miss its a lot of money ow many times does someone have to go through the buying process before they get the exact dog or bitch they want .if the add had said teacup / toy yorkie cant garuntee size price 400 you know what your getting but to pay a thousand pound for what you thik is a tiny tiny pup and it then turns out full size you would feel robbed just my opinion

17. carol

carol PetForums VIP

anyone heard of jollies in endfield crews hill
    they charge high price's for pups i see some gsd the other day.
    i just pop in to get a bulb for the snake viv, they were charging £800 for these pups and they get them from wales from puppy farms.
    they used to try and say the pups were kc but they got found out, but they still say pedigree and have no health checks and no papers.
    they are right rip offs.

18. garryd

garryd Guest

the thing is people are paying these high prices :(

19. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Thats right.

As long as people are paying the silly prices then these prices will remain high or worse still..increase :mad:

20. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Its the same with alot of things, the prices just keep going up.
    I have found though if you price puppies to what we would all call a reasonable amount people start to wonder why their so cheap and think theres something wrong with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice