Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy pen, and other questions

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by cat43, May 13, 2010.

1. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

ok some of you will know that my kimi whelped her ( and my ) first litter 16 days ago, and up to now theyve been in the whelping box . they are now so huge tho that they started climbing up on the pig rails , especially when mum was out of the box, which is a lot now., it was getting a bit of a squeeze in there with 7 huge pups and mum.
    i have this morning recieved the huge puppy pen that i ordered, and have taken down the whelping box and replaced it with the pen. mum is quite happy to go in there to feed the pups, and generally seems to have more room, and pups dont seem to mind it, infact they seem to like sticking their noses thro the bars and sniffing around.
    they are falling asleep tho , at least some of them, with their noses throught the bars( thats the only bit of them that will fit lmao).is this ok , or should i have waited a while ?also im worried about them poking their little legs through while theyre sleeping, am i just being paranoid or could they get hurt .
    these are huge pups so were not talking little delicate things here.
    also at least 2 of them are now toileting without mums help, is that normal ( they can pee great rivers lol)
    and we seem to be getting one or 2 of them crying , or shouting quite loudly from time to time and mums kinda ignoring it lol, but shes feeding and cleaning them ok, althogh shes liking a fair bit of time away from them now too
    here a pic so you can see their size, this was yesterday at 15 days old

Attached Files:

#1 cat43, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. EmmaSmith

EmmaSmith PetForums Junior

Sorry I cant answer any your questions, but need to say those puppies are fab. Absolutely gorgeous. :thumbup:

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i'll swap you a pup for one of my kittens lol ;)

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I would line the pen with cardboard, so they can't get their legs through. :)

Sounds like everything is going well, lovely chunky pups. Bitches do start to leave the pups more often, and are better at ignoring them than we are lol! Don't worry, everything's fine, they're gorgeous. Toiletting for themselves is normal too at this age.

#4 luvmydogs, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

thanks , might try the cardboard.
    have to say im quite impressed tho, they are sleeping on the fleece i put one end, and weeing on the paper the other end hehehe, clever pups

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice