Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy owners dont despair!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lexie2010, Mar 31, 2011.

1. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

i just thought i would offer a little light at the end of the (very dark) tunnel to those who are despairing at puppy and teenage problems......i was (and sometimes still am!!) that person who thought their pup was more problematic than most and lexie truely tried my patience and i wondered was i cut out for having a dog from 8wks of age (my posts over the past 10mths prove it!).
    I know its not a huge achievement but last night she passed her bronze award and i know that with more time and effort she can go further, hopefully! she was just a year old 2weeks ago so i know i still have a lot of work to do on the teenage phase she is going through. There were times when she seemed like her goal in life was to chew my hand off and slowly but surely she is maturing into a lovely dog who i hope will be part of our family for a very long time. :D

2. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

How lovely, you must be so proud, it really is the result of your constant commitment that has done it, and that it is what most puppy owners need to know that even in times of despair you need to keep at it, cos it will get better eventually.

3. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

YAAY well done Lexi and you too :D Hopefully you are through the worst of it all now and can really begin to enjoy your puppy xxxx

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Well done you :D good luck with your future training :D

- so many people simply give up :(

I can remember when number 2 joined us - I'd never had a puppy like it :eek: I think her mission in life was to ensure I went through the rest of mine without a nose !!! - she was completely and utterly bonkers.

She is now 5, and still a bit bonkers - but awww - I love her more than life itself - and the little minx has well and truly cemented her place in my heart.

I'm never quite sure which is worse sometimes, a pup who is a horror bag from the off, or one who is an angel and then suddenly turns into a demon at around 10 months to a year - really kicking their owners into touch (and often their way back to the breeder or into rescue :( )

Our youngest was 6 months this week, and apart from a few hiccups with his house training - he simply is too good to be true - we keep looking at him and wondering when he is likely to change :eek:

5. Hector's Mum

Hector's Mum PetForums Newbie

I'm thinking the same thing with Hector. He is only 11 weeks old, but he has been fantastic. House training has been a breeze (apart from taking him out every 30 mins!!!) and training is going well. It's been a lot easier than I thought it would be ........... but I'm just waiting for something to hit the fan :eek:

I can't remember what it was like with No 1 as it was 11 years ago, so it's like going through it all over again!!

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Lol - we've got 7 aged 8 to 6 months - three that we bred here - so I've not really had time to forget :eek: (although it's surprising how quickly you do forget).

My 5 girls can be madams - but bar the youngest, I've been very lucky in fairness that they have quietened down around the adolescent time - usually coinciding with their first season.

Boys OTOH can lull you into a false sense of security - I can remember ending up nearly in tears a few times with my oldest in the showring - he just became completely deaf. He's nearly 3 now, and although still bouncy - has chilled out a lot - he's also a lot less 'in your face' than the girls are - if I go out, when I come back, he just lifts his head as if to say "oh it's you" and then goes back to sleep.

But I've never had a puppy like my youngest boy - making us even more nervous that all of a sudden he will simply 'change'!!! :eek:

7. gizzmo341

gizzmo341 PetForums Junior

yes it is and good on you both for passing... now frame the cert. and be very proud!:D

8. tiny

tiny PetForums Member

well done lexie!!!! my little minx couldnt even walk on a lead today.

lanzarote oct 10 050.jpg

9. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

What a lovely post for puppy owners to read!It is a testing time when they are gnawing you to death and really pushing their luck,but when you see what you get at the end of it,it makes it all worth while!Well done on getting your bronze award and extra cuddles for Lexie for being a good girl x

10. ZeusBeagle

ZeusBeagle PetForums Junior

Awww congratulations Lexie - you clever clever girl!

And what a positive post! It really is hard having a puppy (well it was for us!), especially your first puppy, I know the first month with Zeus was terrible and I was an emotional wreck thinking I couldn't cope and am I doing the best for my little puppy - but perseverence pays off -and now we couldn't be without him. Zeus is still really young so we still have a way to go but we know there is light at the end of the tunnel and especially with the help of this forum it has really reaasured us! You really have to ignore the bad days and really embrace the good ones :)

This morning we had such a lovely walk in the sunshine and he was such a good boy, just makes me realise all the reasons why I wanted a dog in the first place.

Congrats again Lexie - the bronze award is a great achievement - i'm hoping to complete it with Zeus soon.

Keep up the good work x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice