Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy on lead

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cavalierlover123, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Just wondering how to train a puppy on a lead, what are the do's and dont's?
    I brought pippa my 9 week old pup for a walk saturday evening and today.. she wont move lol at first.. i have to keep calling her.
    how will i train her to be really good on the lead?
    Cassie my other dog was brilliant when we first brought her for a walk she never once pulled me and still never does. she was 16weeks when we got her.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

To get mine used to their leads I used a very light weight puppy lead, clipped it on and let it trail so they could get used to it being there. Then just encouraged them to follow me around and walk by my side using treats etc. Once they were doing that with out bothering about the lead I picked it up and repeated, never putting any tension on the lead as when I did that they just resisted and pulled back.
    I did this around the house and garden until 10 days after their final vaccination then started out in the big wide world.
    So they weren't frightened when we went for their 1st walk I took carried them out and about giving them as many different experiences as possible, such as standing by the horses field and the bus stop.

3. Cavalierlover123

I was using a lil guinea pig harness for now, as i cant find any thing else that will fit her properly. i have a small collar her from when cassie as a pup, but it looks horrible on her cause shes so small. i'll give that a try thanks fleur!:)

4. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Like fleur i just put the lead on and let him trail it then picked it up and lightly holding it, off we went :D

5. dohaspecial

dohaspecial PetForums Junior

Deefer doesnt have a problem with the lead or the collar, his problem is that he wants to stop and spend forever sniffin every spot along the pavement and when there is as much litter and stuff on the pavements as there is near me that is a lot of stopping!

Other times he just decides for 5 mins that he doesnt actually want to walk anywhere right now and just sits down. i have been turning my back on him and ignoring him which does work but im not really seeing any overall improvement with time just yet :(

6. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Show her some stinky treats, put said stinky treats in your hand down by your side and walk... she'll soon get the idea!!

7. Cavalierlover123

Thanks alot for the advice going to try bringing treats later this eve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice