Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy pooing in one place

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ukdude13, May 9, 2021.

1. ukdude13

ukdude13 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for some tips/advise. We got a Shar Pei puppy 4 weeks ago. He lives with me in a block of flats (no private garden) but goes to my mum and dads of a day (who does have a garden).

When he first came home with me he would wee and poo on the grass outside the flats (and seemed happy enough doing so). However over the past week or so he’s stopped pooing, he will still wee on the grass. But he seems to hold his poo until we get to my mum and dads and it’s the first thing he does when he arrives. Obviously at the moment this isn’t too much of a problem as we are going every day anyway but I want to start taking him away for weekend trips etc and I’m worried that he will try and hold it in until he’s back in the garden.

Why has this behaviour changed and how can I fix it or does it need fixing?

Thanks

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Perhaps he doesn’t feel the need to go until then? It will take a certain length of time for his breakfast (or whatever meal he’s had) to work its way through his system. I really shouldn’t worry - Puppies cannot ‘hold it’ at that age (I’m assuming around 12 weeks old?) They don’t even know they need to go until it’s about to happen.

niamh123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice