Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Pads = NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by keeleyjane19, May 20, 2010.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I used these once before and found it a nightmare!! All they want is the puppy pad to do business on and not the grass!

Definately slowed down the toilet training process!

NEVER again!! xx

2. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

I tried them for about 2 days, Trigger woud do his business anywhere but the pad.

However he did quite like the pad for a snooze on:DAfter 2 days all pads and newspaper was lifted and just taught him to go outside.

3. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I used them when we got Bailey, didn't slow down his toilet training at all lol.

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Puppy pads work fine for me! The dogs know to go on the pads or outside. TBH now the weather is nice hardly anybody uses the pads now.:)

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

LOL i still have a pack under the stairs with only 1 used :lol:

6. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

we found tht it help us get Kya through the night at first and she was house train quick...

just meant we didn't need to get up at night she went on the pad then went bk to bed then we slowly got rid of them

7. Arlani

Arlani PetForums Junior

I've never used them, but I don't think it would help a lot :D When my dog was a puppy he would do his business everywhere where he was feeling like it, after a while he just got used of doing it outside:p

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I tried putting them down once.

Five minutes later it looked like a snow storm had hit the house so I removed the shreds of pad from Otto's mouth, cleaned up the mess and never used them again!

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Worked great for us. Guess its individual dogs and circumstances :)

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think we all moved a lot quicker years ago when they used the newspaper for fear it would soak through, which in turn made us more keen to get the job done and have them using the garden.

I used them for Heidi but not for long. Some people seem to use them for ages.

11. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

I have used them out of necessity as we have 40 below stretches here and new small pups just can't be expected to go out even for 30 seconds.

I find pups started on pads are slower to train to grass and more apt to, in later life, use small matts to pee on instead of opting for outside (in bad weather).

CC

12. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

they worked fine for us. Whenever we went out, we'd leave one down by the back door, so that she knew where to go. Didn't slow toilet training down at all.

13. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I tried them with Monty and the dogs used them as toys. I now use them under the blakets of my old dogs so if they leak it doent go right through to the soft beds so only have to wash blankets everyday

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

We've never had a pup so haven't ever used them but I always thought they would just slow the process down too, i'd rather have a pup used to going outside as soon as possible rather than allowing it somewhere in the house to go to the toilet :confused:

my nan had two shih tzus and she used newspaper for them and they were never, ever completely toilet trained and always went in the house. Same with her westie.

15. GoldenShadow

Problem is some of us can't let pup out in the garden til they've had their jabs :)

16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I realise that, that's why I said 'as soon as possible', rather than using them for a prolonged period as seems to be the case sometimes.

17. GoldenShadow

Yeah. I have to say if our garden was safer from the start I wouldn't have bothered with them I doubt. They are great if you can't use your garden til jabs are done etc but I wouldn't choose to use them if I had a choice :)

18. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Personally, I don't like them. They get shredded, have to be taped down or put in a frame and teach the dog to urinate in the house.

19. Becki&Daisy

Becki&Daisy PetForums Senior

Daisy was toilet trained really well and really quickly on them!
    Only shredded one too!

Obviously most aren't that lucky! :eek:

20. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

LOL

I never bothered. Tried newspaper and he clawed it to death. I ended up letting him do his business on my bathroom floor until he could hold long enough to go downstairs every few hours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice