Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy not sleeping through night

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ellskc99, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Ellskc99

Ellskc99 PetForums Newbie

Hoping someone can help as I’m starting to give up
    I’ve had my Labrador pup for around 2 months now, she’s 16 weeks old and she still won’t sleep through the night.
    First 2 weeks she woke us howling, barking, crying every 2hrs through the night. This has got better, sometimes she will only wake us a couple of times, however, we are still having nights where she wakes us up 4 times in the night.
    She sleeps in her crate (locked & covered) downstairs as we don’t have the room for her in our bedroom or landing. I’m thinking of turning the spare bedroom into her room instead?? We’ve tried leaving her with our clothing, hot water bottle, heart beat toys etc but nothing seems to be working. Unfortunately we can’t just leave her to cry in the night as it wakes the neighbours & Bella will bark & howl (very loudly) for at least 20mins. Most times she doesn’t want to go to the toilet, she’s very good with her toilet training so the problem is more separation anxiety I think?
    Any advice would be appreciated x

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Can you sleep in the same room as her? I'd do that for a week or so until she's falling asleep easily. You want to show her that you are there for her when she wakes up in the night. It's not a case of her just getting used to it, she is a baby and literally needs you when she's scared and alone. You definitely don't want to leave her to cry it out. That will not only break your relationship, but also cause separation issues rather than solve them. Emotionally fulfilled dogs who feel safe and happy are less likely to develop separation related behaviours as they grow up.
    Putting her in the spare room could help, but you'd still need to sleep in there with her for a week to settle her, then you can move back to your bedroom when she's sleeping well throughout the the night.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

She’s learned from day one that nighttime is stressful sadly, when she really needed company and reassurance, so I’d change the routine completely to try and alter her mindset.

Putting her crate (or forget the crate entirely and just have her bed) in the spare bedroom and sleep in there with her so she feels safe and secure again.

If she wakes you’ll be able to hear and get her out to the toilet if necessary, or can tell her gently to settle.

Once she’s happy and settled through the night you can gradually move yourself away.

A baby gate at the door is helpful rather than a solid door which can cause anxiety in some dogs.

Sarah H and Boxer123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice