Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Poop

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Seraphim, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Seraphim

Seraphim PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I am the new and incredibly proud owner of a very gorgeous lil shih tzu pup. My question is with reguards to her nutrition and how often she should be going to poop. At present I am feeding her a mixture of Wainwrights small breed puppy dry and wet pouches as well as somd Lilys Kitchen wet food. Long term I would like to get her onto an entirely homecooked grain free and ultimately raw diet....but am still doing a bit of research on this as she is a much smaller dog than I have previously had. Having seen lots about 'good poops' that are small and less frequent, I am wondering whether or not I should maybe try another brand food in the interim and at present my lil Emmy is going around 4 times a day? She is currently 10wks old and has just had her second innoculations so isnt going for walks yet but has regular play sessions throughout the day.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

4 times a day for a pup if they are well formed too, doesn't sound a lot. How many meals is she on a day? at this age she should probably still be on about 4. Pups do usually go more then older dogs, because of the limited capacity to hold large amounts for long periods, plus having the 4 meals a day usually.

3. Seraphim

At the minute shes having 3 meals a day and averaging 3-4 poops. They are nice and solid but I was worried about the grain content of the wainwrights puppy food? She was weaned on Butchers by her breeder so just wanted to get her onto a more decent food asap. I think I'm going to start home cooking for her though until I can get her raw requirements down. Unfortunately my vet is not a fan of raw so I haven't been able to get much in the way of advice for switching a small breed puppy from there :/

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

She sounds like she is doing OK at the moment, but if you want to explore raw there are a lot of articles and links on the Raw foods vet website that may be of interest.

Raw Food Vets » Articles

Raw Food Vets » Useful Links

Raw Food Vets » Books

5. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I switched my small breed (Bichon) at 11 months old. If I'd known about raw diets and researched before I would have swapped her sooner.

There are some raw feeders on here who have put their pups straight onto raw after weaning.

There are plenty of experienced raw feeders here so I'm sure all your questions can be answered.

My vet isn't a fan of raw feeding either. My d-I-l mentioned to my vet that I raw feed, I've never had the discussion and don't intend to bring it up although I will be happy to talk about it if she mentions it :).

P.S. Photos of scrummy new pups are obligatory :D.

6. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I swapped my Husky pup to raw when he was 4/5 months old. After failing miserably to find a food that suited him. I also switched over my 9 year old ( now 10 ) Cavalier King Charles and swapped my rescue dog ( 15 months old ) over straight onto raw when she came to live with me :)

Mine poop once a day now

7. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

I bought my last puppy 2 years ago, she was on a kibble diet 4 times a day at 8 weeks, she was a bit dull and skinny when I got her.
    Within 2 days I had her changed over to an all raw diet, she had no upset tummies and her condition improved daily.
    Poos' very tiny and firm, never counted how many were done each day!

#7 wee man, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. Seraphim

9. Seraphim

I was really surprised that my vet wasn't a fan tbh as she has always seemed very open minded to things previously. My cockalier who passed on recently was run over by a quad bike as a youngster which although he made a good recovery meant he could never go long distances when walking so it was always a bit of a juggling act to keep his weight down as he tended to gain in the colder months when the weather made his joints stiff. But nope I mention raw and she started spouting off about how it would be undigestable to a such a small breed etc :/
    I'm convinced its the best way to go long term though as the more I've read about commercial foods the more aghast I have got :(

P.S am trying to add pics just not figured out how yet lol :p

10. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I use Tinypic ('cos I haven't got a Photobucket account) but there are other free photo hosting sites.

With Tinypic you click Browse and find the photo on your computer. Make sure File Type is set to Image. Go to Resize and from the drop down menu pick Message Board then click UPLOAD NOW.

When the photo has finished uploading (can take a couple of minutes) then copy the code from the list, ensure you pick the one for Message Board, then just past the code into your message and you'll get a picture the size of those in this post

http://www.petforums.co.uk/1063660165-post33.html

There are other ways of doing it, when you click to reply you'll get a message box, you can click on the paperclip on the top row of icons in the message box (next to the white smiley face) and choose an image from your computer, but you only get a small picture that way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice