Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy peeing in her crate, where she sleeps, and doesn't seem to care! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by e_clark, Jun 6, 2010.

1. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

Right well this is a question for my sister really!

She has had her Siberian Husky puppy for about a week now, and she will be nearing on 8.5/9 weeks old.

She is crate training her, and had the crate sectioned off so that it was small enough for her, and she also has a travel crate for the car etc.

Now the thing is this puppy is not conforming to normal dog rules! My sister gets up at least 2 times a night with her (and she doesn't actually go to bed until late on anyways), so she is not being stuck in her crate for long periods, and she is in her bedroom, so if she asks to go out or whines she can hear her. HOWEVER, this puppy is more than happy to pee where she sleeps, as in she only has room in her crate to lie down, and she wees there, no whining or asking to go out or anything (could understand it if she was desperate and wasn't let out but no!). She has got better and is now asking to go out for a poop, but she is not fazed at all by waking up to wee - she doesn't fuss around or anything.

Has anyone got any suggestions for my sister? It just seems like shes doing everything right, but the puppy shouldn't be happy peeing where she sleeps, but she is, so its a difficult predicament.

Also, she seems to think her travel crate is a toilet and poop and pees the second she gets in there!! :lol:

I'm sure I've forgotten to mention something, so just ask if anything needs clarifying. She knows she's only had her a week and she is still very young, but she is just looking for suggestions of how to correct this behaviour as obviously does not want it continuing in the long run!

On another note my puppy comes home a week today!! :D But this is worrying me now that he's going to be the same - after reading so many threads on here about how good crate training is I'm starting to get a bit questioning, or is my sister's puppy an unusual case?

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

It may have something to do with what was allowed with the breeder, if the bed was newspaper and the pups were just going anywhere then they take a little longer to get the message that beds are not for peeing in! I would just tell your sister to continue with what she is doing, it is obviously working if pup is now pooping outside and not in the crate. Bladders on little ones don't hold much and with the warmer weather they are drinking more so going more often. Blade has had a couple of tiddles in his crate this week due to the drinking more. I just say nothing and change his towel and clean up. Lots of praise when the pup goes outside and a little treat too maybe and i am sure things will improve in time. :thumbup:

Just one thought, maybe she could mention to the vets when she has her vaccination (or earlier if she is concerned) and they can check her urine and eliminate an infection as pups (especially girls) can get cystitis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice