Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Pooping excessively and at night?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dubs, Mar 30, 2011.

1. dubs

dubs PetForums Newbie

I am taking my shih tzu to the nurse clinic at the vets later but would welcome any advice. My 5 1/2 month old puppy has been doing brilliantly with house training - we crate her at night and for a couple of hours during the day. From 10 weeks old she went through from 11.30 through to 6.30 and once we started covering the crate over on 3 sides (she is in a really big open plan kitchen) she stopped yelping/crying through the night. It made her feel more secure I think.
    However 5 days ago she looked like she was struggling to poop and we had to clean her up as it got stuck in her fur (sorry!). That night she woke us up barking 3 times and each time we let her out she bolted to the kitchen door and pooped outside each time - soft not runny (again apologies!). She was fine the next day - a few poops but we then had a repetition of the previous night when she went to bed i.e up twice this time. The next day she wouldn't eat for a few hours - she is normally motivated completely by food! Since then she has eaten but more slowly but has left some of her morning feed. Her poops are soft but not runny but in the night she barking for us to let her out and is pooping each time.
    Could she develop this habit now of barking to get us up? At the moment it is obvious (I think) that she needs to go outside but I'm concerned it's starting to affect my children's sleep - she is quite loud! Any suggestions?
    Hopefully the vet will clear our minds with regards to her health - but again is this normal for a puppy her age?

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

My first query would be what are you feeding her? And how much? I wouldn't take whatever the vet/nurse offers but perhaps choose a high quality feed (search on here, there's tons of threads about decent food).

3. dubs

dubs PetForums Newbie

Hi - meant to say we are feeding her Royal Canin breed specific Shih Tzu Puppy food. She's been on this for about 15 weeks and it was introduced gradually. Previously she was on James Wellbeloved. We don't give her any scraps or any other food apart from a couple of James Wellbeloved treats when training her. Nothing seems to have changed. She does love chewing leaves and picking up stones and we have to watch her when she's out in the garden :confused:

4. rona

rona Guest

I would be concerned that her eating habits have changed. could it be possible that she has swallowed something that is causing a partial blockage?

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine only gets me up in the night if her tum is a bit dodgy. Which would make me think perhaps the RC isnt agreeing with her totally.

See what the vet says - changing foods a lot isnt a good idea, but then again nor is feeding something that doesn't suit her.

It's a difficult one.

Just like to add that RC isnt great as foods go and for that money you could get something with a higher meat content and less cereal. I would be dubious going back to JWB as that causes upsets in some dogs.

See how you go at the vets hopefully he will be able to suggest something to help.:D

6. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I know nothing about the breed, but regardless, I was involved in a heated thread recently about royal canin not being of the best. my two had awful diarrhoea until I switched their food. I did it very quickly as the clearing up was getting silly. (they're on raw now)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice