Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Persistant Diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sez1979, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone had any advise.

We have a Dalmatian puppy who is now 12 weeks old. Since we got him at 8 weeks he has had a dodgy tummy. A couple of weeks ago we had a sample sent off and discovered he had Giardia. He has had 2 rounds of Noroclav, Metronidazole and Pro Kolin Paste, also Panacur to clear up the Giardia, he was also put on a special bland diet by the vet. In this time we have also been weaning him on to JWB Lamb and Rice Kibble, at the advise of our vet.

The problem is this, on the meds his Diarrhoea does seem to clear up, but once they have finished its back to square one! I took him back to the vet on Friday and said he had been on the JWB for over a week and yet was still producing piles of runny pudding! Cue another round of antibiotics which he is currently working his was through.

In all this time I might add that in every other way he is completely normal, running round like a complete nutter, gaining weight, chewing everything!

We are at a loss to know what the problem is, I'm beginning to think that this is all diet related?

Any thoughts?

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Is he on grain free food? Have you tried an uncommon protein, duck, venison etc?

A lot of dogs can't tolerate grain and a lot of dogs have problems with chicken.

Novak can't tolerate grains or chicken in dry food. Raw chicken is fine. And since I feed raw grain isn't an issue.

When I was going through similar issues the bet suggested trying a grain free food with an uncommon protein. I tried Simpsons grain free after a week-ish on him just eating scrambled egg and potato.

I introduced the food very gradually. I also used protexin profibre (a probiotic) for months and it sorted him out. If its wet food wainwrights wet trays ate great for dodgy tums. High in fibre and contain chicory which is good for upset tums.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The tum really needs time to recover and repair. How long were the poos firm for?
    Do you soak the food and are you sure you are not overfeeding?

Rather than change food completely, give JWB ocean white fish and rice. Our Chessie can cope with that and he has a very delicate tum.

4. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

Too be honest JWB is all we hve tried as didnt want to upset his tum anymore! Id say in the whole 4 weeks he has only had about 4/5 days of what I would call normal poo. I did wonder if he just needs more time to adjust after the giardia, and This time round the meds jst dont seem to be doing anything so I'm convinced its the food. As per the JWB packet he has 400g a day,spread over 4 feeds.

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

What was he on when you got him?

To be honest, I'd be inclined to go the white fish/chicken and rice route with him to settle his tum properly and stay on that for at least a week.
    If you want to try that, check with your vet first

6. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

The Gardia will take months to clear and of course some of the antibiotics could be the cause of the runs.

Do you offer your pup any probiotic yoghurt? If not I would introduce this as it will help balance out the bacteria in the pups gut.

7. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

He was on a food called Alpha, which is for high performance dogs which the breeder said he was weaned on??!! We have never heard of it snd neither had the vet! He is due his 2nd lot of jabs on sat so will speak to her then about changing his food!

8. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

I did wonder if it was still the giardia, the vet gave the impression that the meds would clear it up, and that would be it, gone! We do give him pro kolin paste, which works to balance the gut, and thankfully he loves that!

9. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Probiotic yoghurt will do the same thing but at a fraction of the cost!

10. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

Ok, i'll give that a go, thanks!

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'd go with fish and potato, not chicken and rice, in case he has a rice intolerance.

And I can't recommend protexin profibre enough, we tried yoghurt but it didn't do much,

12. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

How long was he taking panacur? He may well need a much longer dose, a short rest, and another long dose. If its a particularly bad infection of giardia, it can take weeks of treatment. Also you need to be vigilant in cleaning your yard and where he sleeps to avoid reinfection.

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Metranidazole and Panacur paste are usually effective at getting rid of giardia but if I remember rightly you have to do more then one course of the panacur.
    Have they not re-done the fecal tests to make sure the Giardia is clear or that there are not any other parasites or persistent bacterial infections like campylobacter that needs specific antibiotics and a long course.

Usually a 3 day fecal test is better, 3 samples taken on 3 consequetive days,
    less chance of missing anything that way. Sometimes dogs can get yeast overgrowth in the gut too like candida albicans these will feed and multiply more on sugars and carbs, so often a grain free diet helps. Candida albicans is present in the gut but when things like antibiotics are given especially different ones and lengthy courses (metranidazole is an AB too) it can kill off the good bacteria in the gut as well as bad bacteria and without the good gut bacteria which helps with things like a good digestion also yeasts like candida albicans can overproduce and you get overgrowth. A side effect of ABs is often diarrhoea anyway.

Might be an idea to discuss with the vet doing another fecal especially a 3 day fecal to see if there is anything going on still although there may be no point until he is off antibiotics. If he is OK whilst on the meds and it re-occurs after maybe he is on the wrong things and it just dampens it down and then starts again when off them.

14. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

He is due back at the vets on Sat for his 2nd lot of jabs, by then he will have finished all the meds, I ll see if he has improved and if not will take another sample with me to get it tested again, and ask for another course of Panacur. Although I,m very reluctant to keep giving him AB unless we know for sure the Giardia is back as these could be doing more harm than good to his litte tum! he's been on them constantly more or less for 4 weeks and I wonder if he just needs a rest and some plain food to give his system a break! But thanks ever so for your advise, He is a bit of a mystery as the vet says as he is the picture of health apart from the runs!

15. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Could well be worth trying once he finishes these antibiotics a grain free diet and a probiotic to help put back the good gut bacteria. Protexin who make prokolin do just a pre and probiotic, thimk its called Pro soluable.

Bionic Biotic is good too Ive used that
    Probiotic for Dogs | Bionic Biotic | Dog Health Supplement | Pooch and Mutt

Lintbells do one too
    Digestive problems in dogs, dog stomach problems - Lintbells

There is quite a few grain free diets on the market now, with all natural ingrediants and nothing artificial added too.

Ive know quite a few people who have fed Natural Dog food Company food too even though its not all grain free and its helped with dogs for senstive digestion and icky tums
    The Natural Dog Food Company … where good health comes naturally

17. Sez1979

Sez1979 PetForums Newbie

Ok thanks, i think i will contact them as our vet charges £90!

18. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

I would try a grain free food too. Have a look at the dog food index/sticky on this forum for up to date information on various diets. You do get what you pay for generally when it comes to decent dog foods. I have a dog that is intolerant to red meats which includes red meat fats so I have to be careful to make sure he avoids even chicken stuff that may be coated in red meat fats, hence I feed fish4dogs diets and treats. Gone are the days of the squits thank god! Good luck!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice