Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy overnight

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by golfchick, Mar 26, 2011.

1. golfchick

golfchick PetForums Senior

A quick query as its been so long since i've had a puppy I've forgotten somethings. We've crating Zeva in the kitchen and so far its going quite well, we put her in when shes tired wait til she settles and then leave the room and go about jobs etc and shes fine with it until she wakes up and then of course whines to get out and when we do let her out we take her to the toilet. I wait until shes quiet even for a second and then let her out. Overnight last night she whined every hour give or take and we took her out and she pee'd or poo'd everytime then went back in and settled again.

The question I have is when should i start stretching the time when she wakes and whines before we let her out? Or will she do it naturally and her bladder gets bigger etc? I know its only been two nights but just want to now when I can start trying.

2. Hayden

Hayden PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I think you are going about it the right way. Here are a couple of things to try first.

Remove all water and food from around 6-7pm onwards as this will help your puppy too not need to go as much.

Try and spend some time to play with your puppy. The reason being is you want to wear them out. In addition I would try and not let your puppy nap for at least 2 hours before bed time.

Usually a young puppy will need to go out a couple of times in the night to pee so you will have to get used to it.

And yes I would start to stretch out the time.

I hope this helps

Hayden

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Im assuming as you have just got her and she is very young, shes on at least 3 probably 4 meals even a day, When they are small they do not have the capacity to hold themselves for long. It does get better as they grow, and they also get better with toilet training and recognise more the need to go.
    I personally wouldnt withold water, puppies can dehydrate easily, and especially if fed on a dry food she will get thirsty and need to drink. Also the stress of leaving mum and litter mates can upset tums and even cause loose motions. Ive found with mine as they get older the times in the night reduces and then will stop. If she is crying because she needs to go, and you dont let her out, and because of the limited capacity she cant hold it she is just going to do it in the crate anyway.

If shes crying because she is stressed, you can do things like, putting an old t shirt or jumper in her bed so she has your familiar smell, or even a large soft toy to cuddle up to, as she would with litter mates. Leaving a radio down low on a talking station can help, as the sound of voices can re-assure them. DAP dog appeasing pheromone diffusers can calm and soothe them. If some of the time it is because she has woken and stressed because she is alone because its early days and she still has to adjust, then it might help.

4. golfchick

Shes still on 4 meals a day so its hard to withhold food and water just yet within so many hours before bed. I think I might try the radio on low thing, she has a towel with her mums smell on it but hadnt thought of putting something n with our smell too so ill get on that too. I've put her some soft toys in to chew already and shes got a kong in there with something tasty.

The schedule today may work out a bit better, shes going for a snooze now so hopefully when she wakes up we can tire her out for a better time scale for bed.

I guess just need reassurances i'm doing right thing, like most people im finding it quite stressfull and im either up or down atm and i've stopped eating and no appetite either.

5. Sled dog hotel

As I said I wouldnt withold food or water at all personally. If you have an old large stuffed toy, they do like cuddling up to it. I went to see a friends new pup yesterday and she has lots of stuffed toys in there and she feel asleep laying on and cuddling up to them, my friend had pics of her when she was with her litter and thats how they were all sleeping in the litter too. So they must find the soft toys a comfort.

It is quite stressful and a bit of a culture shock too with a new pup, but it does get better so hang on in there.

6. Hayden

Hayden PetForums Newbie

Good call on the radio....I have also heard an analogy clock can work wonders...It is thought to remind them of their Mum heart beat.

I have limited food and water in the past and it has worked. I understand they can dehydrate.....so if you do try this maybe just limit, not completely take away.

Good Luck let me know how you get on.

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Is she about 8 weeks (or older?)

You are doing the right thin in waiting until she is quiet before letting her out - but we sometimes forget these pups can be cleverer than we give them credit for - after only two nights - I would reasonably expect (particularly if she is an only dog) - some attention whining.

Personally, I would be stretching the intervals already - you might have to be prepared for a few soiled crates (or you could be lucky) - but by doing so, you will get into a routine of knowing how long she can go.

I have to say - mine only tend to be let out once during the night between around 11am and 5.30am.

I always give my pups their last meal as late as I can possibly get away with - toilet them and then pop them in to sleep - you find that nice full tummy feeling helps them sleep through the night ;)

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I got my pup at 9 weeks old; he generally went out once per night at around 0300, then started sleeping right through at around 11 weeks. Mind you apart from on his second night when he whined for 10 minutes, he has never cried or made a noise in his crate unless he needs the toilet so I have been incredibly lucky in that respect.

I would think that you do need to stretch the times and ignore a bit of whining to see what happens as she will have you very well trained in no time at all otherwise!!

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I should have also said - we always now use a radio with our pups from the off (after finding it made a significant difference) - and have got into the habit of leaving a radio on when we go out for ALL the dogs.

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

hmmm I wonder how people managed before DAP difusers :confused:

Personally I don't leave water down after 10pm, I make the last meal 8pm. When we had our last litter here I managed to toilet train them all by 7 weeks, they were going through the night with no problem. Last let out was around midnight and I would just take 1 or 2 out at a time and make sure they went, I was up at 6.30-7am for first let out and the crate was always clean and usually dry too.

It always amazes me when I read that puppies of this age can't hold it through the night. Fair enough it may take larger breeds longer but they should still be able to hold it from 4 months. A dog or puppy will not dehydrate and die if the water is picked up before bed time :nono:

11. golfchick

ive set up a radio and will be putting an old jumper etc in and i think tonight we'll start stretching it a small bit and then start stretching it longer night by night and hope she gets the picture.

She's been having her tea at about 8pm but i think shes settled a bit more today and done poos through the day but the last two nights she was doing them overnight so that was wakening her.

#11 golfchick, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  12. Sled dog hotel

Pups only been home 2 nights so probably only 8 weeks. Ive found DAP diffusers helpful personally. Mine were given the opportunity to go if they needed to in the night at first, and within a couple of weeks were going through naturally anyway. Plus had constant access to water if they needed it.

13. golfchick

yes shes only 8 weeks, i think ill stretch it by only a couple of mins, atm getting straight up, they have dogs next door and know we have a puppy so im sure they wont mind. Set up a walkie talkie system for tonight so we're both in our beds and put a jumper in for her to try and settle her.

Keep telling myself its very early days, only the second but its making me feel quite ill!! And relax.......

14. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Yes - I have to say I have never been overly comfortable with the idea of withdrawing water overnight - particularly so if the pup is fed on dried food.

15. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

With water, found was usually dry at night at 8 weeks from the start.
    The pup drank if he was thirsty not just because it was there :)

Full housetraining took longer of course.

16. Sled dog hotel

It is only early days, and it will take him awhile to settle to his new home and be without litter mates. Everythings totally strange. If when you had taken him out he hadnt done anything, I would say then he was trying it on a bit, but as you said everytime he cried and you took him out he peed and pooped,
    then settled easily after again. I think there is your answer he must need to go at the moment. Popping him out must be better than keep washing and clearing up a poopy and urine soaked crate. By taking him out and giving him the opportunity to go in the "right" place only, Ive found it helps them train quicker personally.

17. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

I know I might get shot for this but... :D

When Drym was a pup, at night I put him in a box by my bed, when he woke up I placed my hand in the box and reasurred him, if he woke up and needed a pee I got out of bed and took him out for the toilet, I did this for a week or so then he would sleep through the night without disturbing me in his box, he never cried or peed in the house at all x

I did the same for Fey until I got her a crate

However I think if I had a pup now I would never be able to wake up in the night and make it outside without falling down the stairs or crying - GOT TO GET MY SLEEP lol

golfchick likes this.
  18. Sled dog hotel

If your shot, Im going to get shot too, I slept downstairs and took mine out when they woke or stirred for 1st couple of weeks, then when they could go through the night and didnt need to go, the lot came back upstairs again and slept in the bedroom where they always sleep. Thats probably punishable by hanging drawing and quatering to some:nono::laugh:

golfchick likes this.
  19. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We were on 3 meals a day at 8 weeks, and last meal was 7pm. She was in her crate, inside a puppy pen, so a small bowl of water was left down. We only took her out once a night for wees overnight. We had her in the kitchen, and we slept in with her for a couple weeks until she was settled.

20. golfchick

just wanted to thank you for your reply. It's really made me feel a lot better, im trying so much to make her an independant doggy who can cope when shes alone and yet loves us a lot at the same time. I should remember theres no hard and fast rules about how long it takes and what should and shouldnt be done. Everybody does what works for them and its only day 2!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice