Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy playing trouble

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by nikkiXkev, Jan 13, 2012.

1. nikkiXkev

nikkiXkev PetForums Newbie

when my puppy has his toys and you want him to fetch he doesnt and when you go towards him he darts away which is a nightmare when he picks something up from the garden. also he growls when he has his toys and doesnt want to play he wants to demlish them

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Have you TAUGHT him to fetch?

Have you TAUGHT him to come?

I expect he is still teething which is why he wants to demolish his toys.

3. nikkiXkev

no he doesnt know fetch been trying it though but he backs off when you reach out for toy. yes he knows come when he wants to but when he has something you dont want him to have he flees away from you and around the kitchen.

4. nikkiXkev

also while im at it i have lifted everything out of his reach but he bites the wall in the kitchen and has bit down to the metal i have sprayed loads of chew deterrent on it but that makes no difference.

5. hawksport

hawksport Banned

What do you try to swap his toy or whatever else he has for?

6. Barryjparsons

Barryjparsons PetForums Member

Drop

He thinks it's a game. He grabs something, he runs off you chase him. :)

Get a very high value toy. Squeaky toys are usually good.

Offer the toy and when he drops what he is holding praise and give him the toy. After you have done this a lot of times add the drop command. If he is not interested in you, you are not being exciting enough. :D

I have a toy that only gets played with for very short periods, then it gets put away. It goes on walks, usually in my pocket and comes out if I need a serious distraction. It is an excellent training aid and was suggested by smokeybear and leashedforlife I think.

My pup is 6 months old and will happily drop a tug or ball on command even during a tug game. But a dirty sock he has grabbed!!! That's a different matter, he will stop chomping it, but will just hold it in his mouth and wait for you to take it.

Training fail for me, and there is nothing higher value than a sock for my pup. Luckily he is not a destroyer, he just mouths and twangs them. More drop training required.

Chewing

Not sure what you have but, when my pup was teething badly we had a hardwood dumbell , a material toy that we froze, and a kong.

Training takes a long time, consistence and thought. TV programs and you tube videos are not real life. Think weeks, not hours. :)

#6 Barryjparsons, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Most puppies love to run off with things so that you will chase them. I would be worried if he didn't, to be honest. The only way to end the game is to not chase him.

Have you taken him to any puppy classes? It sounds like you need teaching how to teach these things; fetch is not an easy one to teach and I seem to remember watching a class where it was taught and you have to work backwards somehow. Sorry, that is all I can remember.

Ferdie used to love to steal my DVDs off the shelf and run off with them - at least your pup is only running off with his toys.

8. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

he's a puppy, they do that, it's a great game, note the cheaky look in his ye when he does it :)

also, if hes teething why have you lifted everything away from he, he needs to chew, he'l chew whatever is there so make sure he has something, and a good range of something, he can chew. my girls have loved wood and metal especially and i wouldn't leave him with something like but when i have been around to monitor it i have given Stark broken bed slates. soft chew toys, squiggy toys, nobbly toys are all good to give him a range of chewy bits and people have studies which indicate the bigger range of toys/stimulation they have in younger years the more intelligence they have because they have experienced and tested things.

i keep finding new puppy owners on here who find their dogs are chewing everything s take everything away....... they're telling you something, listen to what they need, what they like. if you dog likes wall he wants something hard, if hes going for wall because he has nothing else test him with some things

give him a chance, he's only little, enjoy it, it doesnt last long :(

9. nikkiXkev

he grabs things from the garden and a squeaky toy doesnt seem to distract him. i know he is a pup and i have to be patient so i will write again when he is older

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well not surprisingly so does mine....!!

That's what puppies do and its taught behaviour before they arrive at 8 weeks or whatever. They're already well practiced snatching toys, leaves, lumps of mud, etc. off their littermates.

This is when you have to use your wits and try and distract them. When I take my pup out in the garden, I usually have a couple of different toys and some tiny pieces of chicken in my pocket.

I don't know how old your puppy is but mine's about 14 weeks (only had her 13 days as she was a rescue) and she doesn't even understand about taking tit-bits yet never mind even very basic training.

11. tttessa

tttessa PetForums Junior

He's a puppy - wants you to chase him!!! Ours (4 month old westie) loves that game - but now knows when to stop. We turn around and ignore him - he soooooooooo wants to please that he comes round and lies down in front of me looking up for praise.

We taught him to fetch by swapping his "prize" that he wanted to take away to his den(crate) for a bit of sausage....

Now the only thing he won't give up is :eek::eek::eek: cat poo.... not that I want it anyhow.....

12. nikkiXkev

we have now started swapping and it seems to be doing the trick. only problem is that if its not his toy and something of hours nothing works he wont let go of that

13. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Up the value of what you are giving in exchange

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice