Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy owners!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by turkeylad, Jul 20, 2009.

1. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

On a recent thread İ was surprised at how many people are feeding there puppies only once a day - My 9 week old Torba is currently on 5 meals a day reduced from every hour. How many times a day do other people feed there pups????

2. when holly was a puppy we fed her four times a day then once she was 6 months she had three aday up untill she was a year old. and from there two meals a day

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Don't have a puppy at the minute but when we did they were fed 4 times a day at first that was finally reduced to the two we give them now about 6 months. I thought you were meant to give them a few meals a day.

4. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

We are feeding Nelly 4 times a day (she is 8 weeks old).:)

5. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

my Youngest Echo was droped down to one meal a day at about 13 14weeks but that was because she refused to eat during the day. she would only eat at night with the others, but she was on 3/4 a pund of mince meet in that meal.

i think 5 is a bit exesive for 9 weeks id say 3 meals echo was on 3 meals when se got her at 8 weeks.

oh she is now 10 months and is strong and healthy.

6. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

Our pup was down the 2 meals per day, so thats what we've stuck too, and we've gradually increased the amount we give her aswell. Vet seemed happy with this!

7. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Harley is fed 3 times a day.

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Otto is 7 weeks 3 days old and is fed 4 times a day.

9. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Alfie is offered food 3 times a day BUT he hardly eats anything for breakfast so then his next meal is around 1pm and he eats a little bit. His tea around 7pm he eats quite a lot.

Who said to feed every hour?? That's a lot!

10. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Indy when we got her was on 4 a day (13 weeks), when she came to us she moved to 3, and at 5 months or so down to 2.

11. Kian's dad

Kian's dad PetForums Junior

Kian is now 17 weeks old and has always been fed 3 times a day.... larger portions now of course :D

12. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

My 9 week and 14 week old english bull terriers are fed 3 times a day...they are on dry food...i think this is plenty for them...once the youngest reaches 12 weeks then advised by the vet to drop to twice a day...i still feed the 14 week one 3 times a day as its unfair for him to watch the youngest eating!

13. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

All my puppies over the year's & the current litter have 4 meal's a day until 12 week's old, 3 a day until 6 month's when they are cut down to their 2 a day!
    In your situation TL you are doing right by Torba as he was so very skinny when he came to you....you do a great job :D

14. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

His reduction is slower as he was on hourly feeds 24/7 next week will reduce to 4 if vet is happy with progress.

15. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Pippa is 11 wks old and is fed 4 meals a day :)

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave was still on 4 a day at 8 weeks when the litter left.
    I think I dropped it to 3 when he was about 14 weeks, and down to 2 at 4 months when he lost interest in lunch.
    I will always feed him 2 meals a day as he is a big dog and 24 hours is too long for a big stomach between meals. He gets fed at 7.30 am and 6 pm. Course I also have to feed Dixie twice a day so she doesn't feel left out.

x

17. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

Hi i have a 17 week old westie puppy and he is on 3 meals a day. was going to drop it down to two meals at 6 months and move onto junior dry food too. he is fed on james wellbeloved dry food and a little bit of chicken or mince or puppy packet food or scrambled egg with grated carrot as advised by his breeder who is also a friend as she lives two doors down

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our Bichon puppy who is 14 weeks is on 3 meals a day. I always thought it was four meals a day until three months and then reduce to three meals a day but our vet said to give her three meals a day when she was 10 weeks old.:confused: She's doing well on three meals a day though and putting the weight on and growing nicely.:D She's on puppy/junior Naturediet and loves it.

19. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Logan (our gsd) came to us 2 days off of 8 weeks old and was on four meals a day, we put him on 3 at 14 weeks and he is now 20 weeks and fed twice a day.

20. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

When I got him at 7 1/2 weeks Roo was on 4 meals, at 12 weeks I reduced to 3, then at 6 months reduced down to 2. He is now 11 months and will stay on 2 meals for the rest of his life.

I think you can tell by the dog themselves sometimes, originally when Roo went down to two meals he just wouldn't eat it all as he wasn't used to that extra amount, took him a while to adjust etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice